SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#431889 - 05/19/17 07:59 AM Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel
Beakybird Offline

These two keyboards are the same size, and I'm hoping that I can sneak one as a carry-on even though they exceed baggage requirements in length, but they're only 3.5 inches thick.

The Roland Go Piano is 61 keys and operates on batteries. These are big pluses for me. I can see me practicing with headphones at the airport.

The Yamaha MX-49 has only 49 keys, but it has so many cool sounds that I thought I could use it at home as a sound bank.

I already own a PSR-S970. The MX-49 has 1000 tones from the Motif. Is there going to be a lot of sounds on the MX-49 that I would enjoy it at home?

The MX-49 is $200 more even though I saw an open box one for $100 more than the Roland Go piano.

I'm assuming they both have kind of crappy synth-like keys. You got to make sacrifices when you're on the go.

#431890 - 05/19/17 08:11 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

May I ask is this "traveling" for gigs or vacation etc,.... as these mentioned dont have arranger features unless you playing against backing tracks?....if sacrifices have to be made for travel only smaller (keys)
but certainly gigable as I can attest to many times Ive used it on stage the KORG Micro is perfect styles, lightweight great sound on board speakers.....for practice or travel its very efficient.

http://i.korg.com/microarranger

Edited by Dnj (05/19/17 08:26 AM)

#431893 - 05/19/17 08:52 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, that makes no sense at all. Anyone that is intending to perform while traveling, such as I did when I traveled to the Florida Keys by boat and car, would also be taking their entire rig, keyboard stand, gig bag, custom console with laptop, complete PA system, and of course their BEST keyboard. The micro-arranger is just a smaller, arranger keyboard that IMHO, doesn't sound very good. I want my audiences to hear the best I have to offer - and nothing less!

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431894 - 05/19/17 08:55 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

It's just to bang around on when I'm traveling. I want to have full-width keys.

What I like about the Roland Go Piano is it doesn't waste any space on the sides of the keys, so it's almost the same width as the MX-49 but it has 61 keys.

More keys, AC/DC, I give the edge to the Roland for travel, but
the MX49 has all of those great EPs, organs, and synth sounds. Does it have stuff that I would want to use at home that my PSR-S970 doesn't have?

#431896 - 05/19/17 09:02 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Gary I have personally gigged with the Micro and it can be made to sound very good, yes it makes alot of sense, believe me I have played with groups all over the world years ago and used alot of gear that wasn't mine you just make it work with your talents and experience,......have you gigged with the micro vsv just a few minutes in a store?.....also when traveling many times just your Kb is all you need especially if your visiting someone and can rent or borrow gear just for the gig with out having to carry it yourself especially on a plane..the micro certainly has its attributes if you know how to use it.

Hope your sailing in this very warm weather....

take care

#431897 - 05/19/17 09:05 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Beakybird
It's just to bang around on when I'm traveling. I want to have full-width keys.

What I like about the Roland Go Piano is it doesn't waste any space on the sides of the keys, so it's almost the same width as the MX-49 but it has 61 keys.

More keys, AC/DC, I give the edge to the Roland for travel, but
the MX49 has all of those great EPs, organs, and synth sounds. Does it have stuff that I would want to use at home that my PSR-S970 doesn't have?

Larry thanx for adding more detailed info...if I'd known that I wouldn't have offered the info,.....have fun in your travels..
and whatever you choose...that said the Roland GO Piano is a good sounding choice.

Edited by Dnj (05/19/17 09:06 AM)

#431898 - 05/19/17 09:06 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Carbon49

If you have an iPhone, or iPad - this is a cheap, teeny-tiny option to let you play anywhere! There's even a grove to hold the device at a good viewing angle.

#431900 - 05/19/17 09:37 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, the only time I played one was in the local music store - I was not enthralled with the sounds I heard. And, it's not all that much smaller or lighter than the S-970. I would much rather play the S-970.

As for borrowing or renting gear for a job, NAH! No one in their right mind is going to loan someone their PA system, and renting one makes absolutely no sense at all, knowing how little the jobs pay on average.

