SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#432091 - 05/22/17 10:17 AM PA 4X. Editing Sounds
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I've just started to dig a bit deeper into the amazing sound editing capabilities of my 4X.

To start with, I've been watching the 4X tutorials again by Steve McNally. Also I've been reading the manual.

Page 369, in the manual, starts the in depth description of the editing capabilities.

Anybody spent any time with this info? Thoughts?

I actually enjoy some of the more techie stuff but I will say this info pushes my brain. I wish I could find a video or a workshop that goes more in depth on this. Without a better understanding, I'm not sure I will be able to take advantage of all the great editing features.

Thoughts?

#432140 - 05/22/17 10:23 PM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

To start with stick to the main edditing page..

Use your envelope generator (ADR) Fulter (Cutoff/resonance) and your LFO (Setting the vibrato)
Find out what each part does..
You can addapt every sound to your taste just using this page

Only dive deeper, if you want to create a totally new sound

http://keyszone.boards.net

#432159 - 05/23/17 09:37 AM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx Bachus.

I'm hoping to modify a sound or create a totally new sound. I'd love to figure out how to get a Hawiaain Stella guitar voice as my S970 has?

#432167 - 05/23/17 12:06 PM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: guitpic1]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1
Tx Bachus.

I'm hoping to modify a sound or create a totally new sound. I'd love to figure out how to get a Hawiaain Stella guitar voice as my S970 has?

Why not sample the sound from your Yamaha on your Korg..

#432169 - 05/23/17 02:57 PM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Fran Carango]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Tx Bachus.

Why not sample the sound from your Yamaha on your Korg..

How is this done? Great idea if it works.

#432175 - 05/23/17 04:51 PM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: guitpic1]
Fran Carango Offline

My Roland EA7, I record direct into the keyboard...usually sample C3, C4, C5 and C6, I save the samples and open multi sample, edit mode...placing the four samples in their proper range...save the Multi sample , and make a user tone from the sample..

#432176 - 05/23/17 04:53 PM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

My Roland EA7, I record direct into the keyboard...usually sample C3, C4, C5 and C6, I save the samples and open multi sample, edit mode...placing the four samples in their proper range...save the Multi sample , and make a user tone from the sample..

That sounds so easy Fran good to know

#432186 - 05/23/17 09:32 PM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

That sounds so easy... except all great tones on the yamaha are multi layered samples... if yoi want true expressiveness in your tones it will require a few more samples...

If you want to do this make sure to use a midi file, that plays the Yamaha tones at exactly the right velocity.. (to find out at which vellocity which sound samples are played use the YEM editor of your Yamaha to find out)

#432188 - 05/23/17 09:48 PM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

That sounds so easy... except all great tones on the yamaha are multi layered samples... if yoi want true expressiveness in your tones it will require a few more samples...

If you want to do this make sure to use a midi file, that plays the Yamaha tones at exactly the right velocity.. (to find out at which vellocity which sound samples are played use the YEM editor of your Yamaha to find out)

True..... most keyboard sounds are 2 or 3 velocity layered samples.... still not complicated, but time consuming..

No one will receive the level of sampling done in the recording studios of major manufacturers..
Consumer sampling is to capture the essence of the sound you want.

Edited by Fran Carango (05/23/17 09:52 PM)

#432193 - 05/24/17 04:14 AM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Fran Carango]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx guys

#432199 - 05/24/17 06:54 AM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

True..... most keyboard sounds are 2 or 3 velocity layered samples.... still not complicated, but time consuming..

No one will receive the level of sampling done in the recording studios of major manufacturers..

The hard thing when sampling is edditing the loop of each sample...

You need to eddit the loop otherwise your sample sizes become way to long. Which makes sampling a timeconsuming (but fun) thing to do..

Personally i am a big believer that you can get better and easier results from edditing your sound. Then from sampling your owns, sampling is a real art only mastered by a very few... in general thats the people making money from this..

In general when i want a sound, i search for something thats close to it (not that hard most of the time with over 1000 sounds in the database.. and then edit it to my liking.. most of the time, i get there trough the major 8 setting of each sound on the pa4x. ADSR! filter and LFO settings.. and otherwise there is a huge depth beneath that..

#432208 - 05/24/17 07:46 AM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

The hard thing when sampling is edditing the loop of each sample...

You need to eddit the loop otherwise your sample sizes become way to long. Which makes sampling a timeconsuming (but fun) thing to do..

Personally i am a big believer that you can get better and easier results from edditing your sound. Then from sampling your owns, sampling is a real art only mastered by a very few... in general thats the people making money from this..

In general when i want a sound, i search for something thats close to it (not that hard most of the time with over 1000 sounds in the database.. and then edit it to my liking.. most of the time, i get there trough the major 8 setting of each sound on the pa4x. ADSR! filter and LFO settings.. and otherwise there is a huge depth beneath that..

I agree 100 percent...

In years past I only used sampling for gimmicks.. maybe a sly vocal phrase... or something funny to lighten up an audience..

I remember spending all day trying to sample a Ketron piano... and finally deleted it. smile

#432217 - 05/24/17 08:42 AM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Sampling does have it's place if you know what your doing....don't dismiss it so lightly it's a very, very, powerful amazing tool in so many ways to create an arrangement or new sounds ......

Edited by Dnj (05/24/17 08:46 AM)

#432260 - 05/25/17 09:48 AM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx all. Good stuff.

Presently I'm exploring the deeper editing on my 4X. Can't say I understand much of it yet.

confused1

#432265 - 05/25/17 10:31 AM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Tx all. Good stuff.

Presently I'm exploring the deeper editing on my 4X. Can't say I understand much of it yet.

confused1

Its definitely a "learning curve" if you really want to dig in and make the Pa4x your very own to sound amazing...it can be done!!....read the manual, watch videos, ask questions on the KORG forums, http://www.korgforums.com/forums-frame.htm
anything you can be confused about has already happened to someone else they are a worldwide nice bunch that have helped me many many times when needed,......but once you learn it you'll be happy you took the time sometimes months to get it right.....your music is worth it I would say...good luck....if you need help just shout.

#432273 - 05/25/17 11:42 AM Re: PA 4X. Editing Sounds [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Tx all. Good stuff.

confused1

First you need some understanding of synthesis...

Best start HERE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online