SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#430011 - 03/20/17 09:12 PM Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
So....At the Church I am one man band on the Korg PA 4X & I also play acoustic guitar with sequences done on the PA 4X...My biggest problem if I can critique myself, is sometimes when I play songs my volume levels are inconsistent....So much going on & so much to remember....

After much thought I made the move today to hopefully remedy all that & at the same time improve my sound quality.....Purchased the Allen & Heath QU 24 which can remember 100 mixes or scenes....I can keep the keyboard & acoustic guitars on one volume and this has automated faders and will recall my mix instantly. Huge upgrade from my $100 Harbinger mixer.

Oh....I also upped my microphone from a Blue Encore 100 to a Neumann KMS 105

Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition

Neumann KMS 105

#430014 - 03/21/17 12:42 AM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: Steve A]
Bachus Offline

Great stuff...

Where it comes to mixers i have been converted to the Behringer camp, they offer a lot for the money.. and buildquallity really stands the last few years..

Edited by Bachus (03/21/17 12:43 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#430015 - 03/21/17 12:50 AM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Digital mixers are the best. We're trying out this one. I'm very impressed.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X32

#430021 - 03/21/17 07:53 AM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Digital mixers are the best. We're trying out this one. I'm very impressed.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X32

Inhave used the rack version of it, it was what converted me to the behringer camp..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#430023 - 03/21/17 08:35 AM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: Steve A]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I had the Behringer XR18 and now I have the A&H QU-PAC
Double the price, but better sound smile

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#430025 - 03/21/17 09:19 AM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: Steve A]
Steve A Offline

LOL....We are talking Allen & Heath here, not Behringer.....Ya'll are highjacking my thread..... darthvader

The A & H was my choice all along, though I compared it to Presonus, Behringer, Soundcraft etc...Each one eliminated themselves 1 by 1. The X-32 was the last competitor standing.....Saw a lot of features, but in the end wasn't feeling it...At least for me....BTW I got my QU 24 for only $115 more than the X32.....

Key reasons I went with Allen & Heath

1. Did my due diligence and not one review said the Behringer was better sounding head to head....not one...I'm sure the X32 sounds great, but head to head all reviews went to the QU....

2. No touchscreen.....no deal

3. Behringer over the years has had a rep for quality control issues, though this model is less so. There are still reports of issues with these, but not at an alarming rate, but they are there....I do believe the quality control is better on these, but does not match the Allen & Heath....

4. Did not want layers on stage...I want access to all 24 channels on the fly and not go through menus

5. Allen & Heath has no fan, so for studio work this is huge

6. UI for the Behringer has been compared with a NOKIA phone from the 90's....(That review concerned me, knowing my standards)

7. A lot of people use them, and I never like to walk onto a stage with what everyone else has....That is why I went Korg PA 4X.

8. Aesthetics.....The Allen & Heath is gorgeous, the Behringer is ok, but not something that takes my breath away. The QU 24 is sleek & the color scheme is awesome. Love the Chrome Edition especially.

9. I had gear lust for the Allen & Heath QU 24 for months & had to have her.....Anything else would've been "settling".....When I set my sights on something, I got to have "it"........

10. Did I mention I had to have her?

Edited by Steve A (03/21/17 09:36 AM)

#430027 - 03/21/17 10:25 AM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: Steve A]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Steve...

Great choices. I just Assistant Directed/Sound Designed for a High School version of Les Miserables. We used the Allen & Heath QU-32 with 2 stage boxes (AB-168). It was going through a $78,000 Clair Brothers sound system. The Allen & Heath really did a fantastic job. We don't have the chrome version... but it is beautiful.

I used the easily assigned "custom layer" to put the slider control I needed under my fingers. I put Aux master sends (Mix on the QU), Effect master sends, and all the other mics and "ST in" on the Custom Layer. Very handy in the middle of battle.

For the Mic you picked... great choice. My wife uses the Neumann KMS 104plus. She loves the results. I use the Shure KSM8 and it does a great job without the need of phantom power.

I also use the Korg Pa4X to lead worship. I play backing tracks I created on a Motif ES7 and launch them direct from a folder on the thumb drive. We do 4-5 songs so I put a "1_Sunday Songs" on the root directory on the Pa4X thumb drive. Once selected, it always goes back to that file. Used for the last 5 weeks and it is going well. I have a piano sound selected to play on top. And I have control of the mp3 and main sound from the sliders on top of the Pa4X.

Keep going for quality, it is worth it in the end.

BTW... What eliminated the Soundcraft Si Impact? I've been looking at one of these on Sweetwater as a B-Stock for only $1799. A lot of bang for the buck! And easy for me to transport.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#430028 - 03/21/17 12:01 PM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: shueymusic]
Steve A Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic

BTW... What eliminated the Soundcraft Si Impact? I've been looking at one of these on Sweetwater as a B-Stock for only $1799. A lot of bang for the buck! And easy for me to transport.

The Soundcraft is interesting, but didn't quite move me......

Gotta admit I was knocked over by all the features & workflow in the Allen & Heath which is perfect for my set-up.

But yeah, aesthetics is huge for me.....She is sleek & sexy, oh so colorful, & the Chrome just shines.....

The QU 24 Chrome Edition simply whispered in my ear the first day I laid eyes on her, & took my heart from the start......

#430030 - 03/21/17 01:00 PM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: Steve A]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Great choice on the Allen and Heath, there have been so many additions to that field, Yamaha's TF series is also one of the newer add-ons. Also PreSonus is coming back strong with their new addition, should be out shortly.

#430032 - 03/21/17 05:22 PM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: Steve A]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I would add Roland m200i in this price range. Probably the best sounding mixer in this price range.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#430050 - 03/23/17 10:13 AM Re: Mixer upgrade...Allen & Heath QU 24 Chrome Edition [Re: Steve A]
Steve A Offline

It is bigger than I thought...While the 16 Channel would've been more portable, this will also be used in the studio & I generally come in right around 24 tracks....

But so awesome....Will never have to remember settings again once I set these tunes up.....

I also believe I will be able to record my sequences to this from the PA 4X & have all parts on the board individually on it's own channel for much greater mixing capabilities....

It has 100 scenes, so potentially I can load 100 songs/settings....

For a one man band who plays acoustic as well, I should NEVER wonder if the song is coming out too loud or low again.....

Next upgrade is the speakers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online