SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#440192 - 11/01/17 06:34 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: Dnj]
Tostie Offline

Quote:
A VERY True statement............are they staying away from showing the traditional styles we ALL use vs these EDmesque styles because they sounds just like T4, T5? or confused1

I've put some jazz/latin styles in the video and already did a BigBand style in my live broadcast. If you are talking about the Ballroom/Slowswing/60's styles: I personally never use them and found the difference with T5 less noticably (probvably the difference between being 27 years old versus 65+ grin).

Where they actually made big steps compared to T4 and T5 is the Pop/Rock/Dance department, mainly because these musical styles (especially EDM) lean heavily on DSP's and good production (mixing etc.). One of my friends is a big techno lover (the underground type) and he found the drum kick in styles acceptable for the first time.

#440193 - 11/01/17 06:47 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: travlin'easy]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Nice demo. That violin around 4min sounds terrible. It’s like a kid is trying to learn. They could do better with it.
Doesn’t anybody play some rock music??

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#440194 - 11/01/17 07:24 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: Tostie]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Tostie
Quote:
A VERY True statement............are they staying away from showing the traditional styles we ALL use vs these EDmesque styles because they sounds just like T4, T5? or confused1

I've put some jazz/latin styles in the video and already did a BigBand style in my live broadcast. If you are talking about the Ballroom/Slowswing/60's styles: I personally never use them and found the difference with T5 less noticably (probvably the difference between being 27 years old versus 65+ grin).

Where they actually made big steps compared to T4 and T5 is the Pop/Rock/Dance department, mainly because these musical styles (especially EDM) lean heavily on DSP's and good production (mixing etc.). One of my friends is a big techno lover (the underground type) and he found the drum kick in styles acceptable for the first time.

Thanx for the verification which makes it much clearer as to what Yamaha target audience is for genos regarding EDM type styles...
Id say the rest can still be done easily with T4, T5, S970..
the old gets phased out the new comes in as with all things.... Thanx

#440196 - 11/01/17 07:52 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
To all you naysayers, Mirza, DNJ, etc..., how about you going to the nearest music store that has a Genos, take along your trusty video camera and play it, record your playing of the styles you wish to hear and post them.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#440198 - 11/01/17 08:30 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I listened to it, and of course it sounds good. For the few styles that he played that I might use, I can't tell that it sounds better than other current arrangers though. Screen looks nice. I have heard the country styles are really good and the one or two I heard somewhere did sound great. Not great enough to make me want to change though.
Yamaha big band stuff has always been great, as has the horns, brass and guitars. I don't have an opinion on how good the EDM stuff is, because I'm afraid I don't even know what it's supposed to sound like. smile
I'm sure older Yamaha players will be pleased because it will surely be an upgrade from the Tyros/PSRs.

#440202 - 11/01/17 08:53 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: travlin'easy]
mirza Offline

Gary why naysayer?? Are you saying that violin around 4min is good sounding?? It’s horrible, and I love violin. To tell you the truth. Apart feom drums and piano , the rest of it sounds just like T5.
Actually, I think all these sa2 voices (sax, clarinet,flute,trumpet...etc) should be in true mono legato mode from the start. They are mono instrument anyway in a real life. Or at least to have a version of the same instrument in a mono legato mode to play it like a real thing. I know sa2 have legato playing, but it is not even close to what it could or should be.

Edited by mirza (11/01/17 09:00 AM)

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#440207 - 11/01/17 09:33 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: travlin'easy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Well folks, here is my judgment after owning and playing with my Genos for a week. It is a Yamaha with Yamaha voices and styles - simple as that. If you expected Korg-like or Ketron-like sounds you will be disappointed. The voices are pretty good and the styles are suitable for most music. The old styles that have been re-voiced are also nice. It would have been nice if Yamaha had replaced them but that is the way it goes. I upgraded from a Tyros 4 and find a very big improvement in sound overall.

Yamaha did add some nice features to the Genos that will make gigging easier and song set organization easier.

I have to agree with Gary, many of the forums are full of posts by people who have never touched or seen a Genos griping about what is or is not present in the Genos. They gripe about sound quality of recordings by people trying to show a little of what the Genos can do. I wonder if these folks understand these videos are not being produced by professional film makers who own or have access to high quality recording equipment. Frankly, I took all my videos down and have been a little disgusted with the reaction of people who seem to have nothing better to do but gripe.

Deane

#440211 - 11/01/17 10:03 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Mirza, the only strings I heard played with the right hand took place at just beyond 5 minutes and it was a cello - not a violin. And, to me, it sounded damned realistic.

Deane, some folks would bitch and gripe if you hung them with a brand new rope! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

#440213 - 11/01/17 10:13 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: travlin'easy]
mirza Offline

Violin sound is around 4min. Even cello is simular to violin.Sounds like a kid is playing it. Yamaha can do it better. Saxes are great. Clarinet is the best on any keyboard I ever heard. Drums are finally good on Yamaha.
Why you guys have problem if we discuss things we like or dislike on keyboards? Are we bunch of babies here? Is it so hard to give our egos a break before we get here?

#440214 - 11/01/17 10:36 AM Re: Damned this sounds good.. [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Are you talking about the strings in the style? As for a kid playing it, well I don't know about that as I am not an aficionado of violins. However, I did play a fiddle for a while for a country band, but I was never very good at it, though the other band members thought I was.

Now, I enjoy hearing the likes and dislikes, mainly because there has been lots of times that I have been able to help someone with their problems and provide them with a workaround or solution. For me, that is the enjoyment of this and other forums I frequently visit.

As to an ego, I lost that the very first time I looked in the mirror and realized that I really did not look like James Dean, though my wife and girlfriends thought I did at that age. wink

So, Mirza, I really look forward to you posting your video of you in the music store playing a Genos and posting your hands on thoughts on the product.

All the best,

Gary cool

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online