SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#43725 - 03/17/06 05:16 AM Opinions Adding a sub-woofer
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I am using a pair of JBL 10? self-powered speakers, I love their sound, great mids. I would like to add a sub-woofer but not one those heavy units. Scott L. is using the same pair of JBL speakers with the woofer from the Logitech Z5500 (no satellites ? small speakers)
I am open for any opinions.

Thanks, John C.

#43726 - 03/17/06 07:11 AM Re: Opinions Adding a sub-woofer
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
John,

I am using a sub-woofer in my home music room and let me tell you it sure makes a difference. On the job however I do not use a separate sub. I cannot give you a recommended size, brand or power however. I have had mine for a number of years so what is current I could not say. However this is what I did when I purchased.

I listened at different stores to many different subs. All I can say is that I found quite a difference among them. Some amplified the base sounds. Some removed the higher frequencies. Then there were those that made my body feel the sound as well as my ears responding. I liked the total sound plus the feeling of my body sort of getting a massage from the inside out. In the end I guess it’s only what the pocket book can handle.

I have found that getting older has some benefits. The older I get I find the necessity for having a great deal of money for the future of less and less importance mainly because less and less future is left to look forward to. The benefit is that it frees up more and more cash to spend on the now.

Happy hunting, spending and playing.

Grandpa Doug with Ruthie sending a smile to you also.

#43727 - 03/17/06 07:32 AM Re: Opinions Adding a sub-woofer
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
John ... I am using the Z-5500s for my kn6000 and vocals ... I (and the customers) love the sound ... I have not yet tried the sub with other sats (perhaps I'll give that a try this weekend) ...
In all my years of playing gigs, even with the band, I had never used a sub ... I really like the difference it makes ...
I only wish the kn6 had separate outs for the bass and drums as does the kn7 ...
Doug is right in that you really have to try different subs with YOUR gear ...
good luck,
t.

#43728 - 03/17/06 08:01 AM Re: Opinions Adding a sub-woofer
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Most Sub-Bass units just add a boom...boom...boom and no real bottom end. A good Sub will flap your trouser and produce good clean lows.

#43729 - 03/17/06 10:20 AM Re: Opinions Adding a sub-woofer
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Hi John,

I use an MJA 50 sub woofer when using my KN7000, in my opinion Technics keyboards lack that overall punch without a sub woofer, it's an absolute essential add-on and worth every penny in getting the best sound from your keyboard.

Here's a link for more info http://www.mjacoustics.co.uk/

All the best

Peter

#43730 - 03/17/06 10:36 AM Re: Opinions Adding a sub-woofer
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
John,
Listen to Grandpa Doug, and let her fly, get a PAS, then you will have the best for life.
Bernie

#43731 - 03/18/06 08:56 AM Re: Opinions Adding a sub-woofer
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
John,
Listen to Grandpa Doug, and let her fly, get a PAS, then you will have the best for life.
Bernie

Bernie, is the PAS coming to the forum?

John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online