SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4398 - 06/21/07 11:10 PM Re: Why has it, become so quiet around here?
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
hell yes, chris hit the nail on the head so hard, it will never be pried out.

#4399 - 06/22/07 01:44 AM Re: Why has it, become so quiet around here?
Soft Machine Offline

If anything, there should be even more activity for there hasn't been this much developpement in the tech/synth world in a very, very long time.

There are so many more popular boards today and this one sadly doesn't come up in the firsts as it used to. It had it's time I guess. The website is still standing, which is cool, and there are still people here that are glad to help out. Gotta tip my hat to that.

[This message has been edited by Soft Machine (edited 06-22-2007).]

#4400 - 08/02/07 06:48 AM Re: Why has it, become so quiet around here?
epu Offline

I also remember a time when it was quite packed and busy (2000-2003). Perhaps its the popping up of software synthesizers/loop based products.

While they haven't really "replaced" "old school" synthesizers, the younger generation (and I'm a 27 year old teacher during the day), isn't as interested in begging their mother to buy a $2000 or even $500 keyboard when they can get an illegal copy of Fruity Loops from Limewire, which is sad.

It's the unfortunate downside to filesharing I guess. I can coun using all of your fingers how many people do this.

Even though I'm young, when I was "younger" this type of thing just really wasn't available yet (mid 90s) and those that were, didn't do good enough of a job that you'd replace your synths. So, when I'd watch Paul Shaffer with his Kurzweil and ASR10 on Letterman, I'd get excited. I used go straight from school to Sam Ash to play with the gear. People just don't have to do that anymore.

#4401 - 08/02/07 07:24 AM Re: Why has it, become so quiet around here?
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Wow, I haven't had a reply to this thread since June. Anyway, I just posted two new threads on here, since I hadn't posted for awhile. Speaking of computer based software, I have a Korg K61 controller keyboard with included software, which I have hardly used. It's in it's orignal box. Never really got into computer based instruments. You loose something in the virtual world.

I do own two synthesizers, that don't get used much either. Here's the kicker, I just picked up an old farfisa combo organ for 75 bucks. No amp, but I am planning to buy one. If I manage to get this thing to play with an amp, I may try that for awhile. I may not be much of a musician, but it's worth a shot.

#4402 - 08/03/07 01:21 AM Re: Why has it, become so quiet around here?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin Gazda:
Also, the teenagers must hate the 1995 stylings of this bulletin board. Has none of the "wet look" or whatever that bastard that changes my oil goes on and on about.

I like this bulletin board, but I fear it is not long for this world.

Text is text no matter how it is presented. In order to change to new software means abandoning the current database that covers 10 years of postings. That doesn't seem worth losing past posting to add a few glitzy features. Information is everything ... the interface is only temporary.

This forum has survived for almost 10 years in this format. It will probably last a couple more years at least.

#4403 - 08/03/07 08:18 AM Re: Why has it, become so quiet around here?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I think this board is fine and Nigel does a great job, I wouldn't change a thing, I think it is more the music industry and the way they make music that is changing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online