SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#439325 - 10/18/17 09:25 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: zalmang]
Bachus Offline

The screen size makes a difference...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#439328 - 10/18/17 09:39 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: Bachus]
zalmang Offline

Loc: Monsey, NY
Originally Posted By Bachus
The screen size makes a difference...

So true! It's like a small computer screen and helps get around immensely. I still don't know why anyone approved placing the RH 1 RH2 sound buttons ALL THE WAY over on the right side. While playing, keeping hands on and close to the key-field is vital and this just takes the hands away from playing. Should have been placed where the One Touch Setting buttons are now, or at least push that up and put it right under it (plenty of room!)

#439329 - 10/18/17 09:44 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: zalmang]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
First and foremost, I would like to complement zalmang for posting his observations about the Genos here on the forum. It's always nice to read someone's first, hands-on experiences and impressions about ANY arranger keyboard and I for one value them a lot over speculative comments, posts and threads.

Now, about the large, plastic buttons. For many years, arranger keyboard owners and players of ALL brands, have asked for larger, positive lock, lighted buttons that were not made of rubber on the TOTL arrangers - again, Yamaha answered and responded favorably along those lines.

The same goes for the touch screen, and from my observations, at least from what I can see on the videos posted, the response time is about the same as any touch screen system - not slower or with any greater delay. I could be wrong, but that's just from from a video observation - not hands on. I've worked with lots of touch screen devices, smart phones, marine electronics, etc..., and they all have some detectable lag time, though it has never been significant to me, maybe because I don't need fast stuff at my age.

Finally, zalmang's post was after just a single day of hands on with his new Genos - which for me would be difficult to evaluate that quickly. Every piece of electronic gear I've ever owned, marine, smart phone, PC, arranger keyboard, PA system, vocal processor, mixer, you name it, took some time to get it to function the way I felt was best for ME. Despite more than a half century of working with electronic gear, I could not possibly have evaluated any of it in a single day with any degree of certainty. I think the biggest problem I ever had along these lines was I always wanted my new keyboard to sound and function just like the one I was replacing, only I wanted it to sound better without doing anything to it - that never happened.

Again, a big thanks to zalmang for posting his comments and hands on experiences, but I will have to reserve my judgement until I either drive for 8 hours up to Frankie Vee's, or see many more hands on evaluations by others, particularly live entertainers who utilize every aspect of the keyboard in their daily lives making a living onstage.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439333 - 10/18/17 10:13 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: zalmang]
Dnj Offline

Gary are you interested in getting a Genos now that would be great to hear you playing one even just at home???

Edited by Dnj (10/18/17 10:14 AM)

#439334 - 10/18/17 10:16 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
zalmang Offline

Loc: Monsey, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

...Finally, zalmang's post was after just a single day of hands on with his new Genos - which for me would be difficult to evaluate that quickly....

...I will have to reserve my judgement until I either drive for 8 hours up to Frankie Vee's, or see many more hands on evaluations by others, particularly live entertainers who utilize every aspect of the keyboard in their daily lives making a living onstage.

Gary,

Spot on!! Happy to share my findings and I hope everyone understand to make their own decision based on hands-on experience.

Although as I mentioned in post #91 on PRS tutorial (http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40470.50.html) some lousy surface controls choices were made and I'm surprised no one raised them internally.

#439335 - 10/18/17 10:17 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: zalmang]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zalmang
For ME this is not a revolutionary keyboard and I will probably be selling it shortly and keeping my pa4x.

I knew that first time I heard it demoed...
I closed my eyes and heard TYROS 4,5,...
but there will be space for it somewhere Im sure for many people..
thanx for your reviews..

#439336 - 10/18/17 10:18 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: zalmang]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
People inside Yamaha thought it wasn't really ready yet. I'm sure they are working on the software to fix the bugs. OS updates after a major release isn't unusual.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#439337 - 10/18/17 10:19 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic
People inside Yamaha thought it wasn't really ready yet. I'm sure they are working on the software to fix the bugs. OS updates after a major release isn't unusual.

software change is one thing....design cannot be changed..

#439338 - 10/18/17 10:29 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: zalmang]
broker22 Offline

It should have a protective film over the screen my Tyros 5 still has it on. Cal

#439340 - 10/18/17 10:52 AM Re: GENOS in the HOUSE!! Pics and first impressions... [Re: zalmang]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Not for me, yet, Donny - I still have a sailboat to contend with unless some old fart comes along and wants a great deal on a boat big enough to live on and cross oceans. If and when the boat is sold, I might consider a Genos, but for the little playing I do now that I have retired, I guess I'll stick with my trusty S-950 - it still does a fantastic job for me.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online