SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#434543 - 07/17/17 09:13 AM Cutting back/maybe quitting.
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
With hip issues and my music partner(my wife) losing interest, I have cancelled future gigs.

I paid off my equipment by playing...most I could hope for around here.

So, we'll see what happens...maybe I'll get fired up to get back in it down the road.

smile

#434544 - 07/17/17 09:19 AM Re: Cutting back/maybe quitting. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Sad news for sure,for you and your fans.
I hope you will still keep playing music in your life at home and wish you good luck..

take care

#434545 - 07/17/17 09:26 AM Re: Cutting back/maybe quitting. [Re: guitpic1]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been there, friend. But, every time, I heard a new song that put me right back in the race. Songs like Walk don't Run as a 12 year old. Spring can really hang you up. Masquerade. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.

Learning this material and putting your style stamp on it does wonders for the spirit.

I was cut badly on the left hand and never fully recovered. I was feeling sorry for myself. Then I heard a relative unknown play Europa at a summer NAMM (Frankie Ciella? great player!).

That did it. Now, I'm plying 60 hours a month in a studio on national films, do about 20 other scores for individual clients, play 4 nights a week at a club on piano and many other jobs; some with my son (bass) and grandson (drums).

Take a week off, but keep your ears open. And, play while you can. I know my years are numbered, but I'll hang in there until the end, which is at the point where I'll embarrass myself.

When it's over, instead of being sad, I'll be so thankful for the years I was able to "ENJOY THE GREAT RIDE".

All the best.,..

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/17/17 09:27 AM)

#434559 - 07/17/17 02:46 PM Re: Cutting back/maybe quitting. [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There comes a time, and I knew full well when that time came, that you come to the stark realization that your mind keeps making appointments your body cannot possibly keep. There are lots of other neat things in this world to explore, so get out there and enjoy what little time you have remaining in your life. As an old friend once said "Life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end of the roll, the faster it comes off." He hit the nail on the head!

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#434568 - 07/17/17 05:37 PM Re: Cutting back/maybe quitting. [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Recently, instead of turning down gigs because my wife is working, I have been taking solo gigs. It's a way to open a door for future gigs for the duo. We only do 12-20 gigs per year. It prevents burnout.

Step back... review... you'll get back into it if want... if not, on to the next thing!

Take care!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#434667 - 07/19/17 03:54 AM Re: Cutting back/maybe quitting. [Re: shueymusic]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Tx for the comments. I've put a hold on my solo gigs as well.

#434774 - 07/20/17 03:21 PM Re: Cutting back/maybe quitting. [Re: guitpic1]
Johnmak Offline

Loc: Vietnam
Sad to hear you're thinking of "pulling the pin". Music (playing) becomes such a big part of ones life it's a real wrench when you stop - voluntarily or otherwise.
But you have nice gear and I'm sure you'll still enjoy playing at home.
And many thanks for the helpful messages you have sent me guitpic.
Happy trails.

#434781 - 07/20/17 06:11 PM Re: Cutting back/maybe quitting. [Re: Johnmak]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
No problem, make the decision to leave the music business.

This type of decisions is reversible -- with your talent you will not have a problem coming back. Years back I did the same thing.
Divorce is different, hard coming back from that one. (smile)

John C.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online