SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#434761 - 07/20/17 08:43 AM Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am absolutely delighted with my new SK1, and with all the extra voices, it is perfect for my band. Always trying to push the envelope, I am thinking of light weight additions to add rhythm for other occasions. I sold John C my old Korg Mini, but need something where I have the Hammond on the bottom and trigger the rhythm from the left hand and play occasional non organ lead on top.

#434762 - 07/20/17 01:00 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I am absolutely delighted with my new SK1, and with all the extra voices, it is perfect for my band. Always trying to push the envelope, I am thinking of light weight additions to add rhythm for other occasions. I sold John C my old Korg Mini, but need something where I have the Hammond on the bottom and trigger the rhythm from the left hand and play occasional non organ lead on top.

Bernie A MIDJAY pro would be perfect for your setup with the SK1...why carry another keyboard..?

keys

Edited by Dnj (07/20/17 01:19 PM)

#434763 - 07/20/17 01:05 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Maybe a Roland BK5? 16 lbs. 9 oz grin

I know where you can get one bounce

Edited by Scott Langholff (07/20/17 01:15 PM)

#434765 - 07/20/17 01:24 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Ha Ha Scott, I bet you do.

#434767 - 07/20/17 01:34 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Donny,
I thought about MidJay Pro or SD40, but with l/h organ,e.g.,how would I switch from r/h SK1 to Ketron voice without a lot of key presses? The rhythm part is great. I have my S910 on top now, but---two keyboards.

#434769 - 07/20/17 01:42 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bernie, BK7m. Great sounding drums and decent drum patterns. I don't gig anymore but in my rehearsal room, that is what I use with my Organ. Better than a drum machine.

chas

#434770 - 07/20/17 01:45 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Donny,
I thought about MidJay Pro or SD40, but with l/h organ,e.g.,how would I switch from r/h SK1 to Ketron voice without a lot of key presses? The rhythm part is great. I have my S910 on top now, but---two keyboards.

That should be possible trough midi controll...

This is however exactly the reason that i like the Nord stage so much..
The nord stage has 2 external midi channels directly controllable as if they where internal instruments
One for left, one for right hand on the sd40 c

Archieving this from the sk1 might be much more complicated...
Yet instruments like sk1, Nord stage, roland rd2000
But also Korg Kronos and Yamaha montage
Are perfect for use with an arranger module..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#434771 - 07/20/17 01:47 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Bernie, BK7m. Great sounding drums and decent drum patterns. I don't gig anymore but in my rehearsal room, that is what I use with my Organ. Better than a drum machine.

chas
well, that is only available as used parts...
And does not come close to the SD40

#434772 - 07/20/17 02:50 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Bk7m - 1000.00 new from two sellers on ebay in USA
SD40 - 2000.00 from one seller in Poland

Not PUSHING anything (or putting down other suggestions) but availability IS a factor.

chas

#434775 - 07/20/17 03:41 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Bachus

chas

Why a used part, it’s still in production and can be picked up at virtually all music shops that sell keyboards, not forgetting all the online music stores.

Bill

#434779 - 07/20/17 04:38 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: abacus]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have Don's old Midjay. Was going to try it with the new Hammond this weekend.

R.

#434782 - 07/20/17 07:39 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ
I have Don's old Midjay. Was going to try it with the new Hammond this weekend.

R.

Be careful, I think I left a Jimmy Buffet registration in there!

#434784 - 07/21/17 12:29 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus

chas

Why a used part, it’s still in production and can be picked up at virtually all music shops that sell keyboards, not forgetting all the online music stores.

Bill
old stock...

There hasnt been produced a single bk7 since Roland Italy was closed..

#434787 - 07/21/17 01:30 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

The question still remains whether a module of any kind can be used effectively with the SK1 when it comes to changing leads between the two. Once this is answered, I can know which way to go. I can see that layering is what would happen, most likely. If so, it would be a question of r/h volume, I guess.

The following I know:
1. Rhythm is most important, and easily attainable either way.
2. modules would provide the rhythm and, at least, layering.
3. The SK1 has libraries of other acoustic and electronic sounds that I can very easily layer or solo on r/h. However, not the quality of good modules or kbs, I would guess.
4. As a compromise, I would reluctantly go with a second keyboard, but would rather have an SD40.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and would really like to know from you midi gurus the answer to the r/h lead question.

#434788 - 07/21/17 01:40 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: abacus]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bernie I still have the Korg Mini, it’s in my closet never got to use it. It’s yours if you wish.
John C.

#434796 - 07/21/17 04:37 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

The question still remains whether a module of any kind can be used effectively with the SK1 when it comes to changing leads between the two. Once this is answered, I can know which way to go. I can see that layering is what would happen, most likely. If so, it would be a question of r/h volume, I guess.

The following I know:
3. The SK1 has libraries of other acoustic and electronic sounds that I can very easily layer or solo on r/h. However, not the quality of good modules or kbs, I would guess.
4. As a compromise, I would reluctantly go with a second keyboard, but would rather have an SD40.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and would really like to know from you midi gurus the answer to the r/h lead question.

