SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#436604 - 08/27/17 04:04 PM More critters in the yard...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the great aspects of living out in the boonies, as my mother said about where my home is located, is the solitude and wonders of nature that often show up when you least expect. This time of year, the moths, especially the larger species, are hatching in big numbers. I was sitting on the deck and sipping a glass of Jim Beam Honey Bourbon when this Luna Moth fluttered around my head, then landed on my hand. It was fairly cool last night, and I imaging is was a bit lethargic or it would have stayed away from me. It was there just long enough to snap a couple photos.

On another note, I quickly discovered that old farts, such as myself, are not nearly as agile as we used to be. I was out on the boat last Thursday, stopped for some fuel at the local marina and when the kid on the dock handed me a line to tie up with, I assumed is tight at the other end - WRONG! The line slipped another four feet from around the piling just as I leaned back on it to pull the boat closer to the dock. I fell about 4 feet down into the cockpit of the boat, slamming the right side of my chest into one of the bench seats, which resulted in a cracking sound. Yep, I fractured a rib, which really hurt like Hell.

After about a half hour, the pain subsided a bit so I sailed the remainder of the afternoon, drank a few Coors Lights, then motored back to the marina where I store the boat and drove home. No problems! Well, at least until I sat down in the family room recliner and had to cough - BAM! The dam rib bone broke right in half. I saw stars, didn't pass out, though I thought I would, screamed. Carol came down to see what happened, I told her, she suggested that I go to the hospital, which I refused to do. The treatment for broken ribs is just to allow them to heal on their own. Fortunately, I have a limited supply of Hydro-morphone on hand, which helps to ease the pain to some degree, but after four days It's still extremely painful. I put the boat on Craig's List on Friday. As much as I hate to admit it, there's just some things I can no longer, safely do. I guess for entertainment I'll just watch Donny buy and sell arranger keyboards. wink

Another fun day in Paradise,

Gary cool

Attachments
20170827_140521.jpg

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#436605 - 08/27/17 04:28 PM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

I enjoyed reading this story and all of Gary's stories what ever the topic, sailing , medical, etc,etc,
...so should this be in the so called bar also with mine?

PS get well soon buddy!

Edited by Dnj (08/27/17 04:29 PM)

#436607 - 08/27/17 05:37 PM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

Get well soon! Sorry to hear about your mishap. Now I’m gonna sound like your father, careful mixing that “sauce with the meds.” But knowing you I'm sure you'll use good judgement.

Edited by Stephenm52 (08/27/17 06:57 PM)

#436610 - 08/27/17 06:57 PM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]

Yeah, but my dad washed down his meds with an ice cold beer. I just use Jim Beam over ice, which provides a double whammy! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

#436620 - 08/28/17 05:37 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tyrosman5 Offline

Gary,
Damn, wish that never happened. I am 88 and I can't do lot's of things I used to. Balance is a problem so I need to aware of that all the time. Don't hear as well as I used to and now wear hearing aids. Nothing like the real thing but they do assist.

Our "club" is getting larger so relax and enjoy what's left. Lloyd

#436625 - 08/28/17 07:38 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, sorry to hear about latest mishap. As Lloyd said, with the deterioration of things like peripheral vision, balance, hearing, etc., we have to be extra careful to avoid potential hazards. I have started to notice some of the same symptoms, which is why I gave up flying, motorcycling, etc. and now restrict my physical activities to walking and keyboard playing. I gave up yard work when we moved into this house and although it's only an acre, I use a professional service. For about $2400/yr, it's more than worth it. I even try to drive as little as possible and rarely at night (deteriorating night vision). Hey, it's a natural part of the aging process and all we can do is accept it.

Anyway, hope you get back on your feet soon, and don't get too dependent on those pain meds. As for the boat, just cherish the memories and move on. I just sold my 40' diesel motorhome (after a year of non-use due to my wife's illness) and the only thing I feel is relief that I'm no longer feeding a monster that I no longer use.

