SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#436909 - 09/03/17 01:32 PM Re: Old Geezer time [Re: 124]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By 124
So when are you guys putting out an album?

Probably never. We get so involved in jamming that we're very undisciplined at this stage. The other guys (not me) are such great musicians and especially great readers that we can go through a LOT of tunes at 'rehearsal' and rarely stay on one tune long enough to fine-tune it. The hardest thing is usually finding a good drum pattern (BK7m or DM10) to fit a tune. We really need a good drummer/percussionist but don't want the hassle of what that entails. Plus Bob really wants a good seasoned female vocalist (jazz stylist type) and it's hard to find one that doesn't want to get paid.

We mostly do organ trio type stuff but I have a decent piano and a heavily-tweaked 'Rhodes' on the BK7m plus a couple of nice 'supernatural' brasses on my VP770 (which sets on top of my organ). My organ, a KeyB Duo Mk111, has a 'string bass' setting on the pedals that is quite authentic. A side benefit is that it (the KeyB) has permanently cured my 'new keyboard' lust (GAS).

chas

#437656 - 09/17/17 02:56 PM Re: Old Geezer time [Re: cgiles]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Chas,

I just saw this post in the bar,(I dont visit the bar too

often). Delighted to hear you are connecting with two "old

heads), as we would say on this side of the pond.

the possibilities are mouth watering.

Best of luck on your "project"

Frank

#437661 - 09/17/17 05:23 PM Re: Old Geezer time [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Frank. We had a 'jam' this afternoon. Worked mostly on Corzell's tunes which include a lot of Grover Washington. Bob (guitar player) really favors 'realbook' standards and latin-flavored tunes but can handle the smooth jazz stuff with ease. Me, I'm just trying to keep up with these guys. We may be getting a new 'geezer', the music director over at nearby Rheinhardt (sp) College. He's also a reed player. Having a lot of fun relearning old tunes. BTW, bob has a neat little Ipad program that instantly downloads a song from itunes, displays the chords, and instantly transposes if necessary. I'll look for something similar for my android tablet. I'm sure one exists.

chas

#437910 - 09/25/17 11:48 AM Re: Old Geezer time [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Loved the song, Chas. Put down for that first album.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437928 - 09/25/17 03:31 PM Re: Old Geezer time [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Corzell couldn't make Sunday's jam (probably at home watching the Falcons game smile ), so Bob and I worked on 'realbook' tunes. He did a solo on 'Angel Eyes' that just blew me away; gotta' record it, just gotta'. He brings a different (vintage) guitar each Sunday; this Sunday was a 40 yr old custom made (for him) hollowbody that he claims is worth about 15k. Beautiful tone, but then I thought the same thing about the 30 yr old Gibson he brought last week. Ahhhh, guitar players, you gotta love 'um (ref. our own Russ and Nigel smile ). BTW, these sessions come with great sacrifice, being, as they are, in the middle of what is usually my home game (Falcons/Eagles). I have to watch them on 'tape' after taking extreme precautions not to hear the score beforehand smile.

Still hoping for the best possible outcome for your health problems. I like your approach of focusing on 'the music'. Best of luck.

chas

#439426 - 10/20/17 09:26 AM Re: Old Geezer time [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
We'll be in Newnan the evening of the 29th (Sunday), thru at least Wednesday.

R.

#439458 - 10/20/17 01:56 PM Re: Old Geezer time [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Great. Are you coming via I75 (where we met last time)? That's in Kennesaw, GA and very close to me. Newnan is a haul. Check your map. In any case, we'll figure it out. Anyhoo, this time, I'm buying........maybe smile. You've got my number, give me a call the week of...

chas

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online