SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#431580 - 05/10/17 10:35 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary, it's something that we can have many similarities and also have many differences. As nice a guy as John Denver was, I thought he was a less than average musician. I thought his material would have been much better if he had learned to play better.

To me, "world Class" and "musical Idol" is way over the mark.

That doesn't mean I'm right, it's just what I think.

Many popular writers would have benefited from music lessons. But others, I'm sure, would have played themselves out of a job (read-"got hooked on jazz").

Still, John was a positive influence on many. He just didn't do much for me.

Russ

#431585 - 05/10/17 02:06 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, I guess I really wasn't looking in depth at his musicianship, but instead, the stories those wonderful songs told. And, I don't think I'm alone in that line of thinking.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431586 - 05/10/17 03:05 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're right, Gary, but there are also many who thought he was a "bubble gum" master. I'm one of those. His pitch was so bad a band member raised the strings on all 6, but kept them in relative pitch. John screamed his voice out and had to see a Dr. That's really bad pitch.

I guess it is a shame to me that some people don't care enough about their craft to really learn it.

At least he played Guild guitars; my favorite brand.

R.

#431595 - 05/11/17 01:39 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I finally got to listen to your recording, nice.

You wrote:
“I tend to get a bit emotional, so I sit down at the keyboard and record something”.

Gary I truly understand. What comes to mind when I think of your life as a musician, teacher, and boat traveler is, well done my friend. If I ever come back this way again I would use what you have done as my guide lines.

Be well my friend, John C.

PS, About ten years ago I was singing “It Was a Very Good Year” in my studio in my home. A tear came – then I smiled and said, “Well done John be proud you’ve done a good job”.

#431596 - 05/11/17 01:53 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ my Dad who was an excellent piano player and piano tuner had perfect pitch. He was good enough to have a 15 minute spot on the radio when TV had not com yet. He could even tell how fast his car was going by the sound (pitch) of the snow tires.

A blessing? Yes. A curse? Sometimes. When we were watching a singer on TV he always had a list of corrections. He was right, but he did not enjoy the average performer.

I’m kinda glad that I have relative pitch, I get to enjoy it all.

John C.

#431598 - 05/11/17 04:32 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: bruno123]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
John,

I agree.

As musicians we are sometimes too aware of what the performers are doing or not doing.

I went too hear a band the other night with my wife, and thought the musicians were pretty average. Then I noticed the dance floor was packed on every song they played. Even though they were average, they played the songs the people wanted to hear, and had a good repoire with the audience. The crowd could care less if they played a dominant seventh chord or a diminished seventh chord.

Even my wife enjoyed the band. I became less critical and enjoyed the show for the rest of the evening, and even picked up a few pointers to use in my own performances.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (05/11/17 04:33 AM)

#431607 - 05/11/17 07:44 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Joihn and Jerry for taking time to listen to an old codger play and croon.

Gary

#431631 - 05/12/17 04:31 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Gary,

First of all, lovely rendition of this beautiful ballad. I also concur with what you say about John Denver. I saw him live here in Holland twice and though I did not enjoy his early career because his vocals were too "nasal " I very much enjoyed the way he sang and performed during the last few years before his sad departure. I guess it was about a year prior to his untimely death that he recorded a double CD and DVD with a small live audience, singing all of his greatest hitsl. To me that remains the pinacle of his audio and video material.
As my wife was a great John Denver fan I recorded a full album of John Denver songs way back in 1998 I believe. Not sure which keyboards I had at the time but I would guess a Roland G800 and a Solton (ketron) MS50. Here is a link to the same song that you introduced us to at the beginning of this thread:
https://app.box.com/s/v31upf8uj6v8v25ktaji5k4o3vhhexto

regards,
John

#431642 - 05/12/17 09:11 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

John, thank you so much for the compliments and providing your excellent rendition of this song. Outstanding performance, crisp clear, clean vocals and excellent musicianship.

All the best,

Gary

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online