SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#441149 - 11/20/17 11:14 AM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
People spend big bucks on quality pianos but they not only get the elevated playing experience but a good resale value where it may actually appreciate. Unfortunately electronics of all kinds are like boats with their depreciation.
So the question is if your a home player is the keyboard worth it to make you happy ( and we all know you can't put a price on happiness ) and you don't care about the resale ,or are you a working musician who depreciates his gear for tax purposes and uses it as a tool for his business? Will it generate more business to justify the coast.?
Personally I doubt it but again if it makes you happy go for it.
Bottom line is if you can afford it life is too short so have fun either way.

#441157 - 11/20/17 03:42 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: travlin'easy]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Bottom line, if you don't perform for a living, and just enjoy playing and sounding good, buy the damned thing. You only go around once and I don't know about you guys and gals, but I'm not leaving my money to the kids to piss away. Hell, they're already getting my sailboat, music gear and the house when my wife and I are dead. What more could they want? wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary: Would you please buy a damn Genos so we can get your expert opinion on how great the thing is. Donny is chomping at the bit. I’m ready to take a bullet from my wife. I’m sure there are others on the fence that might fall on the Genos side with your purchase of one.

Besides...you deserve it!!!

#441159 - 11/20/17 04:30 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well, I came pretty close when a young couple approached me to buy the boat last month, but they couldn't come up with the money, so I guess I will have to stick with my S-950 for now. The boat is still up for sale if any of you folks are interested in buying a sailing yacht. (Yes, it's a yacht!) smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441167 - 11/20/17 08:23 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: shueymusic]
Bachus Offline

[quote][/quote]
Originally Posted By shueymusic
Many dealers who sell Clavinova are happy with the bigger margins. Back when the Tyros started to jump in MAP (minimum advertised price) those dealers were the drive in upping the profit margin.

I think the T3 price was $4299... When I was selling keyboards, I sold it for $3399 and still made a good profit. The owner sent me a message and said why do you sell it so low? I told them that we only sell one or two a year, and this was a guy is already a returning customer from the T2.

That’s the same thing that’s happening with the Genos right now. $5499 in the US is the minimum advertised price. If you advertise below that price, you could lose your dealership. So, once you get the customer into your store, you can start to have private conversations about what they are willing to pay. The dealer has to make a certain amount of profit overall in their business to stay in business. A Genos sale can be a huge payday for the salesman and the store. But you will be expected to do a lot of customer service with that sale.

I wonder how much it cost to actually make the Genos?!?
Developing… Sampling… Engineering… Programming… Manufacturing… Shipping from China🇨🇳 … Shipping from California to the rest of the USA…Yamaha Japan’s 🇯🇵 cut... Yamaha USA’s 🇺🇸 cut... Dealer’s cut... Everybody needs a piece of the Genos pie!! 🥧

I think total hardware component costs might be less then $200 max $300

Its the software devlopment and espescially the sound and style engineering that cost most money with a product like the Genos that does not sell in large vollume..

The hardware costs of the montage are definately higher then the Genos, with the aloy casing. And the much better knobs..

Edited by Bachus (11/20/17 08:25 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#441177 - 11/21/17 01:03 AM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
The dealers must be getting the genos at $2000-$2500 i think and making alot of money even with discounts

#441178 - 11/21/17 02:06 AM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: rolandfan]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By rolandfan
The dealers must be getting the genos at $2000-$2500 i think and making alot of money even with discounts

Nah... that would be a tad to low...

I guess its more like €3000 here in europe (€2500 witouth sales tax)
Any cheaper would really really surprise me..

But they are not allowed to sell under the lowest price set by Yamaha
Thats why some dealers offer more money for a trade in instrument then they actually sell for..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#441179 - 11/21/17 03:52 AM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Here's my nickel and dime opinion on the pricing. From 1975 to 1978 I worked selling pianos and organs, the dealership was the franchisee for Steinway pianos and Hammond Organs. The family business had a sister store that catered to other musicians since they sold guitars, drums and band instruments.

Steinway would not allow discounting to the point where the dealer could lose the franchise if the piano was sold at a discount. Hammond organs and other band instruments as I recall were called a B item, if my memory serves me correctly a B item was one where the dealer's cost was 60% of MSRP.

In the case of Genos MSRP is $6799, 20% off =$5439, the large music dealers in the US are advertising the Genos at $5499, so the B item theory seems to hold true if it does then the dealer's cost may be about $4079. When you do the math if the B theory holds true for Genos, not everyone is making lots of money.

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/21/17 03:54 AM)
Edit Reason: rewording

#441187 - 11/21/17 07:35 AM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
OK...how much did you guys pay for discounted T5??
Is the discounted today price that much more for Genos?

I'm guessing no...but I didn't get a T5...even though I priced one.

#441189 - 11/21/17 08:17 AM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I had a retail store, we had two markups. The big ticket items usually had a markup of just 25 percent, while low priced items had a 40 percent markup. However, major purchases, such as boats, outboard motors and trailers, only provided us with a 10 to 15 percent markup. Those items were floor planned, which meant the manufacturer paid the interest on the bank loan made to purchase them for inventory. Floor planning only lasted six months, therefore, if you didn't sell them all within that period you had to shell out the interest to the bank, which destroyed any possible profit in a very short time.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441192 - 11/21/17 08:34 AM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

With almost 1000 hours this post I guess people think Genos is too expensive...?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online