SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#432549 - 05/31/17 06:01 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: Stephenm52]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
The only phrase I know is "Donde esta el bano? ha ha Sometimes that phrase comes in handy especially when you've been drinking a lot of fluids.

I guess if you could only learn one phrase, that would be the one to learn! smile

#432550 - 05/31/17 06:02 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
I too only know one phrase,'EL TORO POO POO', which pretty much describes most of Donny's posts speculating on new unannounced arranger keyboards smile.

chas

Sólo digo' (Just sayin') smile

#432551 - 05/31/17 06:07 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I have a Puerto Rican sister in law, whom I have known long before she married my brother. I had to learn Spanish when I was around her family, otherwise I wouldn't have known if they were talking bad about me or not. wink Also learned a fair amount while in the US Navy and stationed in the Mediterranean Sea area, stopping in many Spanish ports of call. Learned there were dozens of different dialects, and some folks in the same country had trouble understanding those in other areas of the same country.

Now that my sister in law has long since moved to Florida, I rarely get to Speak or hear Spanish, therefore, I have lost a lot of my old ability to utilize the language. Still recall how to find the local bars and how to order a beer. smile Also still sing a few songs in Spanish, but mostly by phonetics - same as the songs I sing in Italian. It's a sad thing when the mind goes, and Carol told me it was the second thing to go - I don't remember what the first was.

All the best, Don,

Gary cool

Cerveza, por favor! Had a glass of dos equis tonight!
I only do La Bamba, Quando, Quando, Quando, and Before The Next Teardrop Falls in Spanish, but at least now I know what I'm saying! I'm not a sailor, I'm the damned CAPTAIN! smile

#432552 - 05/31/17 07:06 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hola Don,

I just heard a commentary on the NPR show " The Texas Standard"
The segment was called " Lingo for Gringos: Ten Spanish Words Every Texan Should Know" Both my wife and I thought it was funny, and I thought you. You can read or hear the commentary here;

http://www.texasstandard.org/stories/lingo-for-gringos-ten-spanish-words-all-anglos-should-know/

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#432553 - 05/31/17 07:09 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
One of the best reasons to learn Spanish is to be able to sing the song that sound great in the language, like La Bamba.

John C.

#432554 - 05/31/17 07:27 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
Hola Don,

I just heard a commentary on the NPR show " The Texas Standard"
The segment was called " Lingo for Gringos: Ten Spanish Words Every Texan Should Know" Both my wife and I thought it was funny, and I thought you. You can read or hear the commentary here;

http://www.texasstandard.org/stories/lingo-for-gringos-ten-spanish-words-all-anglos-should-know/

Orale! Muchas gracias amigo! Muy interesante.

#432555 - 05/31/17 07:29 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
One of the best reasons to learn Spanish is to be able to sing the song that sound great in the language, like La Bamba.

John C.

Yes it is. I've done La Bamba, from memory, for at least 40 years, but only knew what a few of the words meant. In is more meaningful now!

#432556 - 05/31/17 07:31 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John, when translated, the words of La Bamba really don't make a lot of sense, but they sure fit together well in Spanish. Same with I'll Be There Before The Last Teardrop Falls by Freddie Fender. That Spanish verse is absolutely beautiful in Spanish and flows extremely well, but when translated to English, well, it kinda fall short.

Same holds true with some of the Italian songs I used to perform regularly. Never really learned much Italian when I was in the Navy or from my Italian relatives, but the songs performed by Dean Martin always sounded so romantic that I had to learn them in order to keep my music job in Baltimore's Little Italy. Phonetics worked out well for me and I really had no idea what the words I was singing actually meant.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#432560 - 06/01/17 12:33 AM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I did sing Italian, German and Jewish songs on the job; like Dom, I memorized the words. Well at least I memorized how the words sounded.

After a time it was an awakening to find my lyrics were being sung with an American flavor; the original pronunciation of the words was gone. That’s why I feel learning the language is a good idea – you can sing the song with feeling because you know what it is you are saying/singing.

John C.
PS, It’s nice to record yourself from time to time.

#432594 - 06/02/17 09:14 PM Re: OT Estoy aprendiendo español [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
John, when translated, the words of La Bamba really don't make a lot of sense, but they sure fit together well in Spanish. Same with I'll Be There Before The Last Teardrop Falls by Freddie Fender. That Spanish verse is absolutely beautiful in Spanish and flows extremely well, but when translated to English, well, it kinda fall short.

Same holds true with some of the Italian songs I used to perform regularly. Never really learned much Italian when I was in the Navy or from my Italian relatives, but the songs performed by Dean Martin always sounded so romantic that I had to learn them in order to keep my music job in Baltimore's Little Italy. Phonetics worked out well for me and I really had no idea what the words I was singing actually meant.

All the best,

Gary cool

Both songs make sense. Here is a good way to analyse La Bamba:
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/ritchie_valens/la_bamba.html

Teardrop:

Si te quire de verdad
Y te da felicidad
Te deseo lo mas bueno pa' los dos
Pero si te hace llorar
A mi me puedes hablar
Y estare contigo cuando triste estas

It means something like this, as nearly as I can tell: