SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#439524 - 10/21/17 09:11 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I really don't understand those on this forum that think $4,500 is a lot of money for a TOTL arranger keyboard. These are the same folks that don't blink to spend $45,000 on a new car, their wives spend $5,000 on an air bed that tilts, shell out $4,000 a year for lawn and garden services, pay $350 a month for condo fees, climb aboard a cruise ship with their spouse for a week and shell out $2,500 for fattening food and a small cabin, plus a booze bill of $1,200, and the list goes on. The cost of a Genos is chump change by comparison, especially for something that can not only provide you years of entertainment, for some of us, it could produce a damned good income for years to come.

Give me a break! smile

Gary cool

Gary, change the "condo" to HOA and dump the "cruise ship" and you just described me to a tee (actually my new Genesis was a tad more than 45k but who's counting smile ). It's not that I think the Genos is too expensive; it's just that I don't have $4500 worth of interest in ANY arranger keyboard, past, present, or future. As far as JUSTIFYING such a purchase, that's not something most MEN do (women, yes; men, no). If they want it and can scrape up the cash, they'll buy it, period. As far as I can observe, the only one's that could justify it from a BUSINESS point of view, would be Chony, DonM, Musicforyourday, and one or two other full-timers, but even in their cases, they could probably do the job with a less costly instrument. The only person that could TRULY justify it, based on project size and ROI, would be Russ; and I don't see him chomping at the bit to get one. Supports my theory that most people buy this type of stuff just because they want it. They may come up with a faux justification to satisfy a spouse or quell some sense of guilt over what they know in their heart is probably a frivious purchase. Anyway, that's just my take on it (which doesn't mean it's true smile ).

chas

#439525 - 10/21/17 09:13 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My cellphone bill is $300. a month, but that's for four of us, and the two boys pay their parts. It's lots of money but we all depend on them for lots of things.
I use mine for texts, internet searches, GPS, golf rangefinder/gps, pretty sophisticated camera (still and video). I listen to books in MP3 format, which I download free from the local library. It's also an internet hub so I can connect my laptop when needed. Many use theirs for music players. I have used it a time or two, when I didn't have the the laptop with me, to look up lyrics/chords for requests. I even use it for PHONE CALLS! smile It is also important in my position as auxiliary deputy sheriff, which I do about once a week. In addition, if I have a problem while on the lake in my bass boat, I can reach somebody for help, or someone can reach me if there is an emergency. And it is tax-deductible, at least the part used for work.
My wife uses hers a LOT for communication, photos, texts and phone calls, both related to her job and personally.
One of my sons is in internet security and often uses his in relation to his job. We all use them to stay in communication with one another. I can pick it up and instantly talk to my other son and grandsons in Oklahoma, and see them when I talk to them! Amazing!
Next to my keyboard, it is my most important piece of gear!
Back to the subject. I wouldn't hesitate to spend a bunch of money on an arranger, and I remember spending about $7,000. for an organ, before arrangers. That was a lot of money then, and I paid dealer cost
for it! And then you needed, Leslie, dolly, big P.A., high-end mixer, and a big van to haul the stuff in.
I'm lucky that I can now have the current arranger best suited for my needs, for about half the price of the Genos. Still if the Genos was twice as good, or maybe even 10 percent better, I would consider it. In my opinion, for me, it is not even as good as what I have. However, as about 99 percent of us, I haven't seen or played one, so I don't KNOW that, but can only make a semi-educated guess. smile I won't even go out of the way to audition one, since I'm not in the market. I'm a happy camper--great cell phone, great arranger, great job, great family, great friends, great life!

#439526 - 10/21/17 09:15 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
I really don't understand those on this forum that think $4,500 is a lot of money for a TOTL arranger keyboard. These are the same folks that don't blink to spend $45,000 on a new car, their wives spend $5,000 on an air bed that tilts, shell out $4,000 a year for lawn and garden services, pay $350 a month for condo fees, climb aboard a cruise ship with their spouse for a week and shell out $2,500 for fattening food and a small cabin, plus a booze bill of $1,200, and the list goes on. The cost of a Genos is chump change by comparison, especially for something that can not only provide you years of entertainment, for some of us, it could produce a damned good income for years to come.

