SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#439784 - 10/24/17 03:08 PM A camera and arranger keyboard are only...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
as good as the person behind it. I learned about the camera from Lefty Kreh, one of the world's best known fly anglers and outdoor photographers. Care to venture a guess who this one is?

Have fun,

Gary cool

Attachments
Guess who.jpg

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439801 - 10/24/17 06:23 PM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: travlin'easy]

WHAT - No guesses yet?

Gary cool

#439817 - 10/25/17 08:25 AM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: travlin'easy]

Believe it or not, this is a young Captain Russ.

All the best,

Gary cool

#439818 - 10/25/17 08:33 AM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Believe it or not, this is a young Captain Russ.

All the best,

Gary cool

When was it taken, 1918?

smile smile smile

chas

#439819 - 10/25/17 09:10 AM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yea, it's me, about 2011. The camera is a Calumet, about 10 years old. It's a monorail or view camera, and believe it or not, still a primary tool for certain work: particularly architectural photography. Companies like Toyo still make them. The body is relatively cheap...about $1500-5,000.00. Lenses can go $5,000 up.

Why use such a dinosaur? Two things:

First, the lense(s) often stop down to f64. The f stop adjustment is how you adjust depth of field, a critical variable in fine photography and architectural work. A good digital hand held lens usually stops down to 22 at a maximum.

2nd, the front lens board and the back which holds the digital sensor or film plate, and the side adjusters tilt and swing. If you use a stock camera, without this capability, everything is fine if you are shooting something "straight on". But, shooting from the top, the top is wider than the bottom. From the base of a building, for instance, the base is wider than the top. The wider the angle of the lens, the more pronounced is the distortion.

While you can correct some of this with Photoshop, you really need to use tilts and swings to get it right. You simply adjust the front, back and side standards so the taking medium is parallel to the object being photographed. The back of the film/digital unit holder has a glass with grids to use to correct the distortion.

The plate size (film or digital back) is 4x5 inches. By the time you use film, with one shot "on" exposure and a back-up, develop the negs and proof, you're talking about $10.00 a shot. With digital, the files are so big that nothing but a hard-wired computer with massive memory works. If you use film, you still have to do an expensive scan. But, if the final image is 20 x 30 feet, this is the only way to go. Even at $100.00 a finished shot cost, if the project: say a 16 page brochure contains 25 images, cost is $2500.00 of the $50,000.00 a top end run of 100,000.00 would be. And the smaller images with no parallel lines can be shot with smaller, faster and cheaper cameras (no scans). Scans vary in price by size.

On top of that, the images are upside down and backwards, and you close the lens before each shot, so you don't see what you're shooting last minute.

Why use this kind of equipment? For one reason, a full 8"x10" is 200% of the whole image. With old 35mm film, a complete image blow-up was 10"x12", which required careful shooting, cropping and additional grain.

When you shoot magazine covers, you simply place a negative containing the image of the masthead and the copy and shoot the image around those elements.

For rectangular products (washer and dryers, amplifiers, etc.) and architectural work correcting this kind of distortion separates the "men from the boys".

Lack of speed makes this a camera best suited to meticulous composition and extended sessions.

Excuse the rant, but we talk cameras here often. Wouldn't recommend one of these for most work, but for specific high end commercial stuff, its the best way to go. And, rates, depending on your reputation, go as high as $2,400.00 per day, plus $600 up for an assistant.

Take a 2nd look at photos next week. It's easy to tell where this kind of equipment was used, ad where it should have been.

Pop quiz to follow.

Russ(4-eyes) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (10/25/17 11:47 AM)

#439822 - 10/25/17 09:24 AM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You need an assistant? smile

#439826 - 10/25/17 11:51 AM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: DonM]

Chas, I rendered the output to change color and contrast, into a black and white, just to be sneaky.

Don, you know photographers charge for the assistant, but pay
about $20.00 per hour. The extra charge is for gaffers, support crew, etc. Some recent shoots required 5 people from the office.

R.

#439828 - 10/25/17 12:31 PM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Found another shot of Russ at work.

Attachments
cap.jpg

#439830 - 10/25/17 01:49 PM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: Jerryghr]

Really like that one! Camera works the same! That's at least an 8"x10" probably bigger. That's partially because finished photos were exactly the size of negs...no enlargements.

Lighting is a little better today. And, my mustache isn't as cool!

Thanks,

Russ

#439831 - 10/25/17 01:59 PM Re: A camera and arranger keyboard are only... [Re: travlin'easy]

Hmmmm! There is a striking resemblance, Russ. wink

As for the assistants, I sold a lot of cover shots in my day, but never felt the need for an assistant to do anything. Now, I did have to pay some models once in a while, but the fee was just $30 an hour plus travel expenses. With few exceptions, the models were mostly male, dressed in specific outdoor attire suitable for the subject matter of the magazine, and all they had to do was be able to cast a dry fly while standing in a creek, or run a boat while I shot the photos from the shore or a bridge. Most of the time, I used my teenage children for those cover shots - they loved the money, loved being on the cover of a major sports magazine, and they loved the outdoors. Wow, that was a long time ago. smile

Here's the cover shot I like the best, though. It is my grandson when he made the cover of a sporting apparel catalog.

Gary

Attachments
luke jpg.jpg

Edited by travlin'easy (10/25/17 02:00 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online