SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#436476 - 08/24/17 07:25 AM Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?"
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
This could be the way Yamaha will design the User Interface for all upcoming products. Design the hardware and save money by using an app to interface the software within the keyboard. Looks a lot like Garage Band but all the sounds are coming from the hardware.

Hmmmm?!?

https://youtu.be/XQzrsKVT8S0
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#436479 - 08/24/17 07:47 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

At least they are using a touch display...hopefully it will be used in all their upcoming kbs too.
I thought this demo sounded very good and Tyrosish? slowly more will emerge to market.

#436507 - 08/25/17 05:52 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
shueymusic Offline

It also sounds very Motif-ish!

The iPad control is great but soon, we could see a musician with a multi iPad set up all around them!

iPad Pro running tracks and displaying the charts.
iPad Air controlling your mixer.
iPod Touch for your singer... controlling their monitor mix.
iPad Mini to control the sounds in your 88 key digital piano.

It's great, don't get me wrong. But it can get even more expensive and more complicated. Plus, you have to keep them all charged and updated.

I feel the manufacturers are making products to include a tablet device just becauseā€¦#1 - It is the current craze and has a "cool" factor... #2 - It saves them a bunch of money by not having to incorporate the cost of a touch screen. Increases their profit margin?
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#436508 - 08/25/17 05:55 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

They should include the tablet in the box when you spend that kind of money for a KB..

#436509 - 08/25/17 06:05 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
They should include the tablet in the box when you spend that kind of money for a KB..

Agree. You shouldn't have to spend additional money to make something fully functional. External apps should only make things easier but you should always be able to duplicate that function on the built-in controls, even if it's harder. JMO.

chas

#436510 - 08/25/17 06:50 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
I agree. The older people that buy Yamaha products will not for the most part be excited by iPad apps.

#436516 - 08/25/17 08:21 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I own a tablet but not Apple and I don't intend to buy one ever!
If Yamaha carries on this pathway, it will be "Bye bye Yamaha" from me and many more.
Korg & Ketron will be happy bunnies though.
Tony

#436520 - 08/25/17 09:10 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: Anthony Johnson]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Anthony Johnson
I own a tablet but not Apple and I don't intend to buy one ever!
If Yamaha carries on this pathway, it will be "Bye bye Yamaha" from me and many more.
Korg & Ketron will be happy bunnies though.
Tony

Well, korg also only makes ipad apps, and ketron has no apps at all...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#436521 - 08/25/17 09:14 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic
It also sounds very Motif-ish!

The iPad control is great but soon, we could see a musician with a multi iPad set up all around them!

iPad Pro running tracks and displaying the charts.
iPad Air controlling your mixer.
iPod Touch for your singer... controlling their monitor mix.
iPad Mini to control the sounds in your 88 key digital piano.

It's great, don't get me wrong. But it can get even more expensive and more complicated. Plus, you have to keep them all charged and updated.

I feel the manufacturers are making products to include a tablet device just becauseā€¦#1 - It is the current craze and has a "cool" factor... #2 - It saves them a bunch of money by not having to incorporate the cost of a touch screen. Increases their profit margin?

Even behringer mixers work with ipad apps only...

As said many times before, dont blame yamaha and all the other producers, blame google...

I have given many examples so far... of why... in other posts

Overhere in europe almost every bandmember or musiciian uses an ipad...ofcourse they are expensive... but for anything more then music reading or webbrowsing.... the ipad is superior..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#436523 - 08/25/17 09:38 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
shueymusic Offline

I only use Apple. I had a Soundcraft Ui16. Worked great but needed a tablet as the interface. That's why I got the QSC TouchMix-30Pro to replace it... LCD touchpad built in. I guess that's my point. All functions should be available without the aid of a tablet.

#436536 - 08/25/17 11:58 PM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I actually have 2 tablets - one is Android and the other is Windows 10. The excuse that it's Googles fault is not good enough when the windows platform is there.
I can do anything which can be done on Ipad plus much more.

If Yamaha or any other companies refuse to use any system other than Apple then they are short sighted and foolish.

As Shuey said "All functions should be available without the aid of a tablet".

I will not be railroaded into buying something I don't want and I won't be left with an instrument that's useless if my tablet goes down - that's not progress, it's a step back.
Tony

#436537 - 08/26/17 04:40 AM Re: Yamaha CSP Demo... preview of the "New Yamaha?" [Re: shueymusic]
Tyrosman5 Offline

It gets more complicated and complex, not to mention the ultra
high cost today. Older people (me included) will stay with the
older and less complex boards. We are the forgotton generation.
Lloyd
All one needs today is a big amp. and two chords and just push
buttons. Ugh !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online