As for the sailing, too hot and humid to sail when you have bad lungs. It's 95 here right now with a humidity of 90 percent. Much cooler in the Florida Keys where it's just 88 degrees and 60 percent humidity.

All the best,

Gary cool

#431901 - 05/19/17 09:59 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Carbon49

If you have an iPhone, or iPad - this is a cheap, teeny-tiny option to let you play anywhere! There's even a grove to hold the device at a good viewing angle.

#431902 - 05/19/17 10:00 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

If you wanted, you could put the Aiwa Exos 9 in your suitcase. It's just 18 lbs and delivers 200 continuous watts of power. And it has a lithium battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Aiwa-Exos-9-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00WF78GS4

Oh, but as an update, months ago, I returned the Aiwa Exos 9 I purchased for local gigging not because it didn't sound great, but my current rig has been so dependable and convenient, it didn't make sense to upgrade.

But that 49 key controller has some bad reviews as far as velocity sensitivity of the keys and problems interfacing with included software.

#431904 - 05/19/17 12:06 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... A number of years ago I was booked to play a wedding in North Carolina ... The people who hired me said I just needed to bring myself, but I convinced them I needed MY kb and mic ... They paid for the oversized luggage (kb) ... We spoke in advance about what I would need for a PA, kb stand etc. and everything I needed was set up when I got to the venue ...
Sometimes good things happen ...

#431905 - 05/19/17 12:17 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Gary ... A number of years ago I was booked to play a wedding in North Carolina ... The people who hired me said I just needed to bring myself, but I convinced them I needed MY kb and mic ... They paid for the oversized luggage (kb) ... We spoke in advance about what I would need for a PA, kb stand etc. and everything I needed was set up when I got to the venue ...
Sometimes good things happen ...

Tony I agree and have done many a gig away from home with no problems gear wise as long as you make the proper calls and arrangements with the venue, client, music store, etc,....

#431906 - 05/19/17 01:09 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

Weddings are an entirely different deal, as everyone well knows. Newly weds really don't care what it costs for the wedding and reception - mom and dad are footing the bill! wink I was talking about nite club and restaurant gigs, which pay the same as they did 50 years ago. I know what rental PA systems cost, at least where I live - more than the restaurant and bar jobs pay.

Gary cool

#431907 - 05/19/17 01:33 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Beakybird,
I too have owned and gigged with the Korg Microarranger. It is a real killer of an arranger. If you prefer a full arranger I would look at the Microarranger.

Deane

#431908 - 05/19/17 02:09 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By hammer
Beakybird,
I too have owned and gigged with the Korg Microarranger. It is a real killer of an arranger. If you prefer a full arranger I would look at the Microarranger.

Deane

Dean I agree it does pack a punch for a little guy very useful kb.

here's a old pic I found and a demo I recorded right out of the box with the KORG Micro arranger KB to show some of its style & sound power..

https://app.box.com/s/5pohm1babw6ptoffau0ybhzn4f0ntecl

Attachments
micro arranger.jpg

Edited by Dnj (05/19/17 02:27 PM)

#431913 - 05/19/17 02:48 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

That sounds pretty good to me ROOTB ...

#431915 - 05/19/17 03:09 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
That sounds pretty good to me ROOTB ...

Thanx Tony....all I did was hit a style pick some sounds and play I think I had the kb 10 minutes...and took it on a gig the next day also.
Its very capable for sure.

Edited by Dnj (05/19/17 03:09 PM)

#431921 - 05/19/17 03:58 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

The Korg Micro Arranger looks like an ideal arranger for traveling. If I were working in Manhattan, I could see myself zipping through the subways with the Korg + the Aiwa Exos 9 I had mentioned + a headset mic. You could do a lot of small - medium venues.

For my needs, however, I wanted full size keys to practice on, and not necessarily an arranger.

I noticed that M-Audio also makes a $99 49 key controller that gets very good reviews.

I think I'm leaning towards the Roland Go Piano, however, because it's the same length as a lot of these 49 key keyboards it having very thin side panels without a modulation and pitch bend wheel.

