SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#432684 - 06/07/17 09:16 PM Break in Speakers/monitors
Torch Offline

Any expert on how to break in speakers/monitors? I Just bought the iLoud Micro Monitors for travel. I needed something that will go into my suitcase.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#432685 - 06/07/17 09:20 PM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Torch]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I never have done anything special to break in speakers. I assume they are tested at the factory and ready to go.
Just be sure the levels at each stage in your audio chain are right--no overloaded signals anywhere.

#432686 - 06/07/17 09:38 PM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Torch]
Beakybird Offline

I think breaking in is a myth. What do I know?

#432688 - 06/08/17 12:03 AM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Torch]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Having worked in the speaker industry we found sound does improves after a number of hours running.
After using for some time worth checking tightness of speaker mounting.

Edited by Graham UK (06/08/17 12:06 AM)

#432696 - 06/08/17 07:45 AM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
it's a myth, and has always been a myth.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#432703 - 06/08/17 09:59 AM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Torch]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I can't say with absolute certainty, but I have never personally noticed any kind of 'broken in' effect.

chas

#432704 - 06/08/17 10:22 AM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Torch]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Most Speakers are mechanical, so a little running in to loosen them up is best, (About 10 minutes of pink noise should do) as with anything mechanical, however, don’t expect major changes, just a little less distortion and flatter frequency response, (Easily measured so it’s not a myth) but to be honest, the acoustics of the room will dwarf the small changes.

Bill

#432707 - 06/08/17 11:19 AM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Torch]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, speakers are electro-mechanical by design, however, there are no moving components whose properties actually that stretch or contract. The only moving components is the cone, which is corrugated near the base and rim so it can move in and out, but it does not stretch. It is often made of a special type of paper that does not stretch by design, thus preventing changes in frequency response over years of usage, and changes in environmental conditions, temperature, humidity, etc... The spider, which is nothing more than a series of wires that form a magnet near the base of the cone, which reacts to the permanent magnet when changes in electrical current is detected. Obviously, the wires do not change in shape, size or elasticity.

Distortion in speakers usually is the result of either the speaker being overdriven, or something that has ripped loose either from being overdriven, or physical damage, which would cause the cone to rattle against a tear in the cone material. When I was a youngster, we frequently repaired torn speaker cones using nothing more than a piece of old tee shirt glued in place over the torn spot with rubber cement - it worked great.

Graham Crosby, an old friend, who also resides on the English Riviera, spent much of his life designing speakers. Maybe he can jump in and shed some additional information on this subject, which definitely IS a myth!

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#432718 - 06/08/17 05:04 PM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Torch]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Gary

Haven’t seen speakers like that for centuries, there made out of all sorts of materiel these days, some of which DO require to be run in, (The days of being able to stick tape or cloth on the cone to repair it have long gone) however, as I said in my previous post, the differences are dwarfed by the room acoustics.

Bill

#432730 - 06/08/17 10:55 PM Re: Break in Speakers/monitors [Re: Torch]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Speakers definitely do need to be run in . My Space station amp is definately a warmer sound than when it was initially bought . That's been the way for any amp I've owned .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online