SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#439563 - 10/22/17 01:14 AM Something to Think About
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have owned many, many keyboards from the Kn1000 to the Pa4x; and I have enjoyed every one of them. Guitar has been my main instrument since the beginning. I find more personal joy in playing my guitar.

I have been using the same guitar for years and it never bores me. I have been playing keyboards since 1975. I have been playing guitar since 1946.

For my type of playing the guitar I used at the beginning still has the same amount of strings and one pick up with two controls. The type of body has changed; and the electronics have become more sophisticated – but none of that interests me.

There is a player and an instrument deriving pleasure from their music. Where is the majority of the player pleasure coming from? Is it the instrument or himself?

My thoughts are from the view of a home player. Some of it may apply to the working musician.
I.M.H.O., John C.

#439565 - 10/22/17 02:21 AM Re: Something to Think About [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
From my standpoint, the joy is derived from making music that is worthy of the audience. I suppose if improvements had not been brought out in the sound and navigation, I would have been satisfied with my old Yamaha 6300. I think that is less true with a guitar, or piano for that matter, since they are not dependent on technical factors.

The only instrument I always get the most joy from is my Audya, especially with AJ's package. The sounds and styles are, to me, better than anything I have ever had.

Edited by Bernie9 (10/22/17 02:36 AM)

#439571 - 10/22/17 04:45 AM Re: Something to Think About [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Thank you for your reply Bernie. You have helped me bring out the point of my post. There is joy derived from the instrument like the Audya. The joy is being supplied to you by the manufacture. It comes from outside of you.

When playing instruments like guitar, piano and sax
the joy is in what YOU are creating.

Nothing is wrong here, both views have value; but it does bring clarity to one’s direction. There nothing wrong with putting together a combination of ideas.

Please keep in mind that my thoughts are from the view of a home player who is searching for joy in his music.

John C.
PS, I can’t wait until Donny gets his hands on this one.
(It’s the player – it’s the player) (he he)

#439582 - 10/22/17 06:09 AM Re: Something to Think About [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
The only instrument I always get the most joy from is my Audya, especially with AJ's package. The sounds and styles are, to me, better than anything I have ever had.

I personally have always liked the Audya ever since I played one in AJ's lab,....I think it's one of the the most innovative featured arranger KB to come out in years when it did,...that said it still sounds fantastic to this day and in the right hands can really do it all in many ways for the experienced player.

#439588 - 10/22/17 07:51 AM Re: Something to Think About [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I know this is getting away from the topic a little, but I liked the Audya as well. The reasons I sold it were the weight, the location of the pb and mod wheels, and the archaic operating system. I didn't have any instances where I needed support, so that wasn't a factor.
It has excellent sounds, styles and vocal processing and was totally groundbreaking when it was released. It took about a year for them to get the bugs out of it though.
Back to the topic, I started playing guitar in 1961, but I didn't pursue it nearly as aggressively as keyboards. I would have been really good by now, after 60 years of practice! smile
There is still something about just sitting down with a guitar and pickin' and grinnin', as they say in the south. I have several guitars and they all are special and each different from the other.
If I had to choose though, arranger is my instrument. It is different from a piano or an organ, or anything else. You have to know how to operate it and have a certain level of skill to get what you want from it. It does have the added benefit of letting you turn everything off and playing just a piano or organ, or any other sound alone, if you want. Only time I've ever done that is on rare occasions when I sit in with a band somewhere, usually for a benefit. I will be doing that today, and taking only the Korg Micro Arranger. Only thing I'll use is piano and organ. I won't do more than three or four songs at the most anyway, and may not use it at all, just sing. Every musician in the area will be there and I'm honored just to be able to participate.

#439592 - 10/22/17 08:15 AM Re: Something to Think About [Re: bruno123]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
I have owned many, many keyboards from the Kn1000 to the Pa4x; and I have enjoyed every one of them. Guitar has been my main instrument since the beginning. I find more personal joy in playing my guitar.

I have been using the same guitar for years and it never bores me. I have been playing keyboards since 1975. I have been playing guitar since 1946.

For my type of playing the guitar I used at the beginning still has the same amount of strings and one pick up with two controls. The type of body has changed; and the electronics have become more sophisticated – but none of that interests me.

There is a player and an instrument deriving pleasure from their music. Where is the majority of the player pleasure coming from? Is it the instrument or himself?

My thoughts are from the view of a home player. Some of it may apply to the working musician.
I.M.H.O., John C.

I started out with the guitar like you...
Still enjoy my Taylor acustic...
Had many keyboards starting with Technics as well.
Like you, I enjoyed each and everyone, because I made it my own.
With each new generation I enjoy the realism of the voices and sound which inspires me.
But in the end it is the playing that I enjoy most.
Eric

#439662 - 10/23/17 09:50 AM Re: Something to Think About [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA

Satisfaction comes from advancing understanding of structure and working with others to jointly improve the final product.

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online