SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#439132 - 10/15/17 11:17 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The only fights would come from the undisciplined who have no business in a band. Thank you UD.

#439140 - 10/15/17 01:54 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, I agree with everything you stated. I have played with several bands, and none could keep time worth a damned. The only person I ever encountered that kept perfect time with a US Navy Band drummer - he was like a metronome - yes, he was that good, and a pure joy to play with. When not playing for the US Navy Band, he was the drummer for the Zim Zemeral Band/Orchestra and sometimes filled in at the Baltimore Symphony. Unfortunately, nearly everyone that was in Zim's band, including zim and his lovely wife, have recently passed away.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439158 - 10/15/17 09:22 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
As btweengigs said...." A few years ago I was recruited to play in a 7 piece, 60s-80's rock band for 6 months. The band consisted of lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, drums, two non-playing vocalists and me playing an arranger. My role was to be any other instrument they needed. Strings, horns, piano, organ, etc. Never played a style or rhythm. It was fun for the better part of the 6 months, but was glad to get back to being a single. In short re: Chas's question....the arranger was perfect for the job. Nothing else required."
Eddie

I think like this...... as a musician, you use your instrument to it's limits ( for me) , and sometimes just bare bones. With an arranger just like a syth, know what it can and can't do and go from there. There is one limitation on an arranger, I would like to see is more DAW's being able to be accessed by arrangers directly; like a synth can. This is not needed on the keyboard per se, but on the software side. I think only then will so called "Pros" acknowledge the arranger as a worthy contender for the marketplace/stage etc.

The preconceived idea that the TOTL arranger is still a toy out there, is a burden we all carry ( or not); but it's their problem not ours.
I can play ( without auto accomp.) any style from classical to jazz to reggae to pop to gospel etc. just using the piano like most of you, I am guessing. But unfortunately, people say no 88 keys or it's not a real synth etc etc BS. Closed/ narrow minded people that still label it in the 30 years ago box.

Allan taz

Edited by tassiespirit (10/15/17 09:22 PM)

#439168 - 10/16/17 01:49 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Stilli Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
...The days of "follow the drummer" are over. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE needs to know how to keep time. ...... The drummer has a wedge aimed at his ear - it's his job to stay with the sequence, not the other way around. It's follow the leader ... and sometimes, the leader is a machine......

+1

#439178 - 10/16/17 06:54 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: Stilli]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
...The days of "follow the drummer" are over. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE needs to know how to keep time. ...... The drummer has a wedge aimed at his ear - it's his job to stay with the sequence, not the other way around. It's follow the leader ... and sometimes, the leader is a machine......

Well, you might try convincing some drummers of that...
Some are a little stubborn...
Only a little...

But i agree, every drummer should have a click track in his left ear...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#439203 - 10/16/17 10:16 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: Bachus]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I moved my office recently, after 28 years in the same place. I set aside samples of a project I was going to share, and now, I have misplaced it. It will surface soon.

What it is is a film score....14 min, I think. There are three version. 1. is a rough done on an old Clavinova, showing the shell pattern, using all automatic features. Sounds pretty rough, but it is what it is.

2. is same changes, but a different style to test flexibility for other versions down he road.

3. is no arranger at all. It is done to the fully edited screen images.

I'll find these and post them soon. The arranger is invaluable when I do a rough to start a project.

Russ

#439225 - 10/16/17 01:07 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Looking forward to seeing and hearing them, Russ.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439262 - 10/17/17 11:07 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
My drummers have always sped up, or lost rhythm , even with a monitor I put there for them, Including a longtime Sony studios musician. They are not machines. I wish it worked better. Last gig I did as a duo the drummer said i could have done the gig myself, which was true but the client requested live drums..

#439268 - 10/17/17 01:58 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: sparky589]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By sparky589
My drummers have always sped up, or lost rhythm , even with a monitor I put there for them, Including a longtime Sony studios musician. They are not machines. I wish it worked better.

They are not very good musicians, either if they can't follow. Listening is more important than any other aspect when you're in an ensemble, no matter how small. If a drummer can't follow the "band" ... there's always Domino's delivery options.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online