SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#43855 - 05/01/03 08:04 PM KN7000 Drums
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Me-I preformed professionally for thirty-five years as a Band-leader-Guitar player/singer/ front man. In 1985 I purchased my first keyboard, Yamaha. My first keyboard was the Kn2000, then KN3000,KN5000,KN6000,KN6500, and now the Kn7000. I loved the Technics keyboards, but I always felt that they were lacking a strong drum and bass sound. Dancers want to feel not just listen to nice sounds.
I created my own drum kit in the user drums, also a few strong basses. Wow, what a difference. My dancers are responding, the keyboard is alive--it's great.
I do not use the user drum kit at home, the factory drums for home use is just right for me.
Anyone have a different thought on drums?
John C

#43856 - 05/02/03 06:33 AM Re: KN7000 Drums
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
John,
I believe that there have been a few posts in the past by people who also feel that the drums are a little weak for their taste and have asked how to 'beef' them up.
I tend to agree because when I play a live dance, I turn up the bass on the external speaker system. This is probably not as good as a better drum kit because it tends to sound 'boomy'. Since I am not a drummer and really don't where to start -- would you care to share your drum kit? I would sure appreciate it and I believe others might also.
Regards,
Walt

#43857 - 05/02/03 12:58 PM Re: KN7000 Drums

Walt Meyer:

I believe that there have been a few posts in the past by people who also feel that the drums are a little weak for their taste and have asked how to 'beef' them up.
I tend to agree because when I play a live dance, I turn up the bass on the external speaker system. This is probably not as good as a better drum kit because it tends to sound 'boomy'. Since I am not a drummer and really don't where to start -- would you care to share your drum kit? I would sure appreciate it and I believe others might also.
Regards,Walt

Walt, I would be glad to share the drum kit. The kit will not blend with all the styles, but it can be edited to fit the important ones.(Merengue, Rhumba,Disco, ect)
The user drum kit is used with the current panel memory. So I have a choice of the original factory setings,or the one I created. Best of both worlds.

Walt, I am just putting this idea together. I need some time to finish it, and I need to deside how to present it. Everytime I use the user drums I have to smile, it was there all the time. It sounds great---not perfect, just great--no GREAT.
John C.
How does one use the above smile faces when posting?

#43858 - 05/02/03 01:34 PM Re: KN7000 Drums
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
John,
Thanks in advance. Take your time, we'll just wait until you get it together. As you said, maybe it won't fit all types of music - that's really not the idea - but it will show me and others that drum editing can be of value, and hopefully we'll learn how to tweak the drums to our own preferences.
It may start me on a whole new learning curve!
Regards,
Walt

#43859 - 05/02/03 02:05 PM Re: KN7000 Drums
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi,
just a tip? I myself sometimes use the 'equalizer' in the reverb&effect-group. It can firmly polish the output of the sounds in the lower, mid and high range. If you did not yet use this feature before, I advise you to give it a try.
Greetings,
Cees.

#43860 - 05/02/03 03:53 PM Re: KN7000 Drums
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Another Tip..... If the style you are using, is in the Composer section, it is possible to make quite significant alterations to the drum sounds by altering the relative volume levels and equaliser settings, within the Composer editing facilities. If you wish to use a normal built in style as a basis, then just copy it to Composer, edit it and use it from the Composer. It's surprising how easily you can make a 'new' style by changing some or all of the instruments in the 5 Accompaniment parts of a style.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#43861 - 05/02/03 06:51 PM Re: KN7000 Drums

Wow, this is the second time I'm writing this---everything disappeared. ??? Hmmm!!
Hi Cees and Bill, Thanks for your imput. I am aware of the composer and the possible changes I can make in the mixer.

I play a KN7000 live with an active left hand. I am trying to keep the keyboard as close to factory settings as possible.(KISS) I feel that they did a great job with the styles, and I just want to bring the basses and drums closer to what I need. My thought was to use the CURENT PANEL to select an edited bass, and a edit set of drums for the style I am using.

It is a big job to set up this system of selecting, but when it is done I can select the edited drums and basses with the touch of button. There are times when I press the button just to kick the song, and then back to normal to end it.

Yes, it is a lot of work, but when done it will give me versatility, simplicity, and freedom.

On more time, Thanks for your suggestions Cees and Bill, they are appreciated. John C.

#43862 - 05/02/03 08:10 PM Re: KN7000 Drums
Ad Rouw Offline

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Besides the mentioned possibilities to alter the color and volume of the preset drums and bass, there is a third possibility I like to use myself: Press SOUND ARRANGER SET, choose a more "heavy" drumkit and/or bass and off you go. You can also select the sounds/kits from the expansion boards if you have any. Works just great for me.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online