SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#435763 - 08/09/17 05:06 AM Ipad Pro 2017
Bachus Offline

Did you ever wonder why the ipad pro got so expensive..

Thats because the 2017 version outperforms almost all Intel laptops out there.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/14/ipad-pro-versus-macbook-pro-speed-tests/

I was looking into this for the bigger screen, just for music reading. But this power could make it a replacement for virtuall instruments as well. Or Cubasis 2 for editing midi and audio

The ipad Pro model 2017 performs just as strong as any intel i7 notebook out there. And that makes the huge price more acceptable..

With so much processing power on board, it seems only a matter of time, before someone creates a high end arranger for Ipad.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#435765 - 08/09/17 05:16 AM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

#435766 - 08/09/17 06:13 AM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Its main stumbling block is that it doesn’t run a full version of the MAC OS, so software designers will need to redesign their software for iOS, whereas at the moment it’s mainly Windows or MAC (With some Linux) which with so many laptops (Or 2 in 1) available that can already run pretty much all the software out there, it’s going to be a hard sell.
After having said that, a lot of manufactures are developing software for iOS, but the software for iOS is a pale imitation of the full version.
Still, always good to have options.
Bill

#435777 - 08/09/17 09:41 AM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: abacus]
Torch Offline

Bachus, I thought you were going to say the iPad Pro 2017 got so expensive because it is now built in the US. In that case, I would cheer for and support Apple. Sorry for being political a bit here, but it just doesn’t sit very well with me that Apple a company that takes privacy too seriously to cooperate with our own government and yet allows China to have a server in Beijing where they collect the data of Chinese users of Apple devices and block a number of apps in Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan at the request of China. I stopped using one of the best web browsers “made in China” after a computer security company noticed that this Chinese made browser sends user data on a regular base to a server in Beijing without the user knowing about it.

Other than this, what Bill said about OS came to my mind. It’s not just sheer muscle power, but the OS that really counts.

Edited by Torch (08/09/17 09:43 AM)
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#435779 - 08/09/17 09:57 AM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: Torch]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Torch
Bachus, I thought you were going to say the iPad Pro 2017 got so expensive because it is now built in the US. In that case, I would cheer for and support Apple. Sorry for being political a bit here, but it just doesn’t sit very well with me that Apple a company that takes privacy too seriously to cooperate with our own government and yet allows China to have a server in Beijing where they collect the data of Chinese users of Apple devices and block a number of apps in Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan at the request of China. I stopped using one of the best web browsers “made in China” after a computer security company noticed that this Chinese made browser sends user data on a regular base to a server in Beijing without the user knowing about it.

Other than this, what Bill said about OS came to my mind. It’s not just sheer muscle power, but the OS that really counts.

First off... the only thing that counts is making money for Apple, and if that takes using chineese labour slaves then they are obviously okay with it... i wish this was different.. but its not only apple but most multinationals choosing this path.

And then about the OS, the OS is not a minus for the ipad, but a pro.. all older OS and the programs running on them are burdened with old code making things slow and over complicated. OSX is by most insiders seen as the most efficient client OS available..

And since apple is opening up the filesystem with the next upgrade, it seems they are making another step. OSX's future is mean and lean apps/programs that exactly do what you want.. for music making, ever since we have seen audiobus which creates both audio as wel as midi routing network on the ipad, IOS might have a huge future because its so easy to take it everywhere with you and still have the power of a desktop in your pocket.

We might even see the opposite of what Bill just said, and that is IOS comming to macbooks in the future, ....

#435785 - 08/09/17 11:06 AM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: Bachus]
Torch Offline

Bachus, "Opening up the file system?" That's interesting. The IOS is becoming more like a desktop OS. I see all your points and actually I agree to every point you made. I was on the other side of the same coin. I, too, like the efficiency of the IOS and I had been wondering if it will ever come to laptop. I don't think MS neither Apple will ever merge their junior OS with the desktop OS. What do you think? I toyed with using Android in my PC, but Microsoft will doesn't really allow PC manufacturers to run dual OSes.

With all the power of the new iPad Pro 2017, there needs to be apps that can do something like Mainstage, VSTs, and all that.

Thanks for the great information.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#435817 - 08/09/17 07:17 PM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: Bachus]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

After lots of consideration I recently purchased an iPad Pro 12.9. I’m running the beta version of iOS 11 that will be released to the general public this September. This latest release is impressive iPad,performance is outstanding. I echo Bachus comments in his original post. I primarily purchased it for my photography hobby, the camera on the iPad Pro is impressive as well. IOS and OS X are getting closer with every release. This may not be a replacement for a MacBook Pro laptop it’s getting close........yes the opening of the file system is a real plus.

#435818 - 08/10/17 02:26 AM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

Just have a look at these 2 video's they show that virtual instruments on the ipad have grown close to whats on Windows.. same quallity, but a heap cheeper.

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/400/icathedral-classical-music-ipad

The churchorgan is incredible versatile, and miroslav uses the same libraries as on PC..

Keep in mind tough, that when using the ipad as an instrument, you want atleast the 256GB version of the pro..

#435821 - 08/10/17 04:06 AM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

Ithis is Beatmaker 3, the most advanced DAW for Ipad
Its only €20 and offers all you will probably need.

#435823 - 08/10/17 04:20 AM Re: Ipad Pro 2017 [Re: Bachus]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I currently have a budget Windows 10 tablet that I use mostly for web browsing, media consumption, email checking. I find the idea of using this to integrate with my keyboard very interesting, but it doesn't have the processing power or storage capability.

I always thought of iPads with a usable anount of memery as exepensive but comparing an iPad pro to a Microsoft Surface or other high-end windows tablet / 2-in-1 then it doesn't seem so expensive after all.

Also with Yamaha producing a lot of Apps these days (and I have a T3 and P255) the appeal increases, despite my long-term antipathy to "the way of Apple".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online