SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#431407 - 05/05/17 03:28 PM Gigged first time today with a new friend
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
He played accordion. I did PA4X. Overall I think it went well. Crowd was well into their 80's and enjoyed waltzes/polkas where the accordion shines. Many compliments for the both of us.

PA placement could have been better. I had my JBL Eon One to my right and accordion to my left. I was in the middle.

At times, the accordion was so loud to my left, I couldn't hear my PA 4X through my JBL to my right. I think the JBL should have been between us.

Thoughts?

#431416 - 05/05/17 04:54 PM Re: Gigged first time today with a new friend [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the problems with conventional speakers is placement. The only solution I know of is to either use ear buds, or a small, wired, in the ear earphone in one ear that is connected to the earphone output of the keyboard. With the new sound columns, this problem goes away because you can place the speaker directly behind you and not experience feedback when using a super-cardiod or hyper-cardiod mic of high quality.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431421 - 05/05/17 08:10 PM Re: Gigged first time today with a new friend [Re: guitpic1]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
This reminds me of ... one of my pet peeves.. smile

After playing amplified keyboards for more than 60 years....
KEYBOARD sound should come from the ground grin

Nothing sounds more un-natural then keyboard up on a pole..

Personally, I have never used speakers on poles...I don't like that karaoke sound...and that is what you get..

There is always a way to set up ground sound systems to work on local gigs..
Tilt back, reversed to a wall, directional, stacked...etc

Does anybody like hearing a Leslie on poles crazy

I want to duplicate a stage...guitar has an amp...Drums are smack on the ground as are keys... bass player is next to the drummer..

This gives more definition .. and not the radio blend we sometimes get use to with poles..

All this for the sake of a singer eek
Maybe a singer should learn how to do sound for his/her benefit .. hanging up 10 feet on each side of the stage....really doesn't sound real confused

#431422 - 05/06/17 06:34 AM Re: Gigged first time today with a new friend [Re: guitpic1]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
On occasion I will do a gig with a guitar player or singer, and depending on the size of the room, I'll either use a HK Nano, LD Maui, HK Element, or RCF Evox, (1 of the few pluses of owning a store) I almost always seem to gravitate towards using the PA4x, but one of the great things about the PA4x is the ability to use the PAAS system to hear my mix.

I end up plugging in my duet partners feed into he aux in on the PA4x

then I mix it together until I get the mix I like coming through the PAAS, then from there, I'm pretty sure the sound coming from the PA speaker will be perfect or close to it for the audience

#431449 - 05/07/17 05:00 AM Re: Gigged first time today with a new friend [Re: frankieve]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Good points. I never thought of using AUX ins this way.

Edited by guitpic1 (05/07/17 05:04 AM)

#431461 - 05/07/17 08:59 AM Re: Gigged first time today with a new friend [Re: frankieve]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By frankieve

I end up plugging in my duet partners feed into he aux in on the PA4x then I mix it together until I get the mix I like coming through the PAAS

Frank - When I had the PAAS, the aux in signal did NOT feed through the main audio outs. Are you using the actual "aux" in, or feeding into the Mic input?
That was the main reason I sold my PAAS. Korg confirmed that it was not built to pass that signal through. Was I misled?

#431467 - 05/07/17 01:55 PM Re: Gigged first time today with a new friend [Re: guitpic1]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I think your right, I probably used the mic in, now that I think about it.

#431497 - 05/08/17 08:36 AM Re: Gigged first time today with a new friend [Re: frankieve]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By frankieve
I think your right, I probably used the mic in, now that I think about it.

I thought so. If you don't rely on the harmonizer, that's a great option. You can even further advance the versatility with a small mixer into the mic in. If the PAAS worked the way I wanted it to, I'd still have my 4x.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online