Give me a break! smile

Gary cool

Gary, change the "condo" to HOA and dump the "cruise ship" and you just described me to a tee (actually my new Genesis was a tad more than 45k but who's counting smile ). It's not that I think the Genos is too expensive; it's just that I don't have $4500 worth of interest in ANY arranger keyboard, past, present, or future. As far as JUSTIFYING such a purchase, that's not something most MEN do (women, yes; men, no). If they want it and can scrape up the cash, they'll buy it, period. As far as I can observe, the only one's that could justify it from a BUSINESS point of view, would be Chony, DonM, Musicforyourday, and one or two other full-timers, but even in their cases, they could probably do the job with a less costly instrument. The only person that could TRULY justify it, based on project size and ROI, would be Russ; and I don't see him chomping at the bit to get one. Supports my theory that most people buy this type of stuff just because they want it. They may come up with a faux justification to satisfy a spouse or quell some sense of guilt over what they know in their heart is probably a frivious purchase. Anyway, that's just my take on it (which doesn't mean it's true smile ).

chas

Well said, my friend. And well thought out too!

#439532 - 10/21/17 09:31 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks for the responses, guys. My wife is considering spending $12,000 on upgrading the kitchen, and she really doesn't enjoy cooking - but damned, those cabinets will really look great when someone comes to visit, which is not more than a couple times a year. wink

If I were still working, and were 20 years younger, then I would seriously consider a Genos, but not at this stage of life. I am amazed at the wonderful sounds/voices that I have heard on the demos - very, very realistic, pure, wonderful effects, probably the best in the industry, but again, I will not know unless I hear them in person. Might have to pick up DNJ later in the winter and make a road trip north. NAH! Don't want to tempt the boy! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439533 - 10/21/17 09:36 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Gary,,,,yes +1

#439535 - 10/21/17 09:43 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks for the responses, guys. My wife is considering spending $12,000 on upgrading the kitchen, and she really doesn't enjoy cooking - but damned, those cabinets will really look great when someone comes to visit, which is not more than a couple times a year. wink

If I were still working, and were 20 years younger, then I would seriously consider a Genos, but not at this stage of life. I am amazed at the wonderful sounds/voices that I have heard on the demos - very, very realistic, pure, wonderful effects, probably the best in the industry, but again, I will not know unless I hear them in person. Might have to pick up DNJ later in the winter and make a road trip north. NAH! Don't want to tempt the boy! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

If you make that road trip north to Frank’s be sure to let us know! I’ll meet you there and I’m sure TonyMads will take the ride with me. Just don’t make it January or February when I hope to be in Florida not shoveling snow. smile smile

#439538 - 10/21/17 10:11 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
travlin'easy Offline

I can guarantee you it will NOT be in January or February - too damned cold for this old man in New England. And, I will likely take the Amtrac, which gets me there in just a few hours instead of an all day drive. I hate driving through NYC!

Gary cool

#439539 - 10/21/17 10:34 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

I can guarantee you it will NOT be in January or February - too damned cold for this old man in New England. And, I will likely take the Amtrac, which gets me there in just a few hours instead of an all day drive. I hate driving through NYC!

Gary cool

Amtrak is the way to go take it to New Haven and I’ll give you a lift to Audioworks from there.

#439541 - 10/21/17 11:58 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
travlin'easy Offline

Hope to see you soon. Gotta visit with an orthopedic, surgeon who specializes in back surgeries, in a few weeks, and if he can provide me with some positive results, I just may have to go under the knife for the third time. With luck, I will be able to make the trip in early December, depending on the Dr visit outcome.

Keep in touch,

Gary cool

#439548 - 10/21/17 03:47 PM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Stephenm52 Offline

Gary good luck with the surgeon!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online