SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#439073 - 10/14/17 02:07 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
That is tough because it incorporates many factors, some subjective, some not. For example, my Roland BK-9 had all the potential to be a great sounding keyboard, in spite of it's two small windows that had a purpose. The trouble was that the factory released it without balancing the thing. That, of coarse, is the factory's fault. Then you have Yamaha that almost never sends anything out unless it's right, but I think their drums are whimpy. That's subjective, as home players don't think so. The Ketrons, e.g., have arguably the most realistic. live sound. but has been known to have a few other flaws in the beginning. My Pa4x is the closest I have seen yet, but even they had to send out some updates to fix a few minor items, but made up for it by a major upgrade.

#439074 - 10/14/17 02:44 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm talking more about the e.q. setup. Hardly any of them sound good without adjusting a bunch of things. Maybe it's my aging ears! smile

#439075 - 10/14/17 04:09 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Geeze, Chas, you are the second person today that told me my opinion don't count - Carol said the same thing this morning just before I left to go to the boat. She said the boat don't count either. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439077 - 10/14/17 05:19 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
RC Offline

Loc: Pa Usa
I am really surprised that no one mentioned the sequencer. I am not a pro player, mostly play for my own enjoyment. Occasionally I will play out for some party or a get together but they are really far and few between. I want a arranger with a good sequencer. I play songs for me in my age era. These would be songs from the late fifties and early sixties. The doo wop era. Back in the time they introduced symphony strings and back up singers in. I like to have the songs I play as close to the originals as I can get them. I sequence the strings, horns etc coming in the song at different times. I am not a singer so I play the lead and let the strings and etc come in. The only problem is you have to know where you are at at all times. As you can see my era means I am 75 years old but I do love the arrangers.
RC

#439079 - 10/14/17 06:12 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: RC]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Who is the typical arranger player?

What an odd question. What are the criteria for judging the player? What they do with styles? What they do with sounds? Do they play only at home? Do they get paid to play?

I believe there are many good arranger players who use every part of their keyboards and get paid well for their efforts. Then as the years pass by they end up as home players who want nothing more but to set and play music. The need to change and add is no longer necessary. The complicity of the arranger has grown. There were times when I found myself spending more time learning and adjusting than playing music.
In the days when I played out I had my bass go to a bass amp; my drums sent to a different channel in the mixer – and I turn my keyboard into a piano to meet the need. There was no part of the keyboard that I did not know and use. As the seasons changed so did I.
So the question, “Who is the typical arranger player”, is really saying what????

No offence too anyone, but there really is no typical arranger player on Synthzone. That question must be followed with a criterion for judging.

John C.
PS, And let’s not forget some of fantastic players and technicians that are no longer here – were they typical or outstanding.

#439082 - 10/14/17 06:57 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: bruno123]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
Who is the typical arranger player?

What an odd question. What are the criteria for judging the player? What they do with styles? What they do with sounds? Do they play only at home? Do they get paid to play?

I believe there are many good arranger players who use every part of their keyboards and get paid well for their efforts. Then as the years pass by they end up as home players who want nothing more but to set and play music. The need to change and add is no longer necessary. The complicity of the arranger has grown. There were times when I found myself spending more time learning and adjusting than playing music.
In the days when I played out I had my bass go to a bass amp; my drums sent to a different channel in the mixer – and I turn my keyboard into a piano to meet the need. There was no part of the keyboard that I did not know and use. As the seasons changed so did I.
So the question, “Who is the typical arranger player”, is really saying what????

No offence too anyone, but there really is no typical arranger player on Synthzone. That question must be followed with a criterion for judging.

John C.
PS, And let’s not forget some of fantastic players and technicians that are no longer here – were they typical or outstanding.

Well said John wink
Eric

#439084 - 10/14/17 08:18 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Don’t know if I’m “typical” or not. Don’t really think about it. I must be a semi-pro, a retired educator, who plays for fun and whatever the gig pays----to be turned around for new gear, such as the latest arranger. Like others, my use of styles and voices is limited and narrow because of the type material I play. However, I prefer the wide range of voices and styles in top-end arrangers to assist with home recording. I often record backing tracks for local singers, personalized just the way they want it. These arrangers are well-suited for that purpose, especially with strings and other overdubs that can put the polish to a track.

#439085 - 10/14/17 08:24 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Chas:

In this heady atmosphere (mostly folks who make their living performing in front of paying audiences (or paying patrons) using Arranger Keyboards, I am certainly not extruded from that mold... or more technically, that extrusion die. My "performances" are limited to the safety of my small studio where I write songs, arrange the instruments to accompany my less than professional vocal, adjust the various volumes, decide whether the song should have simple or sublime accompaniment... all after coming up with an idea for a song, reeling off a lyric and anguishing about which key I should attempt to sing in.

The arranger (no matter which brand) is a Godsend to Songwriters and probably the best kept secret in the music biz. Most big box stores that sell keyboards don't possess educated and informed staff who understand exactly what an arranger can do. It is a complete orchestra with accompanying choir (if desired) or can be a simple, intimate little venue with one or two instruments (such as acoustic guitars) possibly a bass and even a drummer if needed.

I use Yamaha's PSR-S910 because is has a Tyros Engine, cost significantly less (especially used) and allows me to get the gist of what I am trying to do with a song across. I can vary the individual volumes of each instrument, choir or multi-pad.

My use of Yamaha has evolved to primarily a simpler learning curve when attempting to upgrade to a new Yamaha Model. (I want a 970 so bad I can taste it... but until a replacement model arrives, I can't afford a new one.)

The rest of you are mostly real talented performers and vocalists and I am only attempting to make a decent demo of my song idea so that Artists, Producers and Publishers might want to "cover" my work... thus plugging me into the income stream.

Those of you who use other "boards" so effectively have my complete admiration. For me, this late in my fifth career, it is a matter of expediency to stick with Yamaha.

Realizing that I am probably at the bottom of the Arranger User Pyramid is perfectly okay with me. It suits my purposes and saves me an awful lot of money for not having to pay studios to do my demos. Money is very tight and competition is very keen in the songwriting business.

Regards, ----Dave Rice

http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice?

#439086 - 10/14/17 11:19 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I play at home for myself as a hobby. I guess if arrangers did not exist, i would not have taken an interest in playing the keyboard. I think todays arrangers sound just as good as a non arranger keyboard...but its just amazing how many things todays arrangers can do for home players that those professional non arranger players will never have

#439087 - 10/14/17 11:38 PM Re: Who IS the typical Arranger player....... [Re: cgiles]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I also think your arranger keyboard player does infact adjust eq on sounds but just the basic stuff, and maybe replace a drum kit or sound on a style. I was always told a yamaha is a good easy to understand keyboard for playing at home and a korg is very difficult to understand and maybe suited for stage only. After owning yamaha for years.. tyros, s900,s910..i heard a korg pa600 one day and could not believe how much better it sounded. And i actually found it easier to use and able to sound far better than i ever did with the yamahas... my lesson here was dont believe everything u read...I will never ever buy another yamaha product again. Ive since sold the pa600. Now i await either the pa700 or pa1000. Cant decide still.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online