SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#437212 - 09/08/17 10:23 PM MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I’m not even sure how to lay this out......it’s too complex. But I’m really interested in what you fellows would do here yourselves? I’ll try my best to explain it.

Every year, through an agent, I do “Bob’s” garden party. He likes me and I like him and the same with the guests…we all like each other. I get a $50 tip every year. After the first event, a few years back, he called me and asked can he book me “direct.” I replied that morally, ethnically, and professionally I can’t do that. So he proceeds to book through the agent. I was decent enough to tell the agent that he tried to book direct. Agent thanked me for my honesty.

This year it goes like this. Agent telephones me two weeks ago (and two weeks before the job) and says client wants me to do the party again. Exactly two hours later, client calls me and again asks can he book me direct (to save the agent fee). I told him again I can’t do that and then, puzzled, I called the agent and asked if that was a solid booking. Agent replies yes so I rescheduled that day for the agent.

Now the mish-mash starts. I don’t hear from anyone and it’s a week away. I telephone the agent and was advised “the client didn’t send back the contract.” Me to agent: “you wouldn’t even have told me if I didn’t call YOU......you’re telling me now I have no job?” I tell the agent I want him to let me call Bob (the client) and try and get my job back by booking it directly. Bob was cool. We had an honest conversation about what happened. He got tired of paying the agent (imagine this......$650 for me......which explains why he wanted to book me directly). He made it clear he’s going to go without music if he can’t get me direct.

I called back the agent and told him what transpired. That the client is tired of paying an exorbitant amount for his simple back yard party, and that he doesn’t want to deal anymore with the agent for his other parties. And that if I don’t book him directly, I don’t work that night! And YOU (the agent) are responsible for this conundrum......seven days before the event.

Agent starts sputtering things like “book it direct and charge him $550 and send me $200.”
Me: “no, agent, he’s tired of paying your inflated prices.”
Agent: “OK, then charge him $500 and send me $150.”
Me: “no, agent, you don’t get it. He wants to pay $400 and not a dollar more!”
Agent: “Ok, forget the job…don’t do it at all.”
Me: “so now, thanks to you, I have no job at all that night? It appears you’re more concerned about your pocketbook than my welfare. And all this after I was honest enough to tell you about him calling me directly”

At this point, I don’t care about politics and what’s right and what’s wrong in an agent/entertainer relationship. I told him off (but in a polite way). “If I don’t take this job directly that you promised me for that night, I sit home and lose X number of dollars! I did everything correctly and YOU didn’t. So YOU eat this one and next year we’ll coordinate it better. Now I hope you’re man enough to admit you made a mistake and that we can continue our working relationship.”

Agent replies: I have to think about that now.
Me: don’t waste your time thinking about it. I just made up my own mind. I don’t want to work with YOU anymore!

This agent, by the way, is a big time NY agent. Been around since God. But I’ve been around the block a few times myself. I saw through him from the beginning. He’s also a “slick Willie” who will throw you under a bus if circumstances call for it. And circumstances called for it here. He revealed the sleazy side of him. Then again, he’s a theatrical agent. They’re rated one level above a lawyer or aluminum siding salesman.

So……what would you have done? Honor the Boy Scout pledge......the unwritten agreement between you and an agent that you don’t book jobs directly and go without any pay for the night because of HIS mistake? Or be honest and professional and do what the agent commands you to do? I wouldn’t have minded this whole thing had it unfolded months before the gig, but......not one week!

I’m wondering if you guys see it in a different light. Remember......nice guys really do finish last around here (and end up sitting home with no paycheck in hand).

You can see between that nursing home fiasco and THIS fiasco, I really took a hit. It never used to be like this. At one time, agents and AD’s had integrity like we do. Now it seems like it’s every man for himself.

I always postscript these type of situations like this......remember, this is the Metropolitan area I’m dealing with. I’m hoping it’s not like this all over the country now!

#437213 - 09/08/17 10:26 PM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'd do the job and dump the agent.

#437215 - 09/08/17 10:46 PM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: Mark79100]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
A friend of mine gigs with a harp. By accident, he got to see the invoice for what the agent booking an upscale hotel in Hershey, PA charged. It was $650 for the night... 3 sets maybe?!? When the agent secured the gig with the talent, he said the gig payed $200. That's $450 for the agent?!? Just to book the gig?!? Robery!!!!

