SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#43592 - 11/11/04 01:52 AM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Thanks Frank,

I do the same like you did with google and always see Japanese letters which confuse me and not knowing if that is a midifile or something else.

The second link in a very interesting one. also for the music theory sites.
Thanks again.
rgds.
Willem

#43593 - 11/11/04 12:57 PM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Bez:
Okay Irngkybrd,
A friend in New Zealand just inquired about this proceedure, so I'm passing on the same information to you.

LOAD MIDI File
Use GM to NX
From the sequencer page turn on the mixer.
Note the tracks you want to copy

In The Program Menus
PRESS Composer
PRESS Sequencer to Composer Copy
SELECT Measures to Copy
Transpose to the Key of C
SELECT Composer Memory and Variation
PRESS OK

Okay, here is the art part. I find that the best MIDI files come from Japan. Because of the copyright crack down, free MIDI files, especially in the U.S. are very poorly written. When you start out it’s best to look for songs that are in a Major key. As you get into it you will find Minor key Intros and Endings can be useful. Given a piece of music you like, try to find at least one measure in the song that doesn’t change chords. This usually happens at the end of a phrase. Note the number of that measure or measures. Now determine what key the song is being played in and count how many half steps it will take to put it into the Key of C.

You will remember that everything in the Composer is in the Key of C and thus will translate into the chord you play in your left hand. Once this 1 or 2 measure pattern is in the Composer you can extend it into a four measure pattern. At times I like to go for 8 measures because it gives you the opportunity to introduce a counter melody which can start at the third measure and sound more like a live arrangement rather than a very mechanical pattern. Counter melodies have to be based on the Key of C, however notes not in the C chord can be used but just briefly.

Depending upon how much info you can get from the MIDI file, you can put together different variations by taking other areas from the MIDI source or just repeat the one variation you have and add different additions to each variation. Most song have some natural fills and all you have to do is look for those without chord changes. I’m afraid this sound more complex than it is. Once you are into it, it’s fun.

Frank

Thanks for the response. I will try this. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online