SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#439385 - 10/19/17 10:47 AM Chony bought a Genos...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
and has posted several informational updates on the PSR-Tutorial site. I hope he does not mind, but I copied the latest to post here:

UPDATE #5 SOUNDS

The new sounds on the Genos are incredible. These are not just new sounds, they are of a different caliber all together.

DRUMS: There are 20 new drums kits!! Finally Yamaha after ten years got the hint... ::) The drum kits are great, but playing them myself I can't really tell the wave-cycling/Round Robin effect, and this is something I'm very used to ... The samples must be very similar to each other.

BASSES: The new electric active basses are on a different level. Comparing the new basses to the old ones isn't even a fair comparison, the old ones sound like a kids toy in comparison. Seriously - the basses are an incredible improvement.

PIANOS: I personally like a darker sound, the CFX is pretty bright. Just my opinion. But the new CFX shimmer and piano mixes sound authentic and cut nicely.

GUITARS: No new acoustic guitars, but a couple of GREAT new electric guitars. My favorite is the 60s TEXAS BLUES which makes it easy to play muted notes without using SA buttons. This was sorely missed on the Tyros 5.

SYNTHS: Coming from the DAW, Montage, and Software synth world, the Genos synths are still not where they should be in 2007, never mind 2017. Very sad ... I thought a good Synth program was the OBVIOUS natural progression from Organ World and Ensemble... I was sure the Genos would be amazing on this ... it is not.

CHOIRS, ACCORDIONS, PERCUSSION : Nothing new

STRINGS: Strings are amazing. So good in fact that Yamaha put almost EVERYTHING else, including the T5 new strings, into Legacy!

WOODWIND, BRASS: All the saxes I bought on for my T4 and T5 now come free with the Genos. Was still worth every penny :-) Not much new that is noteworthy

ENSEMBLE: Much quicker response! You can even do quick trills on the brass which was not possible on the T5 no matter how you programmed them. This is a great improvement for quick lines.
For some reason you can no longer pick or change the individual instruments in an Ensemble, in fact there's no way to even determine what the 4 instruments are!!! shocked

[i][/i]

Edited by travlin'easy (10/19/17 10:48 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439387 - 10/19/17 11:14 AM Re: Chony bought a Genos... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Hmmm ... doesn't seem like a 'blow me away' review for a 'standard bearer' KB of this caliber, does it? ...

#439391 - 10/19/17 12:01 PM Re: Chony bought a Genos... [Re: tony mads usa]
Jaruga71 Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
Since we clear out that Genos have MONO-LEGATO and drum editor....

I am going to bay.. smile

Regards

Edited by Jaruga71 (10/19/17 12:02 PM)

#439452 - 10/20/17 11:51 AM Re: Chony bought a Genos... [Re: travlin'easy]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
How about a Chony demo?!? He uses it out in the real world 🌎 all the time. Tyros4 - Tyros 5 - now Genos. Please encourage Chony to do a real world demo.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#439469 - 10/20/17 03:43 PM Re: Chony bought a Genos... [Re: travlin'easy]
agoldstraw Offline

Another member of the PSR forum put his up for sale less than a couple of days into ownership.

It's a nice keyboard for sure, but I don't hear anything in the demos which blows the PA4X out of the water, by any stretch of the imagination.

#439470 - 10/20/17 03:44 PM Re: Chony bought a Genos... [Re: agoldstraw]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By agoldstraw
Another member of the PSR forum put his up for sale less than a couple of days into ownership.

It's a nice keyboard for sure, but I don't hear anything in the demos which blows the PA4X out of the water, by any stretch of the imagination.

coffee

#439473 - 10/20/17 04:19 PM Re: Chony bought a Genos... [Re: agoldstraw]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA

Where did you see another person return their Genos?
Zalmang on this forum and Monsey on the PSR forum are the same person.
Eric

#439478 - 10/20/17 05:18 PM Re: Chony bought a Genos... [Re: Eric, B]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Eric, B

Where did you see another person return their Genos?
Zalmang on this forum and Monsey on the PSR forum are the same person.
Eric

Ditto he's the only one that I know of.

#439494 - 10/20/17 11:57 PM Re: Chony bought a Genos... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

I think this is the most important conclusion from Chony
Comparing the Genos to the Pa4x

Quote:
The Korg is a much better performance instrument because:
- it is smaller
- it has tons of hardware buttons for practical live performance without the need to navigate the screen
- it has many great performance features that Yamaha doesn't have (Kaoss pad, chord cycle, ability to trigger 2/4 in a 4/4 style. etc)
- it has a more responsive screen
- sounds and style are HIGHLY editable
- you can choose 71 or 76 keys

The Yamaha is a much better studio instrument and has other advantages:
- So many of the sounds are so much better
- It is lighter than the Korg
- Very nice GUI

I think this pretty much says it all

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online