And it's nice to have something that runs on batteries (even though they do make $100 lithium a/c power packs). I like the idea of being able to play the keyboard with headphones while I'm stuck at the airport.

49 keys seems really shrimpy.

#431923 - 05/19/17 04:21 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

The Korg Micro Arranger looks like an ideal arranger for traveling. If I were working in Manhattan, I could see myself zipping through the subways with the Korg + the Aiwa Exos 9 I had mentioned + a headset mic. You could do a lot of small - medium venues.

For my needs, however, I wanted full size keys to practice on, and not necessarily an arranger.

I noticed that M-Audio also makes a $99 49 key controller that gets very good reviews.

I think I'm leaning towards the Roland Go Piano, however, because it's the same length as a lot of these 49 key keyboards it having very thin side panels without a modulation and pitch bend wheel.

And it's nice to have something that runs on batteries (even though they do make $100 lithium a/c power packs). I like the idea of being able to play the keyboard with headphones while I'm stuck at the airport.

49 keys seems really shrimpy.

Larry now here's an idea for you..... keys

#431924 - 05/19/17 04:23 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (05/19/17 04:27 PM)

#431927 - 05/19/17 05:46 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

That might be a good idea. There's certainly more that can be done to make keyboards more portable.

There was a keyboard that didn't take off several years ago that was a full size 88-weighted key controller that folded in half. That I would like if it worked and was affordable.

The magnetic key thing worries me though. I can see a kid doing a recital and then having the keys stick to his braces. I see lots of lawsuits.

#431943 - 05/20/17 04:03 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Here is an excellent one

Its only 37 keys, but fits your bag...
Good thing, it fits in your luggage..
Just pack 2 of these and your laptop with varranger and VST's ..
Use the most left keys to trigger arranger stuff.. and the rest for your left hand

Actually the action despite the limited keyheight does not dissapoint, i am using this one on the couch next to my wife to program new sounds in Mainstage (VST)

However, since opinions are very personal, try before you buy as allways

But this would set you up for traveling, and you could play everywhere...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#431944 - 05/20/17 04:34 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Bachus Offline

Check out a video on keyszone, it shows that you can even play some piano parts on these CME X-keys

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/316/keys-on-road

#431953 - 05/20/17 06:24 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Xkeys is a Nice idea...but the depth of the keystroke looks very very shallow,.....and you would also have to have a laptop to use it while traveling?
To me a solo piece with battery power that you can carry easily lightweight and just plug an earplug in to listen with a nice keybed would be better suited.

The Roland GO:PIANO / GO:KEYS is my choice...

Edited by Dnj (05/20/17 06:36 AM)

#431971 - 05/20/17 11:03 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Xkeys is a Nice idea...but the depth of the keystroke looks very very shallow,.....and you would also have to have a laptop to use it while traveling?
To me a solo piece with battery power that you can carry easily lightweight and just plug an earplug in to listen with a nice keybed would be better suited.

The Roland GO:PIANO / GO:KEYS is my choice...

It wasnt that hard to addapt to the keystroke... much easier then adapting to smaller keys..

The problem with the Roland Go piano and keys, is that they dont fit into your aircraft lugage... and i think thats one of the things the OP asked for..

If you are looking for something that fits into your aircraft lugage.. The X-keys are the way to go.. but then try them out before buying.. what fits my fingers migth disgust someone else..

#431975 - 05/20/17 11:39 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Bachus]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

The problem with the Roland Go piano and keys, is that they dont fit into your aircraft lugage... and i think thats one of the things the OP asked for..

I have a feeling, but I might be wrong, that the Go Piano, only being 3 1/2 inches thin, would be allowed as carry-on. I mostly fly Southwest, so if not, I can check it on the plane.

The keyboard manufacturers should definitely create a board that folds or comes apart so musicians can travel without having to pay hefty overage fees and without compromising on missing octaves.

#431977 - 05/20/17 12:24 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

I have a feeling, but I might be wrong, that the Go Piano, only being 3 1/2 inches thin, would be allowed as carry-on. I mostly fly Southwest, so if not, I can check it on the plane.

