SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#43594 - 05/29/06 06:15 AM Learning a song and having fun
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Not for everyone ---, I put in some chord substitutions in the song
“All the things you are”. I wanted to memorize the song so after studying the structure the song I began to play it. The registration in my Kn7 was set to the factory “Tour of the KN7000”, the original settings, and in expanded mode.
As I started to play the song I pressed a registration and the rhythm changes, and so did the instrumentation. I did not realize it was in expanded mode. I played the song through 40 different registrations. Wow what a way to get to learn a song.
What the keyboard taught me;
1-That the song was not limited to the one jazz style I was used to.
2-As the style changed so did my interpretation of the song.

I played the song with a waltz style, Latin, ballad, rock and a fast 2step.
I improvised according to the feel of the style, each one led me to play the song differently.
The results;
1-I know the song well.
2-I found new ways to interpret the song.
3-The keyboard taught me things that I have never thought of, like playing “All the things” you are in a Waltz tempo. aaaaah.

The best part --- I enjoyed the Kn7 for 2 ˝ hours and walked away satisfied, I felt I was creative and there was no repetition
What an enjoyable way to open new doors.

John C. – having fun

#43595 - 05/29/06 09:11 PM Re: Learning a song and having fun
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
John C. I do this mixing styles with songs most times I play. Play 4/4 song as 3/4 or 3/4 song as 4/4 etc: It's good for improving timing skills.

#43596 - 05/29/06 10:29 PM Re: Learning a song and having fun
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
John,

Your sentiments do you credit. And your experience with 'All The Things You Are' (bet you didn't do the verse ?), is something which many of us do as a normal part of our keyboarding. - And your overall point about 'moving on, learning and growing' via new technology, is obviously applicable to many.

Your 'moving on' also suggests 'not with Technics'. And not with the K7. But why not. ? The sequencer in the K7 is the finest there is. It's a tool, which if used to it's fullest, can enable a player to be transported into the realms of musicianship he never thought he had. !! - I mean of course, the 'realtime' multi-tracking function, not 'Easy Record'.

If you experiment in getting to know everything the sequencer will do, including the use of the Composer and Step record etc, you will discover that it can take you into realms of creativity, which you never thought you had. You can (if willing to be patient), finish up with a complete example of arangement and orchestration, which is all your own work. An expression of your musicality. - And it is 'THE TECHNOLOGY' of the KN which enables you to express your own musical abilities to their fullest. if you then consign your creation to CD, you have a record for all time of what you did.

In other words your 'moving on and learning' does not require you to obtain a different, and new keyboard. The inherent technology designed into the KN sequencer, will give the user a learning curve which is second to none. It's a wonderful tool, which, with detailed knowledge of it, becomes the route to producing amazing things. I doubt any other keyboard can do quite the same. If you can sit at this keyboard, and produce a 16 track recording of your own creation, you have 'the ultimate'. - Happy sequencing, Colin.

#43597 - 05/30/06 01:20 AM Re: Learning a song and having fun
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Thank you Colin, you're a special man, John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online