SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#433100 - 06/18/17 10:06 PM something I'm still trying to figure out
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
This sequence of events started about two weeks ago and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. I’m playing this room where the residents are gathered about me sitting on chairs and couches…..about 20 of them.…..I’m playing the accordion (their preference). Perfect audience….just me and them and they‘re true listeners. Been there 21 years now and I’m still playing “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” as the most appreciated song. Which means I’m still doing 30’s and 40’s in this place. The same 30’s and 40s I’ve been doing for all these years now.

I’m always asking for requests. This time a doctor standing at the entrance of the room heard me and asked for “I Just Called To Say I Love You (Stevie Wonder).” Luckily I know it out of my head and did it to please the brass. Now, the audience clapped when I finished the song, but I know them quite well. They clap out of politeness. But the song didn’t really move them like the “Sweetheart” songs do.

Being very much into the psychology side of playing music, I analyzed the situation on the way home. I recalled one time I was there I decided to play all 50s to 80s, Save the Last Dance For Me, Leroy Brown, La Bamba, Chicago’s Color My World, Beatles, Engelbert, etc. And it was palatable for everyone….they enjoyed it. But I didn’t quite get the same response as the “Sweetheart” songs.

The only thing I came up with is…..take one of my favorites: Save the Last Dance For Me. A really great song but not easy to sing to yourself afterwards. Take Personality by Lloyd Price, or Blueberry Hill, or the Bill Haley and the Buddy Holly songs….the same. Great “listening” songs, but not songs you sing over and over to yourself, songs that just slide off your tongue, songs that fill you with emotion while you’re re-living them in your mind.

So I’m stuck playing the same tunes over and over again. That’s OK, but I’m wondering why I just can’t move forward into another era with this group, or even other groups that I play. It’s part of what I call “The Psychology of Playing Music” that I just can’t figure out.

Now I don’t think for one second what I just wrote came out the way I wanted it to because for this reason. And this is what I’m talking about when I say full time pro’s who have worked thousands of jobs vs. part-timers. That’s not being disrespectful, just maybe using the wrong terminology, But the point is……..those of us who have worked audiences for years, day in and day out, just know every little nuance about people in general and how to entertain those people (if you’ve done your homework over the years), and the best songs that work for those people. So players who have not racked up thousands of gigs under their belts are not going to understand those who have.

Examples………would you believe my best-received songs are:
Whatever Will Be, Will Be
The Blue Danube
I’ve Been Working On The Railroad
That’s Amore
Let Me Call You Sweetheart
Battle Hymn of the Republic
and just about every single song we learned in grammar school:
Alouette/ Three Blind Mice/ Hinky Dinky Parlez Vous/ Frere Jacques/ O Susanna and the rest of them.

So why would an audience prefer to hear Three Blind Mice over Boney Maronie?

I continue to play “Sweetheart” because our job is to “entertain” no matter how you have to do it, but my heart is really in the 50’s and 60’s and 70‘s.

If I didn’t say this right, I have the feeling that Uncle Dave can fill in the blanks!

#433102 - 06/19/17 02:35 AM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have been playing to audiences for over 50 years, but still learn from the "pros" that have had more experience, and experiences. Your question is very interesting to me, as I, like others, never know for sure what goes over the best. I suppose the trick is knowing your audience and being able to tell polite applause from sincere appreciation. I thought you could merely judge the age and play songs from their era, but, as you say, it doesn't always work out.

Good topic and post.
Bernie

#433110 - 06/19/17 04:39 AM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: Mark79100]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Interesting topic Mark.

There is such a variety of senior venues from Social Clubs, Country Clubs, Independent Living, Assisted Living, Nursing and Rehab, Memory Care. The challenge when booked to play one you have never played before is to "Find The Handle" (to use a baseball term). What works at one may, or may not, work at another. Experiment with variety. Find the handle for each venue.
Eddie

#433111 - 06/19/17 05:36 AM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

I say this with the utmost respect,......many players pro full time players doesn't mean that they are "that good" to their audiences even though they think they are in their own head, but it doesn't mean its ever too late to improve,...this alone contributes to Luke warm receptive audience responses,.....just because someone is playing for 20, 30, 40,+ years doesn't mean they are that good and the applause will determine that every time,....the "WOW" factor must be attained 150% of the time above the others out there otherwise you just become an every day ho hum player that gets a check and sought of satisfies the audiences played for, ....
sorry for being a bit harsh but I don't know how else to be honest and say it..

Edited by Dnj (06/19/17 05:47 AM)

#433113 - 06/19/17 05:53 AM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Actually, I think you said it very well.

chas

#433114 - 06/19/17 05:57 AM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj

Actually, I think you said it very well.

chas

Thanx Chas......take care

#433127 - 06/19/17 09:18 AM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
I always enjoy reading your posts because they are thoughtful and interesting. This time I think your just overthinking the situation. We all know as people get older they cling to certain things and their comfort zones. The songs you mention are part of that for them. They are timeless songs that even if the audience doesn't open their mouths their singing along in their heads because they know these songs so well.
I've done long term gigs where every week the same people would request the same songs. I would think if it doesn't bother anyone else why should it bother me. I'm there to play for them.
Congradulations for keeping the job so long, they must really like you. And its a big bonus that your still thinking about how to make it better.

#433130 - 06/19/17 09:57 AM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's all about reading he audience, and it always has been. And, I agree with DNJ on his post above. Keep in mind that most of those folks out there in the audiences are not much older than you are. If you are playing stuff from the 20s and 30s, those are songs their fathers and mothers enjoyed when they in their 20s - not the residents. Those residents enjoyed Jim Croce and Bad Leroy Brown, and most songs from the late 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Good subject,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/19/17 01:41 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#433135 - 06/19/17 01:17 PM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: Mark79100]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Like others, I often play for assisted living folks. What to play has never been a problem. They seem to enjoy it all. I play what I like, knowing full well what they like. I take requests and learn those tunes that I don’t know. I even tell them they don’t need to applaud after each song. I had a gentleman request some barbershop songs. Four-part harmony as a solo is a little tough to do. Recently, the group requested some Stephen Foster songs. Last week I played nothing but old-time rock and roll songs. This week it’s a full hour of Hawaiian songs. It’s a special party and that’s what they want. Got it covered, with over 20 tunes learned.

#433159 - 06/19/17 10:30 PM Re: something I'm still trying to figure out [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
the "WOW" factor must be attained 150% of the time above the others out there[/b] otherwise you just become an every day ho hum player that gets a check and sought of satisfies the audiences played for, ....

Gee, thanks for passing that on, Donnie. I never knew that. I guess that's why I'm stuck playing Let Me Call You Sweetheart and Three Blind Mice over and over again. My WOW factor is subpar. As the butcher said: "Liver and Loin!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online