SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#438727 - 10/08/17 09:46 AM Be gentle ... it's my first time
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
... in TWO WEEKS, that is.

Here's my first vocal rendering since my surgery on Sept 25th. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome - I'm maybe at 90% ... some notes still feel like they're coming from someone else's body, and there's a "cloudiness" to my ears. I sure hope that clears up.
(Threw in the TC at the very end ... just because)
Wish I had enunciated "tomorrow" a little better. frown

Attachments
Who can I turn 2.MP3 (152 downloads)
Description: Jazz piano patch on the PA900 - no rhythm, no pads. Reverb and Delay on the vox - 2 upper harmonies at the end.

Edited by Uncle Dave (10/08/17 10:22 AM)

#438728 - 10/08/17 10:00 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, everyone knows you can sing and play the piano so I'm just going to critique a different aspect. The recording was first rate, in fact it was so good I could detect what sounded to me like just a 'hint' of (hard to describe - a sort of 'metallic' tinge on the very end of the processed (harmonizer) vocal. This could probably be eliminated just by turning down the treble (filter) on the harmonizer. Otherwise, sounds great.

chas

#438729 - 10/08/17 10:06 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
You are a pro , great job I enjoyed it. It's been a few years since I heard you sing "A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square" you sound like a different singer than I remember but as I say that was some years back.

#438731 - 10/08/17 10:18 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Great performance as usual,...no need for any critique who are we to judge? the KORG Pa900 sounds amazing too,....just get well let your vocal chords rest & recover dont push after the procedure it takes time to heal and then your back on stage making people happy with your music ......
Super Song....love it!!

clap clap

Edited by Dnj (10/08/17 11:02 AM)

#438732 - 10/08/17 10:22 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Hey - thanks for the positive comments, guys!

#438733 - 10/08/17 10:27 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
turning down the treble (filter) on the harmonizer. Otherwise, sounds great.

chas

Chas, that was the onboard recorder in the PA900, and I probably have the treble set more for the room than a recording. Good point, though ... TC give you the option of processing the harmonies with the same "TONE" circuit as the lead, so, maybe at three times the strength, it comes off as too much. Good advice, thanks.

#438734 - 10/08/17 10:28 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Soooooo ... I changed my spelling "ooops" of GENTILE to GENTLE, in the title, but it still shows up in the replies. Weird, or typical?

#438735 - 10/08/17 10:34 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, your vocals have changed quite a bit since I last heard you. Your voice is much softer now, the quality has always been good, but it seems a bit better now, while you still retained much of the power you had in the past.

Great job,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#438736 - 10/08/17 10:51 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dave the word pro comes to mind. I listened right through to the end – great job from voice to keyboard.

I’ve heard it said that as you grow older your voice loses the strength and projection’ you are no way near that.

The song you selected is a singer’s song – you did it justice.
John C.

#438739 - 10/08/17 11:21 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I would never pass up a chance to hear you sing Dave. It's awesome..what can I say? smile
Chas must have better high end hearing left that I do, and that's entirely possible, but I don't hear that in the harmonizer sound. I wouldn't touch a knob!

#438742 - 10/08/17 11:54 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

... and THIS is why I love this place. Thanks!
With regard to the power issue - I never shout, never growl, don't watch hockey, or scream at my kids ... always use good monitors (IN MY FACE), and try to warm up the pipes before I sing. That last one is tough because I rarely STOP singing. lol
My warmup is all day long. I think I may have lost a pitch, or two at the top of my range, but the power is usually there when I need it. I attribute my best singing lessons to my clarinet lessons. Breathing and support is what it's all about. Learning a wind instrument can teach you that better than most vocal coaches. My theater experience taught me to sing to the back row of the room, so projection has always been important to me. Pays off, too.

So, thanks for the feedback - I'm getting ready to hit the road for my big "comeback" night. Wish me luck!
(fingers crossed)

#438743 - 10/08/17 12:05 PM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

As a matter of fact, what little singing technique I have is most likely carry over from breath control when playing trumpet. I was really good at that, in another life and time. I'm not in your league Dave, and I always learn from listening to you, when you sing and when you "speak".

#438750 - 10/08/17 03:26 PM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: DonM]

Dave when I used my guitar or the Korg MicroArranger I put my mic into the Touch Voice Live – then into the voice channel of my Bose. My instrument went into the second channel of the Bose.