The keyboard manufacturers should definitely create a board that folds or comes apart so musicians can travel without having to pay hefty overage fees and without compromising on missing octaves.

There allready was such a keyboard..
Probably the best keyboard ever made
The VAX 77

#432001 - 05/21/17 03:34 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Dnj]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
[/quote]

Now that is cool. Too bad that it never got enough crowd-funding. Someone else is working on a similar project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DimKzODY-n4
http://www.pianodevoyage.com/

X-Key Air - I didn't care for it at all. Stylish, and full size keys, but I'd rather play mini keys with more depth. The Korg Microkeys are very playable, much cheaper than the X-Key. Also, the X-key doesn't provide a Windows BLE driver whereas Korg does.

If anyone wants to carry a grand piano, here is one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DimKzODY-n4

Edited by Torch (05/21/17 03:38 AM)
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#432082 - 05/22/17 08:38 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

I am purchasing a blue MX49 + gig bag from Frank.

Cons: Doesn't run on batteries, only 49 keys, no onboard speakers.

Pros: It has hundreds of cool sounds to noodle around on while on the go. I can see myself jamming with this keyboard while lying in bed or in the back yard, and using it as a sound bank at home while playing my 88-key digital piano or PSR-S970.

The Roland Go Piano is just a beginner piano - good for keeping up technique while traveling, but it only has a few dozen voices.

I might buy a lithium power supply so that I can play the MX49 away from an outlet.

Very excited to have a new toy.

#432083 - 05/22/17 08:40 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Larry sounds like fun good luck with your new kb....keep us posted enjoy!

#432100 - 05/22/17 11:26 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
The MicroArranger was IMO a missed opportunity. Placing the failure-prone bender to the left of the keys instead of above them makes it nearly as wide as a small 61-key keyboard with "full-size" keys such as Korg's own Kross.

The most portable arranger I can conceive of is a 32-key controller for the right hand (F1 to C3, probably 7/8 size keys) and a similar two-octave keyboard for the left hand, arranged "organ style." A foot switch or MIDI foot controller could take care of voice and program changes. You could almost play this while sitting in a coach-sized airline seat!

The keyboard controllers would drive a BK-7m or SD40 module, perhaps vArranger on a laptop, etc. The whole thing would have to run from some kind of battery pack, with voltages tailored to the various hardwares. Build it and I'll buy one!

#432115 - 05/22/17 03:07 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Larry sounds like fun good luck with your new kb....keep us posted enjoy!

Thanks! Frank gave me a great deal. No need to haggle. It looks like with an iphone/Ipad, you can open up this little keyboard to some Motif functionality.

I'll let you guys know this summer if they let me on the plane with it.

#432129 - 05/22/17 07:35 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
tony mads usa Offline

Maybe they will let you entertain the passengers while you are sitting on the tarmac for a couple of hours ... grin

#432155 - 05/23/17 07:40 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Beakybird]
zuki Offline

Enjoy the MX BLUE - what a great, inexpensive board!

I wish I didn't have some many new songs to complete on an ongoing basis. Every time I get a board like this, it takes me away from what I should be doing....so ONE board for me.

Great choice!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#432171 - 05/23/17 03:27 PM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: TedS]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
SNIP
The most portable arranger I can conceive of is a 32-key controller for the right hand (F1 to C3, probably 7/8 size keys) and a similar two-octave keyboard for the left hand, arranged "organ style." A foot switch or MIDI foot controller could take care of voice and program changes. You could almost play this while sitting in a coach-sized airline seat!

The keyboard controllers would drive a BK-7m or SD40 module, perhaps vArranger on a laptop, etc. The whole thing would have to run from some kind of battery pack, with voltages tailored to the various hardwares. Build it and I'll buy one!
I agree to your idea of the most portable arranger. I use Korg Microkey Air, vArranger on a touchscreen, and a wireless USB foot controller the Pok by Xtempo.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#432221 - 05/24/17 11:35 AM Re: Yamaha MX49 or Roland Go Piano for travel [Re: Torch]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Any videos of your setup, Torch? Also does vArranger run on iPad / iOS or a Windows tablet? Would definitely like to build something like this for occasional use.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online