Bernie sounds like your struggling to make the SK1 into an arranger somehow I can understand that coming from your arranger KB experience and miss the accompaniment features,...but you also have some very fine arranger kbs that can do the same job "all in one" correct?
what am I missing here?..

#434797 - 07/21/17 04:48 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

The following I know:

Bernie, i checked the manuall...

The voice structure of the SK1, allows for 1 upper, 1 lower and one extra voice(which can be assigned to either lower or upper..

On top of that there are 3 extra voices assigned to midi channels, you can program that extra voices keyrange....

You can assign all these 6 voices (3 internal and 3 external voices) to a patch which is kind of a keyboardset on the pa4x...

You can assign these patches to your favorite buttons on the SK1.. so if you created a patch that only sends on external 1 midi zone and then assign that to the midi channel where the sd40 receives midi for rughthand voices, you would have a single button to switch between sk1 righthand and SD40 righthand..

So basically with some diving into the menu's and some programming you can create exactly what you want... a single button on your sk1 to switch between sk1 voices and sd40 voices...

So yes, the sk1 can work perfectly together with the SD40, if you know how to program it.. ( all according to me diving into the manuall, not from handson experience)

Ceck the manual HERE

#434798 - 07/21/17 04:55 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

John- Thanks for the offer. I will see what it comes down to.

Donny-It comes down to the sound and weight. The way they ramp up the lower drum along with the horns. In addition to the Leslie accuracy and flexibility, the sound itself is much more reminiscent to me of the B3. It is better to me than the Nord or Pa4X in that regard. I may not be an expert on midi, but the B3 is a different matter.

Edited by Bernie9 (07/21/17 04:57 AM)

#434799 - 07/21/17 05:08 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

John- Thanks for the offer. I will see what it comes down to.

Donny-It comes down to the sound and weight. The way they ramp up the lower drum along with the horns. In addition to the Leslie accuracy and flexibility, the sound itself is much more reminiscent to me of the B3. It is better to me than the Nord or Pa4X in that regard. I may not be an expert on midi, but the B3 is a different matter.

Berie I wish you all the luck in whatever your trying to accomplish with this new setup which is a bit unclear to me at this time..at the end of the day what exactly are you trying to do musically with the SK1 vs your arrangers when performing? confused1

#434802 - 07/21/17 05:50 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

chas

Bill
old stock...

Not sure of the relevance of Roland Italy as the BK7m is made in China, as far as I am aware Roland Italy had nothing to do with the BK7m as it was conceived by Roland US and selected for production via Roland Japan. (It was going to be the replacement for the Roland G70 called the G90, however when Roland pulled out of the TOTL Arranger market, all the development was incorporated into the BK7m)
In addition if a product is discontinued it says so on the Roland website, yet all the Roland sites still have a buy now button, not a discontinued button.

Bill

#434806 - 07/21/17 07:18 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

I can buy a used BK7M at Reverb for $599 in excellent condition. It is no bigger than a book and Chas likes it. If I use it for accomp only, it would make a light rig for sure.

#434809 - 07/21/17 07:29 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

I can buy a used BK7M at Reverb for $599 in excellent condition. It is no bigger than a book and Chas likes it. If I use it for accomp only, it would make a light rig for sure.

now your talking Bernie keep us posted when you get the BK7m cool2

also have you thought about using a laptop with Varranger for styles with the SK1...being you use a laptop on jobs for Mp3s too correct?

Edited by Dnj (07/21/17 07:50 AM)

#434810 - 07/21/17 07:35 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Bill
old stock...

Not sure of the relevance of Roland Italy as the BK7m is made in China, as far as I am aware Roland Italy had nothing to do with the BK7m as it was conceived by Roland US and selected for production via Roland Japan. (It was going to be the replacement for the Roland G70 called the G90, however when Roland pulled out of the TOTL Arranger market, all the development was incorporated into the BK7m)
In addition if a product is discontinued it says so on the Roland website, yet all the Roland sites still have a buy now button, not a discontinued button.

Bill

The whole BK series as well as all previous Roland arrangers where designed by Roland Italy. Who have allways been a semi independant part of Roland. So yes, the BK7 was developed in Italy.

But thats not the discussion here... its about Bernie that wants to couple his SK1 with the Ketron SD40...

Edited by Bachus (07/21/17 07:36 AM)

#434811 - 07/21/17 08:04 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

If I can't use the lead sounds easily on my SK1, the SD40 would be an overkill. In that case, a cheaper module would be more practical.

#434813 - 07/21/17 09:02 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dammit, Mason. If you weren't so damn tall, I'd kick you *SS!

R.

#434815 - 07/21/17 09:21 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ
Dammit, Mason. If you weren't so damn tall, I'd kick you *SS!

R.

You'd probably have to stand in line! smile

#434817 - 07/21/17 10:38 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

If I can't use the lead sounds easily on my SK1, the SD40 would be an overkill. In that case, a cheaper module would be more practical.

