SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#431510 - 05/08/17 12:34 PM Sunshine On My Shoulder...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Went up to the boat today, the wind was howling from the west at about 35 to 45 MPH, temperature was only 54 degrees, so I turned around and drove home. On the national news, there was a story about Glenn Campbell's health issues, which made me instantly think of this John Denver song.

The very first time I heard this song I fell in love with it. Not one I performed regularly, mainly because it was not a dance tune. However, the song tells such a beautiful story, one that portrays John Denver's love to his wife. The reason it reminded me of Glenn Campbell is both have incredible, caring, relationships with their wives.

According to the news story, Glenn Campbell's wife is currently providing much of his nursing care at this time, which when dealing with Alzheimers, is a 24/7 job. Unfortunately, Campbell is slowly succumbing to Alzheimers Disease and has not picked up a guitar in a couple years, but according to his wife, he still sings along with some of his songs when he hears them. Here's my rendition of Sunshine On My Shoulder performed and recorded directly to the PSR-S950.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/08/17 01:43 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431511 - 05/08/17 12:48 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Went up to the boat today, the wind was howling from the west at about 35 to 45 MPH, temperature was only 54 degrees, so I turned around and drove home. On the national news, there was a story about John Denver's health issues, which made me instantly think of this song.

The very first time I heard this song I fell in love with it. Not one I performed regularly, mainly because it was not a dance tune. However, the song tells such a beautiful story, one that portrays John Denver's love to his wife. Unfortunately, John Denver is slowly succumbing to Alzheimers Disease and has not picked up a guitar in a couple years, but according to his wife, he still sings along with some of his songs when he hears them. Here's my rendition of Sunshine On My Shoulder performed and recorded directly to the PSR-S950.

Gary cool

#431512 - 05/08/17 12:55 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think John Denver died in a plane crash (experimental class, if I remember correctly) around 1997. The song is his but the story sounds like Glenn Campbell.

chas

#431513 - 05/08/17 01:12 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Sorry, Chas, I meant Glenn Campbell. Guess my mind is shot to Hell as well. wink Thanks for point this out to me, and I have made the appropriate corrections above in the initial post.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/08/17 01:46 PM)

#431517 - 05/08/17 02:18 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
I think John Denver died in a plane crash (experimental class, if I remember correctly) around 1997. The song is his but the story sounds like Glenn Campbell.

chas

http://www.airsafe.com/events/celebs/denver.htm

#431522 - 05/08/17 05:06 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

Definitely your song! Nice job. cool

#431523 - 05/08/17 05:18 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys. Some days, especially those such as today, when I cannot go sailing or do much else, I tend to get a bit emotional, so I sit down at the keyboard and record something.

All the best,

Gary cool

#431526 - 05/08/17 06:29 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
That was beautiful Gary. I could tell you were feeling it. I felt it too and I got a bit emotional listening to your rendition. My dear brother who took his own life last September loved John Denver's music. I went back home to visit my family just a few weeks before his death and I had never seen him so happy. We took a long walk on the beach talking about all sorts of stuff and enjoyed an absolutely gorgeous Southern California day. When we got to the pier, we heard a singer performing "Sunshine on My Shoulder" My brother remarked that he always loved that song and it was a perfect song for such a lovely day. Later that day as we were saying good bye, he gave me a big huge and told me how proud he was of me. I was so happy for him as it seemed like he was cooping so well and getting over his depression. I'm thankful to say I have nothing but good memories of my brother, and " Sunshine On My Shoulder" will always bring me back to that beautiful last day I got to spend with my brother.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#431527 - 05/08/17 06:38 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Paul. I'm happy to be able to resurrect those fond memories of your brother for you. John Denver was one of my many musical idols, and his music will live on forever in the archives of great musicians and composers.

All the best,

Gary cool

#431530 - 05/08/17 07:44 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Johnmak Offline

Loc: Vietnam
A beautiful rendition Gary. So nice to hear.

#431537 - 05/09/17 05:16 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks John, I really apreciate that.

Gary cool

#431538 - 05/09/17 05:31 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary would love to hear you perform Sinatra's.. "You Make Me Feel So Young"

as you are a true Lifes inspiration to all.

Thanx

Edited by Dnj (05/09/17 09:45 AM)

#431540 - 05/09/17 05:57 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
Gary would love to hear you perform Sinatas.. "You Make Me Feel So Young"

... hmmmmmm, not familiar with Sinatas. Are they a fruity drink? Anyway, that's nice that Gary makes you feel young.
smile

#431543 - 05/09/17 07:15 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sinatas is a friend of Paul (Montunoman). He plays a washboard while he dances. It does make one feel young.
Trust me, I'm old and I know stuff.

#431544 - 05/09/17 08:06 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Very Nice Gary

#431550 - 05/09/17 09:48 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Typo corrections made..sorry....but still would love his cover..