For some reason I was getting a much better sound than using the Pa900 for my mic. It seem fuller – but more wires and stuff to carry.

John C.

#438758 - 10/08/17 08:57 PM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: bruno123]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
👍👍👍

#438771 - 10/09/17 06:55 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: bruno123]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Dave when I used my guitar or the Korg MicroArranger I put my mic into the Touch Voice Live – then into the voice channel of my Bose. My instrument went into the second channel of the Bose.

For some reason I was getting a much better sound than using the Pa900 for my mic. It seem fuller – but more wires and stuff to carry.

John C.

John,
The difference you heard was probably due to the Bose Preamp - it has a tonematch preset for vocal mic, so in effect, you were preamping your vocal twice. Once in the TC unit, then again in the Bose. Gain staging is crucial in any application, but more so, with vocals, because of the wide dynamic range, and subtle changes in tone, and intensity. If you set the gain correctly in your Korg Mic pre, then adjust the processor to taste, I'm sure you come to a happy medium between that sound, and the sound direct to your Bose. Don't forget - the sound of your keyboard speakers color the tone, as well.

#438797 - 10/09/17 12:07 PM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
That was very nice Dave! Besides having great vocal technique and piano chops, I appreciate your musical artistry. Keep em' coming.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#438802 - 10/09/17 12:38 PM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: montunoman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
That was very nice Dave! Besides having great vocal technique and piano chops, I appreciate your musical artistry. Keep em' coming.

Thanks! On another topic - I see you're from Dallas. I'm not watching football this season, but the Dallas/GreenBay game was on at work Sunday night ... all I saw was the last 2 minutes - WOW! Like a high school scramble! All those lateral attempts. Very amusing. Sorry 'bout the outcome, but I enjoyed it.
smile

#438804 - 10/09/17 01:24 PM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By montunoman

Thanks! On another topic - I see you're from Dallas. I'm not watching football this season, but the Dallas/GreenBay game was on at work Sunday night ... all I saw was the last 2 minutes - WOW! Like a high school scramble! All those lateral attempts. Very amusing. Sorry 'bout the outcome, but I enjoyed it.
smile

"You win some. you lose some. But you live, you live to fight another day!"

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#438848 - 10/10/17 10:52 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
Melodious Offline

Loc: Florida
WOW! Uncle Dave, you have blown me away with your voice and keyboard skills!

#438864 - 10/10/17 07:30 PM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Thanks, Melodious - you made my day!

#438867 - 10/10/17 11:54 PM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]

Dave your post got me going. Instead of complaining about my voice losing its quality --- I’m taking deep breaths and singing the scales while I’m driving.

Do Re Me Fa Sol La Te Do – Hold the note as long as I can; then increase in volume, and then decrease in volume.

Thanks, John C.

#438877 - 10/11/17 07:45 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Dave your post got me going. Instead of complaining about my voice losing its quality --- I’m taking deep breaths and singing the scales while I’m driving.

Do Re Me Fa Sol La Te Do – Hold the note as long as I can; then increase in volume, and then decrease in volume.

Thanks, John C.

THAT'S what that racket was! I thought it was my tires whining! smile
Seriously, maybe I should do stuff like that. I just go in every night, grab a cup of coffee, turn on the gear and start singing for the semi-drunk rich people!
I have lost a note or two off the top end, but I suppose that's to be expected. I can growl better now, so maybe that makes up for it. smile

#438878 - 10/11/17 08:01 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, you have, obviously, been doing the right thing for years in recording your performances and listening and critiquing them on a daily basis. When I learned broadcasting, I did the same thing using a big reel to reel tape recorder. I wanted to sound like Walter Cronkite but that never happened - I just sounded like me, which turned out to be OK. And, you sound like YOU, which is a good thing, though you didn't think that was the case when I first met you. I told you that you had a unique, very good voice - guess I was right in my assessment. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#438880 - 10/11/17 08:37 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave-that'a cool as the drool on an eskimo's ****!

Russ (still gross) Lay

#438882 - 10/11/17 08:46 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
UD ... I just got a chance to hear this ...
Your voice sounds clear and strong, and of course your piano playing is great as always ...
You are absolutely one of the members of this forum that I would pay to watch perform ...
Keep up the great work ...

#438892 - 10/11/17 11:57 AM Re: Be gentile ... it's my first time [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

You guys are spoiling me! Thanks for the votes of confidence - really makes a guy feel good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online