SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#43718 - 01/29/06 04:01 AM midi-ing 2 boards
runner50 Offline

Loc: Geneva
I have a roland pf2 and Kn6 that I would like to midi together. The roland would be my master so I maintain the touch and feel of an acoustic, and the kn6 would be the slave. Is there any of you that have tried to connect these 2 boards? Cant seem to setup the roland...and keep the settings. This is my first time using 2 boards midi'd.

Thank you for any help!!

MikeF

#43719 - 01/29/06 10:34 AM Re: midi-ing 2 boards
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Mike,

Many moons ago, I bought the Roland E86 and it was a very good keyboard but oh! so hard to setup with my KN650 keyboard, so I phoned the shop and they sent their young man round to do it for me.

First, I had to say which would be my 'Master' keyboard (in my case the Technics) he then matched the MIDI CHANNELS of the two instruments (using the two Manufacturers Manuals). When he had done all the necessary work, he saved it in SMF format to Floppy Disk in the Roland. The disk was left in the Roland Floppy Drive which was activated as soon as the two keyboards were switched on. This was fine if I wanted to play the two together but what would I do if I only wanted to play the KN or the Roland separately I wanted to know. The answer? "whichever keyboard you want to use, turn the volume down on the other" was his reply. At the time, I thought he might be a little 'eccentric' but it worked just fine. Sometimes simplicity is the best route to go down.

However, because technology has advanced so much, it might be even easier now.

Hope this helps.

Aud (U.K.

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 01-29-2006).]

#43720 - 01/29/06 10:40 AM Re: midi-ing 2 boards
runner50 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by runner50:
I have a roland pf2 and Kn6 that I would like to midi together. The roland would be my master so I maintain the touch and feel of an acoustic, and the kn6 would be the slave. Is there any of you that have tried to connect these 2 boards? Cant seem to setup the roland...and keep the settings. This is my first time using 2 boards midi'd.

Thank you for any help!!

MikeF

#43721 - 01/29/06 10:41 AM Re: midi-ing 2 boards
runner50 Offline

Well, youve really not tole me anything to help. I have changed the roland to channel 3...why 3 I have no clue...but someone told me channel 3 for midi out to other source. I have made no changes on the kn6 under part settings for midi setup. Do I have to make any changes there?

MikeF

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hi Mike,

Many moons ago, I bought the Roland E86 and it was a very good keyboard but oh! so hard to setup with my KN650 keyboard, so I phoned the shop and they sent their young man round to do it for me.

First, I had to say which would be my 'Master' keyboard (in my case the Technics) he then matched the MIDI CHANNELS of the two instruments (using the two Manufacturers Manuals). When he had done all the necessary work, he saved it in SMF format to Floppy Disk in the Roland. The disk was left in the Roland Floppy Drive which was activated as soon as the two keyboards were switched on. This was fine if I wanted to play the two together but what would I do if I only wanted to play the KN or the Roland separately I wanted to know. The answer? "whichever keyboard you want to use, turn the volume down on the other" was his reply. At the time, I thought he might be a little 'eccentric' but it worked just fine. Sometimes simplicity is the best route to go down.

However, because technology has advanced so much, it might be even easier now.

Hope this helps.

Aud (U.K.

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 01-29-2006).]

#43722 - 01/30/06 02:06 PM Re: midi-ing 2 boards
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Mike,

Look in your Manual for the page that covers MIDI CLOCK settings. This might help you.

Aud (U.K.)

#43723 - 01/30/06 02:39 PM Re: midi-ing 2 boards
runner50 Offline

Audry: Thanks for your response but changin the clock settings from internal to midi give the kn6 no sound whatsoever. I am looking for how to change the channel settings. Cant seem to find it anywhere...and so far no one from the synthzone has given me any options to try.
Cant call technics anymore not unless someone has a number that works and you can talk to tech support.

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hi Mike,

Look in your Manual for the page that covers MIDI CLOCK settings. This might help you.

Aud (U.K.)

#43724 - 01/31/06 12:45 AM Re: midi-ing 2 boards
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello MikeF
I don’t have either keyboard, but have downloaded the manuals, (I presume pf2 was a misspell as I can only find a fp2) and the Roland will only output on 1 channel at a time, the default being 1, which means if both keyboards are set at the manufacture default settings, when you connect the Midi Out of the fp2 to the Kn, the fp2 will play whatever is selected for the right hand on the Kn, if you wish to use other parts of the Kn then look in the Technics manual to see what channel you have to set the fp2.
Hope this helps.

Bill

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online