SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#439105 - 10/15/17 07:25 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
smile smile smile I guess as long as there are forums, people will answer the question they hear in their minds.....as opposed to the one that is posted. Once again; IF YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF THE TYPICAL ARRANGER KB PLAYER, WHAT FEATURES WOULD YOU LIKE SEE IN THE NEXT INSTRUMENT YOU PURCHASE?

chas

#439107 - 10/15/17 07:33 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By zuki
Who is the typical band player - a guy that can't keep a beat, doesn't show up on time, pukes on stage, hits on your woman.
Had enough of that, glad to be a typical arranger player.

I've said it before, but the band we had in NY for 26 years was the exact opposite of that ... 5 very good friends who played some great music ... if only I could go back to that ... but I know I can't, so I will continue on with my Pa900, being typical or not ... keys

#439108 - 10/15/17 07:33 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Edited by zuki (10/15/17 08:59 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#439109 - 10/15/17 07:38 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: tony mads usa]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By zuki
Who is the typical band player - a guy that can't keep a beat, doesn't show up on time, pukes on stage, hits on your woman.
Had enough of that, glad to be a typical arranger player.

I've said it before, but the band we had in NY for 26 years was the exact opposite of that ... 5 very good friends who played some great music ... if only I could go back to that ... but I know I can't, so I will continue on with my Pa900, being typical or not ... keys

Edited by zuki (10/15/17 09:00 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#439110 - 10/15/17 07:55 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bernie9
I have tried many times to get my band to follow my beat on an arranger, but they can't follow it or can't hear it. I simplified the beat and even bought earbuds and a headphone amp for a tick tract, but no dice. It is a shame because we need a decent drummer and bass player, and I provide much more. They are content having me play lead and they do things the way they always have.

I normally play other players while using some form of auto accompaniment and luckily have never had problems with musicians not being able to lock in. I normally play with a percussionist, sax/flute, singer and, guitar. I've also worked with trombone, trumpet, violin, vibes, drum set and bass players. I wish I could provide them with in ear monitors but like I said it really has never been a problem for them to lock in. I'm blessed to know many very good musicians that have always practiced with metronomes, and have experience on stage playing with some sort of sequence. In a perfect world all the musicians I work with including myself would rather just play completely live but budgets are so tight and clients needs are so different,. The arranger keyboard gives me the flexibility play solo , duo or full band with so many types of configurations, it's a great tool!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#439111 - 10/15/17 08:12 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
A few years ago I was recruited to play in a 7 piece, 60s-80's rock band for 6 months. The band consisted of lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, drums, two non-playing vocalists and me playing an arranger. My role was to be any other instrument they needed. Strings, horns, piano, organ, etc. Never played a style or rhythm. It was fun for the better part of the 6 months, but was glad to get back to being a single. In short re: Chas's question....the arranger was perfect for the job. Nothing else required.
Eddie

#439113 - 10/15/17 08:34 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I occasionally use a guitar player, a harmonica player and/or a sax player to join me for special things. I've never had a problem with any of them following the arranger. BUT, they are true pros, as good as just about anybody anywhere, and that makes a difference!
If you can't stay with a beat, what would you do in a recording studio? You'd get booted in about two minutes!

#439118 - 10/15/17 09:36 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Typical arranger player?

For me, it’s easier to see who’s not interested.

(1). High School students that I sub teach for. More interested in piano/synths. They like to play in bands. One student did buy a DGX 650. But he mostly plays piano.

(2). High school Music teachers including my brother. I’ve tried to get the local high school vocal teacher to allow me to do a demo....no interest.

(3). The assisted living activity directors I know....who play piano. “Too many buttons I’m told”

(4). My cousin and another friend(keyboard players)who entertain. They would rather bring a drum machine.

(5). Old rock and roll players I know from my generation. They like to play in groups and are fans of portable Hammond organs.

The biggest negatives I hear about arrangers from musically inclined keyboard players.

A. No hammered action...not 88 keys.

B. Too many buttons.

C. Playing along with an arranger player means that the band has to follow the arranger player.

Fully agree with A from a piano players view.
Fully disagree with B, give me an hour and i have them playing and they never forget how logical the outlay is.

C soon belons to the pass, the Montage has something called an envelope follower. Which allows your areanger tempo to follow a drummer, if thats wise? I domt know, but its quite well possible.. but if the drummer fracks up, the whole band might be in utter chaos.

Its not just arrangers requiring a steady beat... also synths with arps can be boumd to time signature

http://keyszone.boards.net

#439127 - 10/15/17 10:25 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: DonM]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Originally Posted By DonM
I really haven't found an arranger, other than perhaps Ketron, that is set at the factory to sound really good when you turn it on. I wonder why that is? ....

Have to agree with Don … I have tried many of the brands touted here (except the newer arrangers Genos, Pa4X, Pa1000) and sound-wise and for ease of use, its Ketron hands down. I use the Midjay Plus - have several of them - and find it very versatile as I sometimes use it with a keyboard, midi accordion, or keytar, whatever the gig calls for. From time to time, I use the plus for DJ gigs. As long as AJ is around to support them, and because they are so simple to use and transport, the Plus is sufficient for me.
Ciao,
Jerry

#439131 - 10/15/17 11:01 AM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Bernie9
I have tried many times to get my band to follow my beat on an arranger, but they can't follow it or can't hear it.

Two points I've been hammering forever - GOOD MONITORS, and able to follow. The days of "follow the drummer" are over. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE needs to know how to keep time. Right from the start of the machines, I said that every drummer needs to own one. A musician needs to LISTEN, and FOLLOW. Studio cats have to follow a click track, why can't a live drummer, or band? Adrenaline? Alcohol? Ego? Whatever the reason - it's got to stop. Simple, right? Maybe not so, but I think both points are paramount to a groove worth listening to. I sometimes play in a 10 piece band that has a full rhythm section, a full horn section, a live drummer, and we are heavily sequenced. It enhances the overall sound exponentially. The drummer has a wedge aimed at his ear - it's his job to stay with the sequence, not the other way around. It's follow the leader ... and sometimes, the leader is a machine.
My take on things - this is not intended to start any fights.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online