SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#432632 - 06/05/17 08:33 AM Re: That drive to play music [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
During the last 4 - 5 years that we had the band in NY we were playing 2 - 4 gigs a weekend - all weddings or dinner dances, mostly at different venues ... Breaking down and packing up on Sunday night was brutal ... we were the UNofficial 'house band' for one catering hall and sometimes we would have back to back gigs in the same room which made things a lot easier ... there were a few weekends when we played a dinner dance Friday night, 2 weddings on Saturday and another on Sunday, all in the same room ... the biggest problem was remembering whether or not we had played a song on the current gig or the one before grin ... one good thing was the place was 5 minutes from my house ...

I fully enjoy the fact that I can still entertain people and have them comment on how strong my voice still is ... At the end of this month I have 3 'big' gigs in 4 days - a 65th birthday in MA on a Sunday, a summer picnic for our town in RI on Tuesday, and a '50's Concert' "Under The Stars" in NJ on Wednesday ... I'll be wishing I had a 'roadie' ...
I've said for a long while that "I get paid to set up and pack up - the playing I do for free" grin

#432634 - 06/05/17 09:35 AM Re: That drive to play music [Re: guitpic1]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The literal "drive" is why I finally left the trio I was with for more than 12 years..

Two hours to and two hours return,,, added up to long days.
Three and four times a week, some doubles... it started to be a job to me, and never was into it for the money..

One benefit I gained from leaving the band.... I appreciated the senior gigs more.
Half hour ride to the venue, 10 minute set up, one hour performance, and a decent pay rate.

Of course I gave up the cute summer girls ....for the walker generation grin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online