Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#439403 - 10/19/17 08:35 PM Re: Genos [Re: Dnj]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By shueymusic
I know... even though I could come up with the money, is it really worth it?!? I do 15-20 solo/duo shows per year. Maybe $2500-$3000 for the year. I make more doing sound gigs... less gigs but more money. I should invest in sound gear. But my creativity in music is calling me! I want something with great sounds that sounds great. Easy sequencer on board and great FX. I'm not asking for much.

Im confused why doesn't your Pa4x give you all you ever need?

Pa4X is wonderful! Does everything I need right now. I've been sequencing on a Motif since 2004. First the ES and then the XF. I enjoy the creation process and like to build my arrangements from the ground up.

When the Montage was introduced, I sold my Motif XF. They dropped the sequencer. That’s when I went PSR-S970... then the major upgrade to the 4X. Then, I've done 1 or 2 arrangements on the Pa4X... it works but it's a different process.

Genos would have to have all of my personal boxes checked off in order to go that direction. A nice 3-4 hour demo on my own and all the questions will be answered!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#439413 - 10/20/17 06:38 AM Re: Genos [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I know... even though I could come up with the money, is it really worth it?!? I do 15-20 solo/duo shows per year. Maybe $2500-$3000 for the year. I make more doing sound gigs... less gigs but more money. I should invest in sound gear. But my creativity in music is calling me! I want something with great sounds that sounds great. Easy sequencer on board and great FX. I'm not asking for much.

Im confused why doesn't your Pa4x give you all you ever need?

Pa4X is wonderful! Does everything I need right now. I've been sequencing on a Motif since 2004. First the ES and then the XF. I enjoy the creation process and like to build my arrangements from the ground up.

When the Montage was introduced, I sold my Motif XF. They dropped the sequencer. That’s when I went PSR-S970... then the major upgrade to the 4X. Then, I've done 1 or 2 arrangements on the Pa4X... it works but it's a different process.

Genos would have to have all of my personal boxes checked off in order to go that direction. A nice 3-4 hour demo on my own and all the questions will be answered!

Why not just sequence in a DAW on your computer so much more powerful and versatile if that is how you create you music...

Edited by Dnj (10/20/17 06:39 AM)

#439415 - 10/20/17 07:12 AM Re: Genos [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Most folks never even use the on board sequencer let alone master it..

Fact is there is no comparison.. The DAW does not allow the same flow.

Sequencing midi is data .. after you record the data you have to assign to sound.. also effects....

When you work with the onboard sequencer.. you are recording and hearing the actual sounds you want.. all edits are being recorded, and your thought process is in tact..

Working on the instrument that will be used for playback is the best solution..

System exclusive is also recorded without surprises...

When we have a good onboard sequencer and know how to use it (few people do), and it becomes second nature... it is the only way to work ...
Sure the DAW is nice overall but it is not better or faster.. maybe easier for someone that never learned to use hardware..

I know I have always had favorite hardware sequencers in the past, and I still do...The one on my keyboard..

Edited by Fran Carango (10/20/17 07:38 AM)

#439419 - 10/20/17 08:07 AM Re: Genos [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think it's a matter of personal preference. One could make a compelling argument for either approach (and both would be equally valid). If someone has a way of doing things that works well for them, who are we to say that OUR way of doing things is better for THEM or that they lack the technical knowledge or expertise to do it 'the correct way'. The fact is; I doubt seriously if ANY professional engineers use a keyboard's on-board sequencer to do any kind of serious recording, but for the kind of amateur recording that most of us do, it may work just fine, especially if you're recording a gig or a rehearsal.

My own personal preference is a computer-based DAW; the other choices being multi-track standalone recorders, and the on-board sequencers found on arranger (and other) keyboards. For me, I like the flexibility of being able to use multiple sound sources (keyboards, modules, VST's, Mics, live drums or percussion instruments, etc.). Then there are the thousands of high quality processing effects unavailable with a single keyboard. With a DAW, the recording possibilities are literally unlimited. The product of an on-board sequencer usually ends up in a computer anyway so why not just 'anchor' it there in the first place. But that's just MY reasons for using a DAW, YMMV. The point is; it's fine to listen to the advice and experiences of others (so long as it's not presented as a MANDATE), but in the end, do what works best for YOU. JMO.

chas

#439420 - 10/20/17 08:19 AM Re: Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

Sequencing midi is data .. after you record the data you have to assign to sound.. also effects....

