SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#437760 - 09/20/17 12:39 AM Re: My M-Audio Code 61 review [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

USINg vip in Varranger sounds like a good idea, you can select all your sounds trough the VIP interface, quite confortable

Since you can layer up to 8 sounds in a VIP channel, you could just use the 3 left and 5 right sounds from Varranger for switching between sounds...

Looks like a very good idea....

http://keyszone.boards.net

#437857 - 09/23/17 10:22 AM Re: My M-Audio Code 61 review [Re: Fran Carango]
Torch Offline

I got my Code 61 yesterday. What a good-looking controller! The keyboard action is excellent as many noted. If they make an 88 key version, I won't hesitate to get one. By the way, the first thing that I did was to update the firmware even though mine is from the latest batch. Sure enough it had an old version.

I just can't get over how inexpensive this thing is for all the features and quality it has, and moreover it comes with VIP 3.0 and other software instruments. If Roland put bellows on something like this, it will be $3,500 and $4,500 it they include accordion sounds and a few orchestra sounds. That's what the junior model Roland digital accordion FR4x costs, which I have besides the flagship model.

Thanks, Fran, for being a "cheap" influence on me. I am very happy with this controller. Sometimes little things make a big difference. These days, manufacturers are trying to do away with standard 5 pin midi connectors. This one has midi in and out. Oh, yes, expression input, too. I have a Roland A49 which has a standard 5 pin midi out, but how do you turn the dumb thing on as a standalone without a computer? I had to hack it to force it to turn on without being connected to PC whereas the Code 61 has a power input and, the power switch will turn it off while it is connected to the computer. A nice touch.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#437859 - 09/24/17 12:08 AM Re: My M-Audio Code 61 review [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chris, I am excited about your new Code61.... I know it is a great controller...

Why no one else has commented on your excitement... who knows..

They talk for weeks over a nothing picture of the Yamaha offering, but show no interest in the Code61..

Our Code61 allow us to play far superior sounds (VST) than we have in our keyboards.. yet still no interest..

As for the software updates... your fresh new Code61 was already in the delivery system when the new firmware were released (Sept8, 2017)..

The new release was to optimize the Code to the VIP 3.0 software..

BTW: you will also need to update the Code61 editor, the old version will not work with the new firmware..

I updated both on my Code61..

#437860 - 09/24/17 01:06 AM Re: My M-Audio Code 61 review [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Chris, I am excited about your new Code61.... I know it is a great controller...

Why no one else has commented on your excitement... who knows..

They talk for weeks over a nothing picture of the Yamaha offering, but show no interest in the Code61..

Our Code61 allow us to play far superior sounds (VST) than we have in our keyboards.. yet still no interest..

As for the software updates... your fresh new Code61 was already in the delivery system when the new firmware were released (Sept8, 2017)..

The new release was to optimize the Code to the VIP 3.0 software..

BTW: you will also need to update the Code61 editor, the old version will not work with the new firmware..

I updated both on my Code61..

I am sorry, but the Kronos is every bit as much a vst controller as the m-audio... i have 9 programmable sliders, 8 programmable knobs, 16 programmable buttons... i can assign them to external midi sources with 1 push of the ext button...

I can save 100 profiles for this external session.. and assign a profile to any combi ...

In general my main profile assigns 8 buttons to the pa4x for arranger features... and sliders, knobs, and 8 more buttons to mainstage ... or reason... still preferring reason... i will be considering vip, need to get my hands on a trial first before spending €100...

So you dont need a full featured master keyboard to comtroll vst’s... any keyboard with master key compatibillities ( like rolands rd2000, montage, and even the upcomming Genos will be great for comtrolling vst’s)
I do agree they are im a different price range, but they also have to offer a huge amount of features outside of the master keyboard features... and there is one thing these offer, not available in the master keyboards... these all function as an audio imterface for your pc...

I think having a full workstation with vst’s on top is my preferred choice...

#437864 - 09/24/17 06:22 AM Re: My M-Audio Code 61 review [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bachus, No one knocked the Kronos or even a 30 year old Casio that will also play VST's...

My point was no one showed any interest in Chris's post..

But since you wanted to make the comparison... No the Kronos or any other workstation can do what the $350 Code61 can....
They are not dedicated controllers.. They all lack something, some a lot...

No pads on the Kronos, No banks or layers of control for buttons, sliders, knobs, or pads...
No transport control..
No(auto) mapping benefits to all your VST's..
No bang for the buck, and free VST's along with VIP software.....ALL for $350,,,

Maybe I misunderstood your point...but I appreciate the response..

#437868 - 09/24/17 08:21 AM Re: My M-Audio Code 61 review [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Bachus, No one knocked the Kronos or even a 30 year old Casio that will also play VST's...

My point was no one showed any interest in Chris's post..

But since you wanted to make the comparison... No the Kronos or any other workstation can do what the $350 Code61 can....
They are not dedicated controllers.. They all lack something, some a lot...

No pads on the Kronos, No banks or layers of control for buttons, sliders, knobs, or pads...
No transport control..
No(auto) mapping benefits to all your VST's..
No bang for the buck, and free VST's along with VIP software.....ALL for $350,,,

Maybe I misunderstood your point...but I appreciate the response..

Obviously you have no clue what Kronos can do...

It has all those things you mentioned...
It even has pads with the nanopad connected..
You can program 64 pads (8 banks of 8) on the kronos

By pressing 1 button the onboard controllers function as 9msliders, 8 knobs, 16 buttons for directly comtrolling daw or vst’s
Also the onboard daw controlls also function for transport controlls in logic...

As i said, the Kronos can do everything with dedicated controlls the m-audio can do...

True, it comes at a different price, but it allows me to have the best of both worlds.

#437878 - 09/24/17 03:30 PM Re: My M-Audio Code 61 review [Re: Bachus]
Torch Offline

Bachus, you are an expensive influence. LOL. I almost bought the 88 limited Edition of Kronos. However, the Kronos being 53 pounds I knew that I would never take it out to gigs or whatever. Still, I'll say it is a lot of keyboard for under 4 grand.

I would think that VIP 3.0 would be the best companion to many VSTs that musicians like you yourself own. There are a number of controllers that come with VIP3. A few models run from $99 to $130.

I can see how useful and versatile the Code 61 would be for me. I can use it to drive vArranger, a small Ketron module, and VSTs.

Fran, though I don't like Facebook, someone started a VIP 3 group on it, and one or two factory employees are involved. Lots of help and cooperation between the company and users.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online