SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#440787 - 11/12/17 01:01 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

From a point of education...

If you want to learn play keyboards..
Start with a piano...
Preferably a good digital piano...
With good sound and keyboard...

And then add the bells and whistles over time..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#440790 - 11/12/17 03:50 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Sorry Bachus you made it sound like work; although you are speaking wisdom.
For me the keyboard has always been fun – very much like a new toy. After performing with a band for many years I turned to becoming a OMB when I moved to Florida in 1984. I was back to having a full band again ---I loved it.

Bachus I did practice scales and arps. in the middle of enjoying and having fun.

Nice post, John C.

#440799 - 11/12/17 06:36 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
zuki Offline

Lugging around big organs for years has paid off. I stayed with the instrument, long enough to enjoy the arranger.

What a great tool (arranger) to allow me to be part of someone's life, for a short time.

As time permits, I love to listen to the residents' stories and of course they need someone to listen!

It is the only job that has totally fulfilled me in every way.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#440803 - 11/12/17 08:24 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Bachus
From a point of education...

If you want to learn play keyboards..
Start with a piano...
Preferably a good digital piano...
With good sound and keyboard...

And then add the bells and whistles over time..

Bachus, I think accordion was perfect to learn keyboard..
By design you have circle of 4ths going down and circle of 5ths going up on the bass buttons..
All accordion students learn theory, I cannot say the same for typical piano students..
Also accordion players have a strong foundation to play chords and understand the voicings and intervals... Piano students not so much..

I also believe that accordion students can adapt to left hand bass easier than piano students..

Both develop strong reading skills.. with slightly different bass cleft side of things..

BTW: some of the best all around keyboard players I know are mostly trained accordionist..

I would say the top three players I know are accordion players first, and excel on keyboard, organ, and piano too

#440823 - 11/12/17 06:42 PM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, (Zuki) one of the stories I heard that sent chills down my spine was from a resident in a Jewish retirement community near Owings Mills, Maryland. I played for his 97th through 100th birthdays, he was always very pleasant, had a very strong accent that at first I could not place. He was from Romania and during WWII he was a Colonial in the Romanian Army. He was captured by the Nazis, sent to Buchenwald where he was tattooed on his forearm with a number, then sent to a slave labor camp, where he spent the next two years. When he was liberated by the US Army, he was one day away from being sent to the gas chamber. He said during those two years of imprisonment he lost nearly 80 pounds and only weighed 75 pounds when he was liberated. He lost his entire family while he was incarcerated, both parents, his brother and sister, and his wife and child. They were all executed by the SS because he was Jewish. I felt very fortunate to know him, and to hear his life's story, which brought tears to my eyes. He was a very compassionate individual and attended every performance during my decade of playing at that facility. He passed away just prior to his 101st birthday.

Fran, write this on your calendar - I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT ACCORDION PLAYERS BEING THE BEST ARRANGER KEYBOARD PLAYERS. smile Piano players, especially those that are trained, are often quite good, but for the most part, they can't hold a candle to a good, trained accordion player, at least that has been my experience.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#440827 - 11/12/17 08:30 PM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Piano players, especially those that are trained, are often quite good, but for the most part, they can't hold a candle to a good, trained accordion player, at least that has been my experience.
Cheers,
Gary cool

surprised. WOW ... I was raised on the accordion, I love the instrument, and through my accordion teacher who was very much involved in the American Accordionists Association, I got to know many of the great Accordionists, but I could never agree with the above statement ... Obviously there are talented piano and accordion players of all levels, but to say that a good trained piano player could "not hold a candle" to a good accordion player is really going off the deep end ...
I love ya, Gary, BUT ...

#440829 - 11/12/17 10:03 PM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Piano players, especially those that are trained, are often quite good, but for the most part, they can't hold a candle to a good, trained accordion player, at least that has been my experience.
Cheers,
Gary cool

surprised. WOW ... I was raised on the accordion, I love the instrument, and through my accordion teacher who was very much involved in the American Accordionists Association, I got to know many of the great Accordionists, but I could never agree with the above statement ... Obviously there are talented piano and accordion players of all levels, but to say that a good trained piano player could "not hold a candle" to a good accordion player is really going off the deep end ...
I love ya, Gary, BUT ...

With some people you have to put some balance to their answers to find what they really are trying to say...

Obviously Fran is a Roland player that was trained on Accordions. And probably he thinks the same way about both. Which is offcourse his opinion.

But i think he just wants to say, that ROland makes great instruments, and accordeon training can be a very good way to start ones musical career. Which are both very correct statements.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#440839 - 11/13/17 10:51 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
(OT) Tony, please see the "Hey Tony" post from last week about the Jazz book in circulation. "Inquiring minds want to know...".

R.

#440841 - 11/13/17 01:02 PM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, I was referring to their ability to play an arranger keyboard - not play piano or accordion. Now, Joe Ayala was a great piano player, and he played one hell of a keyboard as well. Ray Bastianolli was a fantastic accordion player, and was also an incredible arranger keyboard player, as is the case with you, DNJ,Eddie Shoemaker, Don Mason, Steve, and and lots of others on this forum and those that I know personally in the Baltimore Metro area. Not too many piano players around anymore, but there are a lot of ex accordion players that are still out there (in the trenches as Donny would say) and working as much or as little as they wish. Jerry Burns was a great, Peabody trained pianist, but he was a lousy keyboard player. It wasn't that he could not play, but he never learned the intricacies of the OS of any arranger keyboard he ever owned. Consequently, his dead time between songs was horrendous and he was unable to transition through a song using the variations and associated voices. However, when he used his PSR-3000 as a piano, he sounded fantastic.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (11/13/17 01:06 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#440846 - 11/13/17 02:09 PM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I was a trumpet player in a former life. Never played piano or accordion. Bought an organ my senior year in college because the band needed an organ player! I pretty much learned everything I know on stage. I suppose that's why it has taken 50 plus years so far. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online