SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#431510 - 05/08/17 12:34 PM Sunshine On My Shoulder...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Went up to the boat today, the wind was howling from the west at about 35 to 45 MPH, temperature was only 54 degrees, so I turned around and drove home. On the national news, there was a story about Glenn Campbell's health issues, which made me instantly think of this John Denver song.

The very first time I heard this song I fell in love with it. Not one I performed regularly, mainly because it was not a dance tune. However, the song tells such a beautiful story, one that portrays John Denver's love to his wife. The reason it reminded me of Glenn Campbell is both have incredible, caring, relationships with their wives.

According to the news story, Glenn Campbell's wife is currently providing much of his nursing care at this time, which when dealing with Alzheimers, is a 24/7 job. Unfortunately, Campbell is slowly succumbing to Alzheimers Disease and has not picked up a guitar in a couple years, but according to his wife, he still sings along with some of his songs when he hears them. Here's my rendition of Sunshine On My Shoulder performed and recorded directly to the PSR-S950.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/08/17 01:43 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431511 - 05/08/17 12:48 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Went up to the boat today, the wind was howling from the west at about 35 to 45 MPH, temperature was only 54 degrees, so I turned around and drove home. On the national news, there was a story about John Denver's health issues, which made me instantly think of this song.

The very first time I heard this song I fell in love with it. Not one I performed regularly, mainly because it was not a dance tune. However, the song tells such a beautiful story, one that portrays John Denver's love to his wife. Unfortunately, John Denver is slowly succumbing to Alzheimers Disease and has not picked up a guitar in a couple years, but according to his wife, he still sings along with some of his songs when he hears them. Here's my rendition of Sunshine On My Shoulder performed and recorded directly to the PSR-S950.

Gary cool

#431512 - 05/08/17 12:55 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think John Denver died in a plane crash (experimental class, if I remember correctly) around 1997. The song is his but the story sounds like Glenn Campbell.

chas

#431513 - 05/08/17 01:12 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Sorry, Chas, I meant Glenn Campbell. Guess my mind is shot to Hell as well. wink Thanks for point this out to me, and I have made the appropriate corrections above in the initial post.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/08/17 01:46 PM)

#431517 - 05/08/17 02:18 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
I think John Denver died in a plane crash (experimental class, if I remember correctly) around 1997. The song is his but the story sounds like Glenn Campbell.

chas

http://www.airsafe.com/events/celebs/denver.htm

#431522 - 05/08/17 05:06 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

Definitely your song! Nice job. cool

#431523 - 05/08/17 05:18 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys. Some days, especially those such as today, when I cannot go sailing or do much else, I tend to get a bit emotional, so I sit down at the keyboard and record something.

All the best,

Gary cool

#431526 - 05/08/17 06:29 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
That was beautiful Gary. I could tell you were feeling it. I felt it too and I got a bit emotional listening to your rendition. My dear brother who took his own life last September loved John Denver's music. I went back home to visit my family just a few weeks before his death and I had never seen him so happy. We took a long walk on the beach talking about all sorts of stuff and enjoyed an absolutely gorgeous Southern California day. When we got to the pier, we heard a singer performing "Sunshine on My Shoulder" My brother remarked that he always loved that song and it was a perfect song for such a lovely day. Later that day as we were saying good bye, he gave me a big huge and told me how proud he was of me. I was so happy for him as it seemed like he was cooping so well and getting over his depression. I'm thankful to say I have nothing but good memories of my brother, and " Sunshine On My Shoulder" will always bring me back to that beautiful last day I got to spend with my brother.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#431527 - 05/08/17 06:38 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Paul. I'm happy to be able to resurrect those fond memories of your brother for you. John Denver was one of my many musical idols, and his music will live on forever in the archives of great musicians and composers.

All the best,

Gary cool

#431530 - 05/08/17 07:44 PM Re: Sunshine On My Shoulder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Johnmak Offline

Loc: Vietnam
A beautiful rendition Gary. So nice to hear.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online