SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#433125 - 06/19/17 08:18 AM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By btweengigs
Originally Posted By DonM
I find the Maui 5s more powerful and have better bass than the Compacts!

I did an A/B test and found the Maui 5s main had to be turned up all the way and line to 3 or 4 o'clock to equal the Bose main volume up to only 10 o'clock. What am I missing?

Eddie

eddie r u running straight or thru a pre amp mixer, big difference & what is your KB master vol set for ?

Edited by Dnj (06/19/17 08:18 AM)

#433131 - 06/19/17 11:08 AM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: Steve A]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
DONE.....I ordered the BOSE L1 Model II with 1 B2 BASS & with the TONE MATCH.

I decided to add the TONE MATCH for 2 reasons....

1. I have a Neumann KMS 105, & I want to use their preset...I can route it back to my mixer

2. There also will be times where I will not want to take my mixer out (a really hot day, maybe doing 1 special song somewhere with just an acoustic guitar, Or leading worship on a stage with very little real estate, Or even for times when I am going through the house in bigger venues...) It certainly will be of use, maybe not all the time, but will be needed and I do not want to have to order it later

I also ordered a Sennheiser e 935 Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone FOR THE WIFEY to sing through......She did sign off on this & did agree the BOSE was what we needed to cut down on lugging all this gear around

#433132 - 06/19/17 12:44 PM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: Steve A]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Smart lady, Steve.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#433133 - 06/19/17 01:12 PM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: Dnj]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Donny....
It was a TRUE A/B test. Summed line out from S-970 to:
1) Bose Compact.
2) Maui 5.
No pre-amp. No mixer. KB vol set at high noon.

Maui required almost full bore to equal the Bose at 10 o'clock.

I didn't try stereo A/B even though I have a pair of each. My need for two on any job is minimal.

I'm luvin' the Maui for the smaller jobs. But, it (they, I have a pair) doesn't cut it in large venue or big crowd situation.

Eddie

#433136 - 06/19/17 01:50 PM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By btweengigs
Donny....
It was a TRUE A/B test. Summed line out from S-970 to:
1) Bose Compact.
2) Maui 5.
No pre-amp. No mixer. KB vol set at high noon.

Maui required almost full bore to equal the Bose at 10 o'clock.

I didn't try stereo A/B even though I have a pair of each. My need for two on any job is minimal.

I'm luvin' the Maui for the smaller jobs. But, it (they, I have a pair) doesn't cut it in large venue or big crowd situation.

Eddie

Try a preamp mixer.......I'd say either bose compact or maui 5 aren't enough for a large venue 250+....every system has it's limits....thats why I dumped them both...

#433137 - 06/19/17 02:24 PM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: Steve A]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The end result is that the Boses are not louder because if you get much past 10 or 12, it doesn't get louder, only goes into protection mode. The Maui's can go very loud if you turn them up.

#433139 - 06/19/17 02:47 PM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: Steve A]
travlin'easy Offline

A single Bose Compact is rated to audience sizes of up to 120, while a pair will easily handle an audience of 300, and possibly more depending upon the crowd noise.

The Bose does have an overdrive limiter, therefore you cannot push it to the distort level. I'm not sure if the Maui has this or not - I could not find this information in the specs.

With a single Bose L1 PAS (Personal Amplification System - old designation) and single B1 sub, I could easily do audiences to 1,000 outdoors and have done several that size. Indoors, it was far more than I needed for similar size venues.

My largest audience with a pair of compacts was about 400 at a pool party for a bunch of drunken investors. They were ridiculously loud, but the system cut through the crowd noise so that those who wanted to hear the music and dance could do so.

Maybe one day in the near future, I'll make a road trip to NJ to hear DNJ in action once again with his Maui 28s.

Gary cool

#433145 - 06/19/17 04:05 PM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Maybe one day in the near future, I'll make a road trip to NJ to hear DNJ in action once again with his Maui 28s.

Gary cool

Dinner on me buddy bring Carol too!! cool2

#433149 - 06/19/17 04:37 PM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: Steve A]
travlin'easy Offline

Can I come by sailboat? I know, different kind of road. wink

Gary cool

#433151 - 06/19/17 04:41 PM Re: With a great mixer in place: Bose or Speakers? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Can I come by sailboat? I know, different kind of road. wink

Gary cool

common plenty of places to dock around here on the NJ shore..

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online