Hi Bernie

You need to get the Midi implementation tables out for both the SK1 and your chosen module, and then write down what matches and what doesn’t before you make up a plan.
In most cases users just set up the keyboard to output left and right hand on 2 different channels, and then use the SK1 To turn the inbuilt organ sounds on and off, with the rest of control being done by the module, which is normally to the left of the keyboard. (Basically everything is controlled by the module (With foot switches if needed) with the SK1 just used for playing and organ on/off)

Hope this helps

Bill

#434818 - 07/21/17 10:48 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

[/quote]

The whole BK series as well as all previous Roland arrangers where designed by Roland Italy. Who have allways been a semi independant part of Roland. So yes, the BK7 was developed in Italy.

But thats not the discussion here... its about Bernie that wants to couple his SK1 with the Ketron SD40... [/quote]

The BK line was Roland US, (Hence its different makeup to the G & E series) however the rest of the arrangers were by Roland Italy.

Bill

#434822 - 07/21/17 12:58 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

I'll do that Bill. I see there are 9 templates including the extra channel for "OTHER" voices. I think the SK1 is capable of more than I know(like other keyboards. Thanks.

#434861 - 07/22/17 06:32 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

I'll do that Bill. I see there are 9 templates including the extra channel for "OTHER" voices. I think the SK1 is capable of more than I know(like other keyboards. Thanks.

So Bernie are you thinking of going the SK1/Arranger module route on stage? or ? confused1

#434867 - 07/22/17 07:30 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

You have to probably program your own template, to exactly archieve what you want.. this way you could use one of the favorite buttons to switch the righthand voices of the SD40 on or off.. as i explained earlier.

Edited by Bachus (07/22/17 07:32 AM)

#434880 - 07/22/17 11:17 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Factory "Favorite" Presets.......

Edited by Dnj (07/22/17 11:18 AM)

#434928 - 07/23/17 04:16 PM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: abacus]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
A Roland BK7 with a small master keyboard on top of your Hammond, great drums and styles and very good RH sounds.

#434943 - 07/24/17 03:09 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

The advantage I can see is that, although you are adding another keyboard to the rig, it would be simpler, as far as trying to properly route the midi config and turning off the SK1 if you wanted a solo voice from the exterior module.

Thanks

#434945 - 07/24/17 04:45 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

The advantage I can see is that, although you are adding another keyboard to the rig, it would be simpler, as far as trying to properly route the midi config and turning off the SK1 if you wanted a solo voice from the exterior module.

Thanks

Bernie this is where an "ALL IN ONE" Arranger like the KORG Pa4x would shine for all what your trying to do,...and you would be carrying way less gear to the gig.. wink
...good luck with your music!

Edited by Dnj (07/24/17 04:48 AM)

#434949 - 07/24/17 05:09 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Donny,

Where as I appreciate your opinions every time I ask, please give me credit for at least a modicum of intelligence. The ease of set up with as few pieces of gear as possible, is important, especially to daily gigs. In this case, the sound of the SK1, together with accomp, is what I am after. I have different set ups with different configurations that certainly contains my Pa4X, but, my SK1 is what I favor for organ. Since I gig only three times a week, sound trumps ease of set up.

As usual, thanks for your continued input.

#434950 - 07/24/17 05:18 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Donny,

Where as I appreciate your opinions every time I ask, please give me credit for at least a modicum of intelligence. The ease of set up with as few pieces of gear as possible, is important, especially to daily gigs. In this case, the sound of the SK1, together with accomp, is what I am after. I have different set ups with different configurations that certainly contains my Pa4X, but, my SK1 is what I favor for organ. Since I gig only three times a week, sound trumps ease of set up.

As usual, thanks for your continued input.

Bernie I give you much more credit then most for sure,.....I might not agree with some of it but that's your prerogative....my only thoughts are helpful ones....I just wondered if carrying an extra kb just for the organ sound which certainly can be accomplished in other ways....but its the accompaniment added part that makes me go another way....if you were to be just a solo SK1 player then the Hammond is a great lightweight flexible piece of gear to carry.......I hope it all works out for you and I wish you much luck my friend....take care.

#434951 - 07/24/17 05:22 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Some people seem to know what's best for everyone else, even if they have a long history of (apparently) not knowing what's best for themselves smile smile. Ironic.

chas

#434952 - 07/24/17 05:36 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Some people seem to know what's best for everyone else, even if they have a long history of (apparently) not knowing what's best for themselves smile smile. Ironic.

Chas
Chas again not funny imo,..don't quit your day job...
just sayin.. wink

Edited by Dnj (07/24/17 05:54 AM)

#434958 - 07/24/17 07:08 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Everything you want is possible with SK1 and SD40...

Its just a matter of figuering out how to program things...
If i lived next door, i would offer to do it for you..
Sadly someone decided to build its swimingpool between out houses.

Thats where local dealers come in handy..
They could set things up for your need..
If you are not so much of a programhead yourself.

Edited by Bachus (07/24/17 07:09 AM)

#434959 - 07/24/17 07:19 AM Re: Ideas For Supplementing Hammond SK1 for Rhythm [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

I appreciate that Bachus. I think you are right. I emailed AJ, for one, and have not had a reply back concerning availability with his package. I will see what Frank has.

Edited by Bernie9 (07/24/17 07:20 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online