SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44011 - 06/23/02 08:18 PM I'M WITH YOU, GRAMPA DOUG!!!
NSR Offline

Loc: Sonora, CA USA
What in heaven's name are all these "Ss" doing in naming chords? Next, the Europeans will be telling us that an eighth note "C" is played differently in Europe. "Continental chord notation" (Ss) should play no part (excuse the pun) in naming chords that have originated from pure American jazz. Let's get real here for a moment - These fancy chord names came about due to Tin Pan Alley, which is pure American. Did it ever occur to any of you that POSITION is the key (pardon, another pun) to your problem of chord recognition? Good grief! I thought we all knew this when we got these high tech keyboards. I have the KN6000 and I have yet to have a problem with chord recognition PROVIDING, I don't use pre-set rhythms. Most of my work is in PIANIST mode. I compose my own jazz bass and drums and by having the ability to arrange well, have yet to have a problem with chord recognition, due to the bass playing the right note at all times. Using the same notes and depending on your ROOT position (not always) will change the name of your chord, as well as it should. When one learns chord substitution, you will dispense with the problem of chord recognition or care what the keyboard says it is playing.

#44012 - 06/24/02 01:46 AM Re: I'M WITH YOU, GRAMPA DOUG!!!
technicsplayer Offline

absolutely, see http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/000725.html

I agree with your point exactly, however, to be fair, there is a possibility that some of these chords were in use before Tin Pan Alley, and maybe even in Europe too?

#44013 - 06/24/02 09:32 AM Re: I'M WITH YOU, GRAMPA DOUG!!!
NSR Offline

Loc: Sonora, CA USA
The harmonies have been with us for centuries and most certainly had its start in Europe with classical music. It is the naming of the chords that haven't. If one goes back as recent as the 1920s (recent in music) you will not see chord names above the sheet music. Often times, there will be the guitar fret symbols but never the chord names. Even, by the 1930s, they were the basic chord names, i.e., Maj. min, aug, (+) dim, (o) and 7th chords. By the very late 30s, one started seeing, C7-9th, Cmi7-5 and by the late 40s and into the 50s, Db9b13, etc. This was seen on American popular standards, i.e., Tin Pan Alley. I believe the rest of the world followed suite.

#44014 - 06/24/02 01:17 PM Re: I'M WITH YOU, GRAMPA DOUG!!!
technicsplayer Offline

interesting.
I agree entirely about the shorthand way of describing extended chords, but that is pretty much the same and has just been added to the continental notation, ie the added7, 9, 11, 13 etc etc.

I think the major 7th is shorthand j in continental, but that is a pretty basic chord, I suppose.

But you could argue that the continentals started writing music down first, so it is us who should be calling Ab As!

I wouldn't like to have to re-learn everything at this stage though!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online