In your case, guess it wasn't right for the client to put you into that situation. You did the right thing. But the agent should admit his wrong... he messed up. If the client only wants to pay $400, the agent should offer to book it and only charge a fair 10%... $40... for making a few calls. You can make your money back in tips!

I book all our own gigs. If my wife and I would want more gigs, we may go the way of a local booking agent. We do have a lot of repeat business and word of mouth booking.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#437240 - 09/09/17 09:13 AM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Most of the agents around here, and there are not very many of them anymore, get a 40 percent commission, though a few frequently abused this rate. I found the best agent for me was ME. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437243 - 09/09/17 10:10 AM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

"Broke, busted, disgusted, agents can't be trusted" - Mamas and Papas

Agree with DonM, dump the agent. I don't use 'em anyway.

Edited by 124 (09/09/17 10:11 AM)

#437246 - 09/09/17 11:42 AM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Most of the agents around here, and there are not very many of them anymore, get a 40 percent commission, though a few frequently abused this rate. I found the best agent for me was ME. smile

Gary cool

40% Agent fee ! No way i would pay that. Most I ever paid was 20%. What do they do, make some phone calls ?
They're all sleazy so if you can book yourself do it. Only if you signed an exclusive booking clause with him are you obligated. He should have said "OK since you were honest go do the job on your own and we can continue on from there " And then you need to set a fee for his services up front. You were the good guy and tried to do the right thing but I bet he wouldn't of acted the same.

#437256 - 09/09/17 03:41 PM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: Mark79100]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
What's an agent? Never seen one.

#437258 - 09/09/17 04:42 PM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: J. Larry]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I got a guy who comes to my office every year to try to get me to let him negotiate a summer job I've had for 14 years. Claims he can get more money, an extension...whatever. I alwa7ys say no; there is no reason to use him, since I already have the job.

When I mentioned the agent to the owner, he went ballistic. He said he hired a duo the guy represented 10 years ago. The next year, he hired the duo on a regular basis. The agent billed his commission for every job that season, claiming he had an exclusive, which paid a commission on every job, whomever booked it.

The owner can't stand the guy.

I don't use agents, period!

Russ

#437259 - 09/09/17 04:44 PM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've actually had four at one time, one of which was very, very good at booking great jobs. Her commission was just 20 percent. Unfortunately, she died of breast cancer at age 44 - a tragic loss.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437383 - 09/12/17 04:54 PM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: Mark79100]
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
My $0.02 worth - I've never worked with an agent and whenever I used to gig, I'd always make arrangements myself (or let my wife do it - don't mind paying her outrageous rates smile ). You seem to rely on an agent for at least some of your bookings. The question I'd ask myself is this: going forward, am I going to be able to continue booking directly, or find a different agent or avenue of booking. If the answer is yes, as it is for many others in this forum, then ditching this unscrupulous agent is the way to go. On the other hand, if I get this gig, booking directly, but this will dry up a major source or bookings, then it may be worth it to be accommodating with this guy.

Generally we turn to using an agent when we don't want to deal ourselves with the business end of the music business, and would rather pay someone to do it for us. From your other post, it sounds like you are doing allright dealing with the clients, so the only potential benefit your agent was bringing to you is making contacts with the prospectives.

I think these days with internet and loads of data at our fingertips, everyone can find a way to market themselves. So an agent is becoming a thing of the past. Even if you use the agent, I'd try to stay away from exclusive arrangements - if he brings you a gig, he gets a (reasonable) percentage, but if you book yourself, you owe him nothing. Around here, even the real estate agents can be engaged this way. This way you don't have to be loyal to someone who feels no loyalty to you.

Best of luck,
Alex

#437883 - 09/24/17 10:41 PM Re: MY AGENT PROBLEM THIS AFTERNOON [Re: Alex K]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I did that German house party. The host was quite pleased he saved himself $250. And I made the same amount I make every year.

As for me, it seems I'm still learning, at this age, that "everyone is your friend......until it suits them NOT to be your friend.

I really thought, since he screwed up the booking that he would just "give it up to me" and move on rather than have me lose the gig (which HE made).

I have two more "agent" gigs coming up. I like them (the agents), but I can see how people turn on a dime when there's money involved.

I'm not taking chances anymore. I called them both and said: "send me a signed contract for the upcoming jobs, and don't take it personal, it's strictly business!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online