SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#435928 - 08/12/17 08:40 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Lesson 101....No offense to you folks that are excited about over dubbing MP3's.. smile

It is a dumb idea, that you won't find on any quality recording instrument..
If you were talking about wave.. okay....We have keyboards over 20 years doing this... It is called multi track recording.. usually 4 or 8 tracks like on original Fantoms..

Now for lesson 101 grin

MP3's are compressed audio, that degrades the quality.. even at 256 rate.
Now if you overdub with another MP3 record.. the quality reduces dramatically, and this is one overdub... you don't want to even think of a second overdub... the artifacts are terrible and useless... unless you wanted that chipmunk sound.. smile

You are better to record a midi capture of your song, then record this with your vocal track... at least it would be one generation..
Consider what I am saying..

BTW: there are reasons that most companies have instruments that record wave files.... even my lowly EA7 wink

Don't get excited about the MP3 overdub feature... you have better solutions... cool

#435929 - 08/12/17 08:46 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Fran if that was the case regarding wav why are you using all mp3s on your laptop on gigs?...
personally I have never had audio issues using high quality Mp3s from my laptop ...

as an example the first demo is a WAV
the sends is a Mp3...

listen to both not much difference and much less storage room...
just sayin..

WAV

https://app.box.com/s/0ye2q2lwq2yrlfnpcdbe1wwsrvxm8roa

Mp3

https://app.box.com/s/5aim6hjxsrhjvwwnnuwu4z4215ycjnkq

headphone

Now can we get back to finding the answer to the original problem question for Tonys Pa900?

Edited by Dnj (08/12/17 09:00 AM)

#435933 - 08/12/17 09:09 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

After I comment grin

We used MP3 because they were small in size, and MP3 players are cheap..
We also didn't know better 20 years ago..
Today I only use wave live...only reduced to MP3 to send via email etc.

Memory is cheap today... we should record wave..

And there is a big difference in audio quality.. clarity , top end, and sizzle suffer in MP3 format..
Experiment .... you will learn the difference..

We are talking about over dub in this post.. This is a major problem ...it doesn't work.. Ask any experienced recording engineer.. he will set you straight smile

#435934 - 08/12/17 09:21 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Tony you can not overdub MP3's on the PA900... Page 94 in the manual..

But you can record the best way.. use a external player into your inputs of the PA900.. It will record the keyboard and input signal as MP3..

#435935 - 08/12/17 09:30 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I don't believe it can record an MP3 or any audio while an audio file is playing, same as the PSR-S950/970. In the PSR series, this also includes audio styles. In this case, the player is playing the audio style, therefore, the recording feature cannot be activated at the same time.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#435937 - 08/12/17 09:35 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
After I comment grin

And there is a big difference in audio quality.. clarity , top end, and sizzle suffer in MP3 format..

We are talking about over dub in this post.. This is a major problem ...it doesn't work.. Ask any experienced recording engineer.. he will set you straight smile

Im sure in a mix or a nursing home no one will hear the differences....no thanx I'll stick with Mp3s..

#435938 - 08/12/17 09:36 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Tony you can not overdub MP3's on the PA900... Page 94 in the manual..

But you can record the best way.. use a external player into your inputs of the PA900.. It will record the keyboard and input signal as MP3..

I havnt read it yet ..I guess thats the answer Tony was looking for, that's too bad..
...I'm glad I have a Pa4x that can do it all easily... cool2

#435941 - 08/12/17 10:16 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Dnj]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Im thinking, with no of knowing really, that the PA4X has two seperate mp3 player/recorders and that the PA900 probably only one.
With only one it can not play an mp3 and record simultaneously.
make sense?
Jim

#435942 - 08/12/17 10:18 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
After I comment grin

Im sure in a mix or a nursing home no one will hear the differences....no thanx I'll stick with Mp3s..

Of course you are right...any venue we play won't matter much.. Most of the time the sound system makes it sound bad enough.. smile

But what about your CD's.... You take a karaoke file (that is an MP3), and record your vocal over it... Just remember once you are degraded into an MP3, mixing down to a wave does nothing to improve the quality..
Always record as a wave...always!!!!
If you want to save space to play back from a thumb drive etc, okay, no one will care.... but to get a professional sound for your CD.... you have no choice.... Wave!!!!

Listen to commercial CD... Buble, etc... then listen to your best recorded song on a CD.... I am pretty sure you will hear the difference..
Sure our recorded results are acceptable in our world... but give them a chance to shine a bit... record as waves..

BTW: Don't listen to an uploaded song (youtube)...it is an MP3.... but the produced commercial CD, will show what I am trying to tell you.. smile

#435943 - 08/12/17 10:30 AM Re: HELP Pa900 will not record MP3 track & vocals?? [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online