SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#431059 - 04/25/17 06:29 PM Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns
Torch Offline

Does anyone know of websites, books, or any other material that teach various styles of music and rhythm patterns such as country, blues, rock, and etc?

Thanks,
Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#431066 - 04/26/17 02:53 AM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: Torch]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Not off hand, but you can get ideas from the music finder or it's equivalent, depending on the make of keyboard.

#431067 - 04/26/17 03:14 AM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: Torch]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
You may want to tune into Youtube and do a search there, lots of instructional videos.

#431084 - 04/26/17 10:22 AM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: Torch]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but drummer Tommy Igoe has written books and produced videos called "Essential Grooves" Here he demonstrates a samba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHl_t6oGMY

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#431089 - 04/26/17 01:10 PM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: Torch]
Torch Offline

Steve, I agree that Youtube is a good source.

Montunoman, it seems that "Essential Grooves" can be helpful to me in getting a sense of various rythm patterns though I was looking for material for a piano player.

#431094 - 04/26/17 02:59 PM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: Torch]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chris, your arranger keyboard is loaded with excellent styles, all categorized and ready to play. Now all you need to do is match one of the existing styles with a song you wish to play. That can be easily done by simply going to You Tube and bring up the song, then matching the tempo of the song with the tempo button on the keyboard and going through the appropriate styles one at a time until you find one that is relatively close. It's a very simple and easy process.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431095 - 04/26/17 05:06 PM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Years ago when creating your own style was in I used drum rhythm books and bass books. Put the drum part into my Technics using Step-Time; One note at a time; and did the same for the bass parts. With my guitar background the rest was not too much of a problem.

This is what I learned:
The pros that were making the styles spent every day creating. I did not want to spend that time; nor did I have their talent.

So I learned to do what my friend Gary just posted. Find the styles that is close to the song you are working with, and then add your ideas. I use the pads as a quick fix, they do the job very well.

John C

#431098 - 04/26/17 06:08 PM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My second thought:

Sheet music; not a lead sheet. Melody line – Chords --- Right hand for piano—Left hand a chord or possibly a bass line.

Usually the sheet music has a few melody lines that helped make the song popular. Copy those lines by using Step-Record on the keyboard. They can then be used as part of the Acc. or in one of the pads.
Y
ou can also take melody lines out a midi file.
John C.

#431099 - 04/26/17 06:43 PM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: Torch]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Chris,

Sorry I think misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to make your own styles for arranger keyboards, so I thought you should start with drum patterns.

For country, blues, rock, and other popular styles , check out Mark Harrison's books. He teaches comping patterns for piano. Besides teaching the parts themselves he gets deep into the theory behind the parts so that you understand how the parts are constructed which will help you eventually make up your own parts.

Mark Harrison is an excellent teacher. I took one private lesson with him in Los Angeles and if I had the time and money I would've continued to study with him via Skype.

I'm pretty sure he has some sample lessons on YouTube. But be sure to check out some of his books. Good luck!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#431111 - 04/27/17 12:18 PM Re: Styles of Music & Rhythm Patterns [Re: montunoman]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
Chris,

Sorry I think misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to make your own styles for arranger keyboards, so I thought you should start with drum patterns.

For country, blues, rock, and other popular styles , check out Mark Harrison's books. He teaches comping patterns for piano. Besides teaching the parts themselves he gets deep into the theory behind the parts so that you understand how the parts are constructed which will help you eventually make up your own parts.

Mark Harrison is an excellent teacher. I took one private lesson with him in Los Angeles and if I had the time and money I would've continued to study with him via Skype.

I'm pretty sure he has some sample lessons on YouTube. But be sure to check out some of his books. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. While looking for books, I stumbled upon books called Pattern Play(total 6 books). They look interesting.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online