SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#432807 - 06/10/17 11:20 PM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Chas, its natural to be stuck and stubborn in our old ways I'm guilty of that myself to a point,.....but if new roads aren't discovered nothing gets done

Donny......in the genuine, authentic world of legit music, this is called "selling your soul to the devil!" Can you picture an opera singer discovering "new roads" by using a vocoder onstage?

#432808 - 06/10/17 11:26 PM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
No machine, gadget, gizmo, innovative keyboard, etc will ever take the place of the human brain and human emotions. Anyone can make music. Even the tooth fairy. Hardly anyone can play it with the emotion it needs to make it work.

That's good 'cause those of us who have music in our veins and can "milk" a melody line will always move up to the front of the line and in front of the button-pushers.

Bring on all these machines........the more the better. It's like fast foods now. People are so sick of eating hum-drum food they're seeking out places where they can experience "mom's old fashioned home-made apple pie."

But there are two sides to the coin. This is becoming an emotionless society. And the more "emotion-less" it becomes, the more the technological ways of making music will surge forward until actual music, played and interpreted by an actual human being, will cease to exist. At that point so will society cease to exist.

There's a story I read:

During WWII Winston Churchill was approached by his Finance Minister who said "Mr. Churchill, we've got to cut our funding for the Arts and put it towards the war effort." Churchill replied "then what are we fighting for?" (because he understood that in a society, in a culture, the Arts are what makes life worth living!)

ME: NOT the machines. If Beethoven had a choice, he would pick the piano every time. When it comes to "freedom of expression" nothing does it like the actual instrument if your goal is to make meaningful music!

Chas is right on the money with his opening remarks.

Mark

#432812 - 06/11/17 01:42 AM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Excellent Mark, and so true.

#432819 - 06/11/17 04:52 AM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Dnj

Chas, its natural to be stuck and stubborn in our old ways I'm guilty of that myself to a point,.....but if new roads aren't discovered nothing gets done

Donny......in the genuine, authentic world of legit music, this is called "selling your soul to the devil!" Can you picture an opera singer discovering "new roads" by using a vocoder onstage?

Opera singers perform with tracks vs a full orchestra all the time so do hundreds of national musical acts around the world for a reason, nothing new there,...adapting to change in normal.

Edited by Dnj (06/11/17 04:54 AM)

#432831 - 06/11/17 06:18 AM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think you're missing the point.....opera singers aren't pushing a button to trigger samples (while they lip sync), they're actually singing.

chas

#432846 - 06/11/17 08:51 AM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Why are we always encouraging people, especially kids, to abandon solid fundamentals and genuine knowledge and skill training in favor of gadgetry, "whiz-bangery", and instant gratification. The classic race towards mediocrity. There is a difference between real progress and knowledge-deficient shortcuts. JMO.

chas

Actually thats how human kind got from hunting and wearing animal hides to where we are now...

The interface and features of the mz-x are very well tought out... build and sound quallity however are below par... yet i agree with Donny, Casio redefined the interface of the arrangers for the time to come....

I am hoping someday Korg will add a pa4x, gadget(s) and 16 pads to the kronos... now that would be perfect... untill that day, i am quite happy with my pa4x, kronos, mac, ipad setup....

Edited by Bachus (06/11/17 08:55 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#432847 - 06/11/17 09:00 AM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
No machine, gadget, gizmo, innovative keyboard, etc will ever take the place of the human brain and human emotions. Anyone can make music. Even the tooth fairy. Hardly anyone can play it with the emotion it needs to make it work.

That's good 'cause those of us who have music in our veins and can "milk" a melody line will always move up to the front of the line and in front of the button-pushers.

Bring on all these machines........the more the better. It's like fast foods now. People are so sick of eating hum-drum food they're seeking out places where they can experience "mom's old fashioned home-made apple pie."

But there are two sides to the coin. This is becoming an emotionless society. And the more "emotion-less" it becomes, the more the technological ways of making music will surge forward until actual music, played and interpreted by an actual human being, will cease to exist. At that point so will society cease to exist.

There's a story I read:

During WWII Winston Churchill was approached by his Finance Minister who said "Mr. Churchill, we've got to cut our funding for the Arts and put it towards the war effort." Churchill replied "then what are we fighting for?" (because he understood that in a society, in a culture, the Arts are what makes life worth living!)

ME: NOT the machines. If Beethoven had a choice, he would pick the piano every time. When it comes to "freedom of expression" nothing does it like the actual instrument if your goal is to make meaningful music!

Chas is right on the money with his opening remarks.

Mark

I think if A Beethoven was born today.... he would use all tools available to make music as good as possible.....

http://keyszone.boards.net

#432848 - 06/11/17 09:23 AM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bachus

I think if A Beethoven was born today.... he would use all tools available to make music as good as possible.....

Yep, I can just picture Beethoven wailing away on his Casio MZ-X while his Steinway sat gathering dust in the corner. IN MY OPINION, we have/need to distinguish between technology and art. Technology, in and of itself, can duplicate art, replicate art, even ASSIST in the production of art, but it can't REPLACE (or even CREATE) art; because art is a HUMAN thing....and music IS art. AND, that Steinway will still be standing long after the MZ-X has joined the Discovery-5 in the dustbin of musical history. But I could be wrong.....

chas

#432849 - 06/11/17 09:35 AM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"During the fifty-seven years of his life, Beethoven played different kinds of keyboard instruments: in his youth, the clavichord, harpsichord, and organ; and as an adult, various fortepianos including those made by Stein, Böhm, Erard, Schantz, and Streicher (he was friendly with the Streicher Family)."
FWIW

#432850 - 06/11/17 09:40 AM Re: Evolution of arrangers Casio etc takes the lead.. [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

A creative spirit and an open mind is all it takes.... cool2

Edited by Dnj (06/11/17 09:46 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online