When you work with the onboard sequencer.. you are recording and hearing the actual sounds you want.. all edits are being recorded, and your thought process is in tact..

When we have a good onboard sequencer and know how to use it (few people do), and it becomes second nature... it is the only way to work ...
Sure the DAW is nice overall but it is not better or faster.. maybe easier for someone that never learned to use hardware..

I know I have always had favorite hardware sequencers in the past, and I still do...The one on my keyboard..

at this point I think my KORG Pa4x will be like Frans Roland G70 regarding having it for life....at some point you have to say enough is enough and just start making great much with what you have to the fullest.....am I right? or?

#439424 - 10/20/17 08:49 AM Re: Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

A daw is a blessing for working on a midi file...
So much tools, to improve the midi
Just domt use the daws sounds, but midi it to your keyboard

To me the sequencers on arrangers are merely play back devices
If happy finetune sounds and effects on the arranger/sequencer

http://keyszone.boards.net

#439429 - 10/20/17 09:41 AM Re: Genos [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

A daw is a blessing for working on a midi file...
So much tools, to improve the midi
Just domt use the daws sounds, but midi it to your keyboard

To me the sequencers on arrangers are merely play back devices
If happy finetune sounds and effects on the arranger/sequencer

Thank you Bachus I knew you would understand what I am talking about...

#439440 - 10/20/17 10:45 AM Re: Genos [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Your posts proves my point..

You need to connect the keyboard to transmit the note on /off and data... to the DAW.. You also have to midi back to play the keyboard sound source...

Not to efficient on the spur of the moment.. Having it in a self contained hardware is way better..
Take your PA4x for examples...You both own one.. Try this in your DAW and compare it to using the onboard sequencer in the Korg..

Record a midi capture of the Korg arrangement (style).. a SMF.. Now modify the insert effect and / or change the effect, now change the tone to a sampled user tone on the Korg.. Strip the excess system exclusive message or add one to the sequence..
Now add lyrics to the SMF... Don't forget to maybe change the bass line at the end of the sequence...add a ride cymbal at the end..

You can do this with just the PA4x ... on stage..

Now do this on your Daw...get back to me in a couple days with the results.... oh that's right you can't do the above in the DAW..

My bet either of you have never used the on board sequencer in detail... or learned how to use it..

Yes the DAW has advantages ... most in audio ... not midi..

#439441 - 10/20/17 10:49 AM Re: Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Your posts proves my point..

You need to connect the keyboard to transmit the note on /off and data... to the DAW.. You also have to midi back to play the keyboard sound source...

Not to efficient on the spur of the moment.. Having it in a self contained hardware is way better..
Take your PA4x for examples...You both own one.. Try this in your DAW and compare it to using the onboard sequencer in the Korg..

Record a midi capture of the Korg arrangement (style).. a SMF.. Now modify the insert effect and / or change the effect, now change the tone to a sampled user tone on the Korg.. Strip the excess system exclusive message or add one to the sequence..
Now add lyrics to the SMF... Don't forget to maybe change the bass line at the end of the sequence...add a ride cymbal at the end..

You can do this with just the PA4x ... on stage..

Now do this on your Daw...get back to me in a couple days with the results.... oh that's right you can't do the above in the DAW..

My bet either of you have never used the on board sequencer in detail... or learned how to use it..

Yes the DAW has advantages ... most in audio ... not midi..

Try midi edditing using a piano roll tool
Or try adding some automation to a track..

Every step of edditing you do to the midi goes so much faster on the daw that the actuall up and dowload takes near to no time compared to the time you won with the efficient edditing

http://keyszone.boards.net

#439446 - 10/20/17 11:17 AM Re: Genos [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj

at this point I think my KORG Pa4x will be like Frans Roland G70 regarding having it for life ....am I right? or?

Well, I hear ya, but It's hard to believe you after crying "WOLF" so many, many times. My friendly advice - Lay low, keep using the 4x, and stop swearing that it's the best thing since sliced audio waves. I love ya bud, but your credibility regarding longevity, and loyalty is a bit skewed. Stay on the down-low for a bit.
Hearing you sing the "I love my 4X FOREVAH" tune just isn't believable. Pace yourself. Run the long race. Show us your longevity in practice, instead of theory.
Remember - I LOVE YA! (but, you make me crazy, sometimes)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online