SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#439169 - 10/16/17 03:33 AM Re: Moving from stereo QSCs to Line Array [Re: DonM]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Yes, get two LD Systems Maui 5s, for about the price of one Bose Compact. They are better, more versatile, deeper bass and totally reliable!

Wow, been out of the loop for buying p.a.'s lol. I have too many anyway. Nice to see there is another alternative to Bose. Competition is good!

#439175 - 10/16/17 06:35 AM Re: Moving from stereo QSCs to Line Array [Re: zuki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Although I've never had the chance to hear the LD systems I did get to do a good tryout of the JBL EON One and came away totally impressed. Big full range sound and much louder than the system size would indicate. Best part is the easy setup / packup and moving of the system. One 40 lb piece with a balanced handle on the top.
I wish I was working more and had an excuse to buy a pair. Price is good at around $700 down from MSRP of $999.

#439179 - 10/16/17 06:57 AM Re: Moving from stereo QSCs to Line Array [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By SemiLiveMusic
Originally Posted By DonM
Yes, get two LD Systems Maui 5s, for about the price of one Bose Compact. They are better, more versatile, deeper bass and totally reliable!

Wow, been out of the loop for buying p.a.'s lol. I have too many anyway. Nice to see there is another alternative to Bose. Competition is good!

There are actually several alternatives now. All seem to be derived from the Bose design but most make improvements and cost way less.

#439183 - 10/16/17 07:41 AM Re: Moving from stereo QSCs to Line Array [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By zuki
no one answered my question. does anyone use the on board keyboard speakers and just a mono system behind them. that's what i'd like to hear

Almost ALWAYS. The kb speakers are my stereo monitor, and the Bose fills the rest of the room with even sound. For a really small venue, I take the tweeter out of the Bose, and just use the sub to add some "oooomph". The speakers in the 900 are pretty powerful, and the 1000 is touted as even better. we shall see.

** Sidenote:
Beware of using two line array speakers. Placement is critical to avoid dropouts, and cancellation. There are times when I tried 2 Bose towers, and wound up shutting one off, because it sounded better. They spread so wide that you get frequency cancellation in certain rooms. Listen carefully.

#439204 - 10/16/17 10:19 AM Re: Moving from stereo QSCs to Line Array [Re: zuki]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jim, I use a Solton M-60 into a Carvin mono system. Been doing it that way at least 10 nights a month for 30 years.

R.

#439209 - 10/16/17 11:03 AM Re: Moving from stereo QSCs to Line Array [Re: captain Russ]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Here’s what I use...very impressed...

https://www.jbl.com/jbl_pro/JBL+EON+ONE.html

#439212 - 10/16/17 11:48 AM Re: Moving from stereo QSCs to Line Array [Re: Uncle Dave]
Stilli Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
** Sidenote:
Beware of using two line array speakers. Placement is critical to avoid dropouts, and cancellation. There are times when I tried 2 Bose towers, and wound up shutting one off, because it sounded better. They spread so wide that you get frequency cancellation in certain rooms. Listen carefully.

Hi Dave,

This doesn't apply if you run the rig in stereo only in mono. If you run 2 L1's in mono and both from the same sound source, Bose recommend that they need to be 20 feet apart to avoid cancellation although I have used them a lot closer with no apparent loss. I very rarely use more than one Bose L1m2 even for quite large venues and it fills the room better than most 2 stack conventional systems. When I start using the keyboard at gigs I may try the stereo option but for most of my venues the majority of the audience will not get any benefit from it, I don't do many 'sit down in the middle and listen' gigs :-)

#439217 - 10/16/17 12:18 PM Re: Moving from stereo QSCs to Line Array [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Every room is different, but what I said about placement - It ONLY applies in stereo. In mono, there is no reason to use two. I haven't been in a situation that afforded me a 20 foot span in a looooong time. That was part of the draw to the L1 in the first place. I still believe that in most applications, 2 is detrimental to the coverage. This of course, is affected by exact placement, angle, volume, room acoustics etc. There's no one right way, but in almost every case I've encountered - the Bose is better in mono.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online