SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#439759 - 10/24/17 11:35 AM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By hammer
Bachus,
I did not have the Tyros 5 long enough to answer that question. I am using headphones right now and the sound is very good. Is it better than the T5 - I don't know. I am upgrading from the Tyros 4 and there is a difference.

I did experiment last night with changing drum kits and that can make a big difference in the style. I installed the semi-perm thumb drive with all my gig setups on it and will report back later about it.

So far the Genos is a lot faster than the T4 and the screen works great. Startup time has been improved and styles load very fast.

I am looking for a way to establish volume settings for style parts for each style and then being able to save that setup within the style. I suspect I will have to do that within a registration.

Deane

Dean you were doing so great wit the SD7....do you think the genos will replace it on stage or not...?

Edited by Dnj (10/24/17 11:36 AM)

#439802 - 10/24/17 06:29 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
No Donny, the Ketron SD7 remains my go to rig.
I’ll use the Genos on special holiday gigs.
Deane

#439803 - 10/24/17 07:32 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

No Donny, the Ketron SD7 remains my go to rig.
I’ll use the Genos on special holiday gigs.
Deane

Ok Deane keep us posted..thanx

#439838 - 10/25/17 04:39 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Ok, just got back from my first gig with the Genos and WOW!. You really need to hear the Genos with a first rate speaker system - a very big difference in overall sound. I used a single Bose L1 Compact for the gig. We shot about an hour of vides with the sound recorded with the camera. I will edit them tonight and shorten the total movie to no more than 15 minutes. This is a live gig and unfortunately there is a lot of background noise, but that is how it goes on live gigs. I'll post the youtube link tomorrow in this thread.

Also, the keyboard is noticeably lighter than the SD7 and the Tyros 4 and was very easy to transport. The screen works great for gigs. One thing, the music is from the 1940's on this gig. I do not DJ or do EDM type stuff - just simple arranger playing.
Also, there were no tweaks and I used mostly T4 styles for this gig.

Deane

#439839 - 10/25/17 04:54 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
So Dean...how does the Genos stack up against your other arrangers?

#439841 - 10/25/17 05:08 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Ok, just got back from my first gig with the Genos and WOW!. You really need to hear the Genos with a first rate speaker system - a very big difference in overall sound. I used a single Bose L1 Compact for the gig.

One thing, the music is from the 1940's on this gig. I do not DJ or do EDM type stuff - just simple arranger playing.

Deane

Deane, Thanks for the feedback.........no complaints on this end on hearing 40s music.

#439842 - 10/25/17 05:13 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: jingleman]
hammer Offline

Jingleman,
My go to keyboard is my Ketron SD7. I just sold my Tyros 4 when I knew the Genos was on it's way to me. If someone is upgrading from a Tyros 3 or Tyros 4 they are going to be very happy with the Genos. I don't know enough about the Tyros 5 to comment. This has to be put into perspective. I have no use for EDM technology. I have never used midi files or MP3 on gigs and don't see a time when I will. So, my interest lies in how well the Genos perfoms as a simple arranger keyboard and it does that extremely well. Also, since using my Ketron SD7 I have been more interested in tweaking styles and that technology is now included on the Genos and is simple to use.

Soundwise, those with Ketron hands on experience will understand when I say I have found NO OTHER KEYBOARD that comes close to matching Ketron's realistic sounds and rhythms.
I believe the Genos drums have been improved but still do not come close to what the SD7 offers.

I am very pleased with the Genos and have zero regrets about purchasing it. I will use the Genos for special holiday gigs and that is exactly why I upgraded from the Tyros 4.

Deane

#439845 - 10/25/17 06:26 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Thanks Dean...good luck and keep us posted on your experience with the Genos.

#439848 - 10/25/17 08:35 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Yes, Deane, looking forward to anything you post, since I play mainly the older styles, like you. However, if I spring for the Genos, having just sold my T5, it’s because of the improved sound quality and upgrades of the older-type styles. I’ve sat through, now, many of the early Genos demos of pounding bass drum and weird sounds----scrapes, grunts, car crash sounds, and what-not, I guess, representing contemporary music styles. I can just imagine how that would go over with the 50 to 80-year-old dinner crowd I play for---in a very quiet atmosphere. I’d be run out of the place for sure. I’m ready to hear some good demos of music from the 1930’s through the 1970’s.

#439861 - 10/26/17 05:39 AM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
+1 on getting some demos that is music I like....Soon please!
40's, 50's 60' and some modern as well...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online