SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#438787 - 10/09/17 10:18 AM SSD in Genos
Tyrosman5 Offline

Does anyone know if the Genos has a SSD installed? Not clear in operators manual. Since I have the Genos on order, I certainly
would appreciate if someone could tell me. Lloyd

#438789 - 10/09/17 10:28 AM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
the Drive is for loading new packs and sounds for future

simular to one you would buy external like for T4 T5

like new content bosendorff piano ect

#438790 - 10/09/17 10:43 AM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: musicforyourday]
Tyrosman5 Offline

I mean a drive to store in like a HD. Your talking about a Expansion
module. Lloyd

#438792 - 10/09/17 11:13 AM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
musicforyourday Offline

I do not see hard drive I use external usb drives for everything

thumb drive 8 gb works great for styles / Midi files ect

#438793 - 10/09/17 11:53 AM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Tyrosman5
I mean a drive to store in like a HD. Your talking about a Expansion
module. Lloyd

There is 58 GB to store things.. we domt know yet wether its flash or an ssd or just a build in sd card..

With the nature of the data, a usb stick is fast enough, you can have 3 usb sticks connected at the same time

http://keyszone.boards.net

#438795 - 10/09/17 11:59 AM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
broker22 Offline

They said it was an SSD and not HD. cAL

#438798 - 10/09/17 12:25 PM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: broker22]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By broker22
They said it was an SSD and not HD. cAL

I understood the same thing. I read also that it's possible that the USB port underneath the keyboard itself is meant as a storage device like a hard drive would. I don't know that to be a fact but there was some chatter about it.

#438803 - 10/09/17 12:47 PM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
Tyrosman5 Offline

Too bad Yamaha in not more specific about it. Lloyd

#438807 - 10/09/17 01:39 PM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My son, the computer guru (he does this stuff for a living), tells me that in the not too distant future, hard drives will be non-existent because of their mechanical failings. They will be completely replaced by solid state storage devices that in many ways resemble USB thumb drives, but have a massive storage capacity and incredible reliability. I, personally, have experienced at least a half dozen hard drive crashes in the past decade and I know that many of the forum members have as well. I anticipate that most arranger keyboard manufacturers will eventually do away with the HDs as well.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#438810 - 10/09/17 02:33 PM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Hard drives are External usb flash slots 3 avail.

#438811 - 10/09/17 02:45 PM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Someone told me that USB drives are basically batteries, and have a shelf life of maybe, 10 years. Same with SSD? This source is a professional photographer, and he says that's why recordable CDs and DVDs are better for important storage. Just passing on what I heard.

#438815 - 10/09/17 03:14 PM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I know things have changed when it comes to storage, but back in the late 90s I worked for EMC the company that manufactured Coca Cola sized machine hard drive storage units. These large devices were mostly used by banks, stock exchanges and other large businesses that need umpteen terabytes of hard drive storage space. Part of my job with a team while building the units involved testing the hard drives some of the devices held 270 separate hard drives. We’d test them in heated chambers of 110 degrees F, in refrigerated chambers at 40 degrees and also at room temperature. On any given day many hard drives would fail, but that was the point to fail any weak links. Management wanted to be sure once the product was delivered that any further failure rate would be very low.

I haven’t the vaguest idea what they are installing in the units today but I’m sure they must be SSDs.

#438822 - 10/10/17 02:47 AM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: travlin'easy]
TheWolf Offline

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
tells me that in the not too distant future, hard drives will be non-existent because of their mechanical failings. They will be completely replaced by solid state storage devices that in many ways resemble USB thumb drives

The time is here already. There are next gen SSD "drives" already selling, as this M.2 SSD pictured here. They are blazing fast, like reading directly from RAM memory. You can already get them up to 2TB in size. Also newest high performance laptops are fitted with M.2. So yes, spinning disks are close to extinction. I have none on any of my PCs anymore.

#438824 - 10/10/17 04:38 AM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The lifetime of solid state storage revolves around the rate of degradation of the storage structure and that depends on usage; there is a limit to how many times you can turn a bit on or off. This number is increasing all the time and for normal users and computers is sufficiently large as to be ignored.

"Enterprise" standard solid state discs now routinely have 5 year warranty and they get hit at a far higher rate that anything we will throw at them.

You are still going to get failures, **** happens, but I am not aware that modern SSDs are any more prone to failure than mechanical hard discs.

I'd advise your photographer friend that use of CDs or DVDs for long term storage is not any more secure, they degrade over time even when sat on a shelf. This can be mitigate by controlling temperate and humidity - bit I'd feel just as happy with a decent brand USB or SSD device.

#438837 - 10/10/17 08:41 AM Re: SSD in Genos [Re: Tyrosman5]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Member pjd posted a link at PSR Tutorial Forum with some more Genos info.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-news-from-germany/

Quote from info regarding "HD / SSD":

"Internal file storage

Genos has no internal hard drive and no SSD drive. Hard drives are vulnerable to fairure due to their mechanics. The moving parts in a hard drive also affect the lifetime of a hard drive. There is a solid-state user memory (= Flash ROM) with 58 GB of memory.

[People are having a hard time getting their minds around this one. Wot? No hard drive, no SSD? What is it? Yamaha have cleverly used the flash memory attached to one of the tone generators as explained in my post. Yes, it’s flash, but it will be a heck of lot faster than USB flash. Trust me.]"
End quote.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online