Wishing you well,

chas

#436627 - 08/28/17 08:14 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]

Thanks guys, and Chas, I think I'll probably have to restrict my driving as well, same reason.

Gary cool

#436631 - 08/28/17 10:58 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
Sapphire Online   content

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
Hi guys,

a couple of weeks ago I decided I would climb onto my outhouse roof and cut back the Clematis Montana that had taken complete control of my roof. The buiilding is no higher than ten to eleven feet so not really a problem. Or so I thought.

Sorry, let me just say that I have been diagnosed with Peripheral Polyneuropathy which makes me very weak with bad balance problems and numbness and tingleing on all extremities (yes including that one as well).

Got onto the roof with no problems and my lovely wife helped me to get the Clematis off the roof and when it was done it was time to get down.
That's when the problems started. I think I exhausted myself doing the job and was now staggering around on the roof wondering how I was going to get down because I could not get my leg onto the ladder to start the coming down. At one stage my wife suggested she called the fire brigade to come and get me off the roof. However, being the proud idiot that I am I declined that offer and after some time I managed to get down to the ground.
When I reached the floor I just collapsed into a chair shaking and trying to slow my heart down and it all subsided eventually.

That is the last time. In future I will employ someone or let it grow wild.
It's ironic really as when I worked (retired now) it was delivering and erecting garden summerhouses which ranged from about 600GBP to 40,000GBP so some were very, very big and I spent a good deal of my time on their roofs.

May I just take this opportunity to wish all the people who have had problems with hurricane Harvey the best luck in the world and to know that we are all thinking of you. God bless

#436633 - 08/28/17 11:37 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Here's wishing a speedy recovery Gary!!

#436642 - 08/29/17 01:04 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary your stories are stories about real life. Thank you for sharing them.
My late father-in-law would say, “Then the wheel turns”. Meaning it is then your turn. When it is my turn I will remember much of what you have written.

Thank you my friend, John C.

#436649 - 08/29/17 07:06 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]

Thanks John, I really appreciate that/

Gary

#436876 - 09/03/17 04:44 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

surprised

Attachments
bear-wants-brownies.jpg

#436880 - 09/03/17 05:26 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
surprised

What happened? Lock yourself out again, Donny?

smile smile

Chas

#436916 - 09/03/17 04:34 PM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
I must say Gary, I really enjoyed this post, basically it came across like your life, in a nutshell. You have a nice laidback approach to everything, Whether it be the garden scene with beautiful moth, the boat incident, the 'John Wayne'approach to the broken rib and you still have your nice drop of Coers and that bourbon.
No, this post is in the right place, helps cheer us all up.

Cut back with that medication just stick with the booze and the
adventure.

Edited by Mockie (09/03/17 04:35 PM)

#436919 - 09/03/17 05:06 PM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: travlin'easy]

Thanks Mockie, I appreciate your comments. I didn't go to the boat today, though I had serious thoughts about it until I tried to walk to the van and found I couldn't breathe. So, I stayed home, did pretty much nothing all day but watch old shows on TV and sip Jim Bean Honey Bourbon. smile

The pain is still fairly intense in the ribs, but at least now I can sleep without taking morphine first. Just some aspirin and booze seems to be the ticket, now.

When I saw that bear on someone's deck rail, that photo could have been taken from my kitchen sliding door. The scene outside is nearly identical, though the trees are much closer to my deck. We do see an occasional bear behind the house, but it has been about 5 years since the last one passed through the area. Last week, there were three wild turkeys on the patio pecking at the sunflower seeds that fell from the deck's bird feeder. They were fat birds, but not my first choice for Thanksgiving dinner. Wild turkeys have the tendency to be a bit tough and gamey tasting.

All the best from a beat up old man,

Gary cool

#437159 - 09/07/17 11:38 AM Re: More critters in the yard... [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
surprised

What happened? Lock yourself out again, Donny?

smile smile

Chas

Bearly recognized him!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online