SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#433665 - 06/30/17 09:27 PM Re: Observation from today [Re: travlin'easy]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Keep in mind that song is 78 years old. Why would you expect those children would respond to, or recognize it?

Gary.....because the song is a Classic that will go on forever. No different from As Time Goes By (Casablanca).

Also.....we're keeping up with ("good") new songs like Happy/Pharrell Williams and Uptown Funk. Why shouldn't they keep up with good "old" songs. And keep real music alive at the same time so we don't end up becoming a society of robots listening to and playing mechanical music."

I just wrote a few weeks ago that my audience won't "allow" me to play anything beyond the 40's, except for a few choice songs...New York, NY...Sweet Caroline. Of course, I'm exaggerating, but in general I have to keep my stuff in the 40's and sometimes even the 30's. And, personally, I still like playing those songs. There are so many Classics from that era that are still remembered that you can play them all day and not repeat a single one.

Mark

#433667 - 06/30/17 09:32 PM Re: Observation from today [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By DonM

I'll bet you will really enjoy the Korg update because it seems to bring lots of new sounds, styles and controls to suit more modern needs!

Don......I'm reading about the PA4x upgrade performing some kind of magic with the keyboard. What is the upgrade all about? Did they modernize it even more (styles, sounds, etc) or did they make it for general, more traditional use.

I'm still looking for a good cha-cha, tango, Strauss waltz, etc. No one seems to care about traditional styles anymore.

Mark

#433668 - 06/30/17 09:38 PM Re: Observation from today [Re: Steve A]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Steve A
[quote=guitpic1]

For gosh sakes if my freaking $4000 keyboard has POLKA which I will never use

I will never use a Ballroom, yet that darn thing sits on my

I want options and don't do LATIN

You might try working those styles. It may help develop your ability to play the modern stuff you want to do. No different than many rock stars study Classical music even though they'll never play it.

#433669 - 06/30/17 09:45 PM Re: Observation from today [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I haven't done it yet. I have a big job tomorrow and don't want to risk losing anything in case I screw it up. It appears to me from reading the lists of sounds and styles added that a lot of it is geared toward newer music. The 52 free styles on the Korg website are Pop, Ballad and Dance, and can only be played using the new OS 2.0 because they use the new sounds. Probably nothing I'll use there, but you never know.
I will update the first of the week.
I do know there are new sounds, new drum kits, new styles and some added operational features.
Have you considered using the midi-to-style converter? You can select a midi file and automatically convert it to a style. Some of them work great, others not so great, but it may be worth a try if you have a good midi file that includes the genre you want.

#433670 - 06/30/17 09:52 PM Re: Observation from today [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
What is the upgrade all about?

I found some info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGEHuaVd0tY
http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/pa4x/v2.php
https://soundcloud.com/korg

#433671 - 06/30/17 09:59 PM Re: Observation from today [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Don.......I rather like these new styles...and I'm not a "modern styles" person. Maybe that's why I'm not a "modern styles" person because I don't like what's been on the market pre-PA4x.

And that midi-to-style converter. I could easily buy into that. I have hundreds of great MIDI files I've collected over the years. Probably the only way I'll ever get a decent cha-cha, or even a decent (forgive me for saying the word).......POLKA!

Mark

#433698 - 07/01/17 08:34 AM Re: Observation from today [Re: Steve A]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
[quote=guitpic1]

KUDOS to KORG for putting styles that maybe you won't use but others will...I will never use a Ballroom, yet that darn thing sits on my $4000 keyboard...

Remember Korg allows you to overwrite ALL styles - trash the Polka and put in your favorites!

#433701 - 07/01/17 08:49 AM Re: Observation from today [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

My two cents ......it doesn't matter what song or how old or new it is regardless.....
but it does critically matter ....
HOW YOU PERFORM THE SONG and HOW IT SOUNDS!

As the player only you are responsible for what the audience thinks!! wink

#433702 - 07/01/17 08:50 AM Re: Observation from today [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
[quote=guitpic1]

KUDOS to KORG for putting styles that maybe you won't use but others will...I will never use a Ballroom, yet that darn thing sits on my $4000 keyboard...

Remember Korg allows you to overwrite ALL styles - trash the Polka and put in your favorites!

Exactly Dave you can make a Korg arranger any way you want......
btw with the new update dont you wish you kept your Pa4x?

That said will there even be a new OS Update for the Pa900 also now?

Edited by Dnj (07/01/17 08:51 AM)

#433742 - 07/01/17 10:01 PM Re: Observation from today [Re: Uncle Dave]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
trash the Polka and put in your favorites!

Dave.....I can see you don't read the Bible. The 8th Commandment reads "Thou shalt not trash the Polka!" smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online