#431551 - 05/09/17 09:48 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Typo corrections made..sorry....but still would love to hear his cover..

#431553 - 05/09/17 10:17 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys, for the compliments. I'll try the Sinatra song tonight when I get back from pulmonary rehab therapy.

All the best,

Gary cool

#431562 - 05/09/17 05:17 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, Unfortunately, I no longer have the vocal range to do You Make Me Feel So Young. I gave it my best shot, but ran out of wind about halfway through.

Thanks for asking me to give it a try,

Gary cool

#431563 - 05/09/17 05:39 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Donny, Unfortunately, I no longer have the vocal range to do You Make Me Feel So Young. I gave it my best shot, but ran out of wind about halfway through.

Thanks for asking me to give it a try,

Gary cool

That's ok Gary thanx for the effort, it is my favorite Sinatra song..
I appreciate it and understand fully.

take care

#431580 - 05/10/17 10:35 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary, it's something that we can have many similarities and also have many differences. As nice a guy as John Denver was, I thought he was a less than average musician. I thought his material would have been much better if he had learned to play better.

To me, "world Class" and "musical Idol" is way over the mark.

That doesn't mean I'm right, it's just what I think.

Many popular writers would have benefited from music lessons. But others, I'm sure, would have played themselves out of a job (read-"got hooked on jazz").

Still, John was a positive influence on many. He just didn't do much for me.

Russ

#431585 - 05/10/17 02:06 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Russ, I guess I really wasn't looking in depth at his musicianship, but instead, the stories those wonderful songs told. And, I don't think I'm alone in that line of thinking.

All the best,

Gary cool

#431586 - 05/10/17 03:05 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're right, Gary, but there are also many who thought he was a "bubble gum" master. I'm one of those. His pitch was so bad a band member raised the strings on all 6, but kept them in relative pitch. John screamed his voice out and had to see a Dr. That's really bad pitch.

I guess it is a shame to me that some people don't care enough about their craft to really learn it.

At least he played Guild guitars; my favorite brand.

R.

#431595 - 05/11/17 01:39 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I finally got to listen to your recording, nice.

You wrote:
“I tend to get a bit emotional, so I sit down at the keyboard and record something”.

Gary I truly understand. What comes to mind when I think of your life as a musician, teacher, and boat traveler is, well done my friend. If I ever come back this way again I would use what you have done as my guide lines.

Be well my friend, John C.

PS, About ten years ago I was singing “It Was a Very Good Year” in my studio in my home. A tear came – then I smiled and said, “Well done John be proud you’ve done a good job”.

#431596 - 05/11/17 01:53 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ my Dad who was an excellent piano player and piano tuner had perfect pitch. He was good enough to have a 15 minute spot on the radio when TV had not com yet. He could even tell how fast his car was going by the sound (pitch) of the snow tires.

A blessing? Yes. A curse? Sometimes. When we were watching a singer on TV he always had a list of corrections. He was right, but he did not enjoy the average performer.

I’m kinda glad that I have relative pitch, I get to enjoy it all.

John C.

#431598 - 05/11/17 04:32 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: bruno123]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
John,

I agree.

As musicians we are sometimes too aware of what the performers are doing or not doing.

I went too hear a band the other night with my wife, and thought the musicians were pretty average. Then I noticed the dance floor was packed on every song they played. Even though they were average, they played the songs the people wanted to hear, and had a good repoire with the audience. The crowd could care less if they played a dominant seventh chord or a diminished seventh chord.

Even my wife enjoyed the band. I became less critical and enjoyed the show for the rest of the evening, and even picked up a few pointers to use in my own performances.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (05/11/17 04:33 AM)

#431607 - 05/11/17 07:44 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Joihn and Jerry for taking time to listen to an old codger play and croon.

Gary

#431631 - 05/12/17 04:31 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Gary,

First of all, lovely rendition of this beautiful ballad. I also concur with what you say about John Denver. I saw him live here in Holland twice and though I did not enjoy his early career because his vocals were too "nasal " I very much enjoyed the way he sang and performed during the last few years before his sad departure. I guess it was about a year prior to his untimely death that he recorded a double CD and DVD with a small live audience, singing all of his greatest hitsl. To me that remains the pinacle of his audio and video material.
As my wife was a great John Denver fan I recorded a full album of John Denver songs way back in 1998 I believe. Not sure which keyboards I had at the time but I would guess a Roland G800 and a Solton (ketron) MS50. Here is a link to the same song that you introduced us to at the beginning of this thread:
https://app.box.com/s/v31upf8uj6v8v25ktaji5k4o3vhhexto

regards,
John

#431642 - 05/12/17 09:11 AM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

John, thank you so much for the compliments and providing your excellent rendition of this song. Outstanding performance, crisp clear, clean vocals and excellent musicianship.

All the best,

Gary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online