Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#436006 - 08/14/17 05:49 AM Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys
Dnj Offline

cool2

with some time & effort you could recreate this harmony using the
TC Helicon VH.

#436007 - 08/14/17 07:09 AM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
That is AMAZING - both of those! To hear that song a cappella, is amazing itself ... but to see that song being performed all-live, all musicians and singers at the same time (instead of via overdubs etc) - is great. When I was a kid and this song was "out" and popular, I thought of it as a simple, typical "for-the-teens" song, but it's got a lot going on in it!

-Jim

#436008 - 08/14/17 08:56 AM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Fantastic. The Accapella excerpt really show their amazing talents. I'm like Jim, back in the day you didn't realize how good they really were, just fun summer songs to blast on your AM radio in the car.
And of all the bands back then I can only remenber one who tried to do some of their songs.
Good stuff.

#436010 - 08/14/17 09:22 AM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Love the Accordion player in #2 nice touch also...so kool

#436013 - 08/14/17 10:51 AM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: Dnj]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Awesome harmonies in that mix. There is a mix of Major/Minor chords, plus I could hear some 6ths and 9ths on a couple of the chords. Difficult to simulate on a Vocal Harmony processor, unless the processor reproduces the exact harmony notes.

A keyboard player would have to play the actual harmony notes or trigger the notes via a midi channel with a dedicated harmony assigned to that channel. Some MIDI Songs have the harmony data channel programmed into the file.

I of course am familiar with the Yamaha VH2, which does read harmony channels. With the VH processor built in many arrangers keyboards, one only has to set the VH to sense chords and avoid the fixed scale presets to accurately apply the correct harmony intervals.

I have the TC Helicon Voicelive 2 Extreme, and preset 78 is called, Beach Boy Radio, but I am not sure what particular song it is based on, however it indicates only a Harmony above. To get all the correct harmonies, the VH processor would have to receive chord data played and what preset notes you want above or below your singing voice.

You could set the TC Helicon VH to control, "midi notes", but my unit is limited to 4 notes unless you double up. Personally, my Roland VP vocal harmony processor would do the best job to reproduce the Beach Boys harmonies. I would play the actual harmony chord notes during a performance and use vocoder in Variation mode. As far as I can tell, the Roland VP-7 has limitless harmony notes in Variation mode, playing all notes received. Great for choir simulations, but helpful in creating the Beach Boy sound. The Variation preset selection would depend on your singing voice characteristics. Roland really nailed the Variphrase technology that found its way into their VH keyboards and VH units. Too bad Roland abandoned this product line.

Marcus

#436015 - 08/14/17 11:00 AM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: Marcus]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
I still use my vp7 By far the best ever built'
too bad most people never looked past the defalt settings to get into the full choirs settings They are awesome. t c helicon just came out with one that has a similar setup called notes that sings uo to 8 notes at once but not as cool as the vp7.
MEL

#436016 - 08/14/17 11:26 AM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, you could assign your harmony to the right hand as Uncle Dave does, and do an incredible job on this song. You should hear some of his harmony creations - they're absolutely awesome.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#436017 - 08/14/17 11:58 AM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Actually, you could assign your harmony to the right hand as Uncle Dave does, and do an incredible job on this song. You should hear some of his harmony creations - they're absolutely awesome.

Gary cool

Maybe dave could grace us with a right hand vocoder version?

Edited by Dnj (08/14/17 11:59 AM)

#436018 - 08/14/17 12:57 PM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: Marcus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Marcus
Awesome harmonies in that mix. There is a mix of Major/Minor chords, plus I could hear some 6ths and 9ths on a couple of the chords. Difficult to simulate on a Vocal Harmony processor, unless the processor reproduces the exact harmony notes.

A keyboard player would have to play the actual harmony notes or trigger the notes via a midi channel with a dedicated harmony assigned to that channel. Some MIDI Songs have the harmony data channel programmed into the file.

I of course am familiar with the Yamaha VH2, which does read harmony channels. With the VH processor built in many arrangers keyboards, one only has to set the VH to sense chords and avoid the fixed scale presets to accurately apply the correct harmony intervals.

I have the TC Helicon Voicelive 2 Extreme, and preset 78 is called, Beach Boy Radio, but I am not sure what particular song it is based on, however it indicates only a Harmony above. To get all the correct harmonies, the VH processor would have to receive chord data played and what preset notes you want above or below your singing voice.

You could set the TC Helicon VH to control, "midi notes", but my unit is limited to 4 notes unless you double up. Personally, my Roland VP vocal harmony processor would do the best job to reproduce the Beach Boys harmonies. I would play the actual harmony chord notes during a performance and use vocoder in Variation mode. As far as I can tell, the Roland VP-7 has limitless harmony notes in Variation mode, playing all notes received. Great for choir simulations, but helpful in creating the Beach Boy sound. The Variation preset selection would depend on your singing voice characteristics. Roland really nailed the Variphrase technology that found its way into their VH keyboards and VH units. Too bad Roland abandoned this product line.

Marcus

The vocoder mode in my G70 would also handle it in real time...
Select vocoder and select "my voice"....play the notes you desire... 1 note or 4 note chords...plus your lead vocal..

You can detail the formant , zone, octave, effects etc..

No way can you duplicate the song in fixed harmony, and simple chord recognition.. too many alterations and complex voicings..

#436019 - 08/14/17 02:12 PM Re: Wouldn't It Be Nice Acappella + Beach Boys [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (08/14/17 02:23 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online