SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#429937 - 03/17/17 11:57 AM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Another Caso 350 user here. Not a lot of heavy use but I didn't know if it was me or were the keys getting noisey. Still a great board for the price with lots of features. I was ready to got for the newer 360 with the touch screen and then I thought, "will I use all the extras on that 360 or do I just want a killer piano"
So I went for the Roland FP90 and its fantastic. I start playing and don't want to stop. I have it hooked up to my studio PA but lately I have just been using the onboard speakers which are more than enough. Out of the box it was good but after making a few minor adjustments in the Piano Designer section it really came alive.
The Roland 2000 uses the same keyed and Piano synthesis but gives you a bunch of live preformance options. The Kawai ES8 is also a contender but I couldn't find any serious discounts on one and I didn't need all the preformance options it had like the Roland 2000.
If you can play an FP90 do it and I'm sure you'll find the extra cost will be worth it.

Edited by Bill Lewis (03/17/17 11:59 AM)

#429939 - 03/17/17 12:03 PM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Another Caso 350 user here. Not a lot of heavy use but I didn't know if it was me or were the keys getting noisey. Still a great board for the price with lots of features. I was ready to got for the newer 360 with the touch screen and then I thought, "will I use all the extras on that 360 or do I just want a killer piano"
So I went for the Roland FP90 and its fantastic. I start playing and don't want to stop. I have it hooked up to my studio PA but lately I have just been using the onboard speakers which are more than enough. Out of the box it was good but after making a few minor adjustments in the Piano Designer section it really came alive.
The Roland 2000 uses the same keyed and Piano synthesis but gives you a bunch of live preformance options. The Kawai ES8 is also a contender but I couldn't find any serious discounts on one and I didn't need all the preformance options it had like the Roland 2000.
If you can play an FP90 do it and I'm sure you'll find the extra cost will be worth it.

The Roland RD2000 also has a more advanced effects section and a 2nd V-piano sound engine... compared to the FP90...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#430096 - 03/24/17 10:34 PM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I've been so busy, I forgot to thank you guys for all this great information you posted here. You'll never hear remarks like this from a GC or SA salesperson! All they can recite is the price!

So I copied all this info you wrote, and pasted it into my "piano notes file."

I was going to buy that Casio for $500 as I thought it was bang for the buck. But reading here about the "clicks" that develop, I decided I'd better go back to the drawing board and re-think this whole thing out before I spend any money.

Bill ordered an FP90 and I thought I'd consider that.....until I saw the weight...51 lbs without the carrying case. Even though I wrestle alligators on the weekend to stay in shape, that 51 lbs would be a deal-breaker for me.

Mark

#430097 - 03/24/17 10:39 PM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
So I went for the Roland FP90 and its fantastic. I start playing and don't want to stop.

Good for you, Bill. A "professional pianist" can't be happy with anything less than a "professional piano!"

M

#430099 - 03/25/17 01:01 AM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
I've been so busy, I forgot to thank you guys for all this great information you posted here. You'll never hear remarks like this from a GC or SA salesperson! All they can recite is the price!

So I copied all this info you wrote, and pasted it into my "piano notes file."

I was going to buy that Casio for $500 as I thought it was bang for the buck. But reading here about the "clicks" that develop, I decided I'd better go back to the drawing board and re-think this whole thing out before I spend any money.

Bill ordered an FP90 and I thought I'd consider that.....until I saw the weight...51 lbs without the carrying case. Even though I wrestle alligators on the weekend to stay in shape, that 51 lbs would be a deal-breaker for me.

Mark
. Well, thats the trade off for a high end pianomkeybed and high end build in sound

#430110 - 03/25/17 12:59 PM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Mark79100]
Beakybird Offline

I've heard great things about the Kawai ES110 - great piano sound + action. Only two sensors, so not ideal for fast repeated notes. I also read that you can use it with a $100 lithium battery power supply and play 8 hours without plugging in.

This would be my top pick among the light keyboards.

The Casio action is noisy, and gets noisier with time, but I have to give them credit, they extended the warranty 1 year when you register the keyboard at their website. And when I brought in the keyboard to repair the noisy keys - and it wasn't outrageously noisy and the keyboard played fine otherwise - Casio covered a replacement key bed for free.

I have a feeling that Casio might be replacing their Privia line this year. Hopefully, they will make some significant upgrades to their lineup.

#430111 - 03/25/17 02:25 PM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Beakybird]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Beakybird
I've heard great things about the Kawai ES110 - great piano sound + action. Only two sensors, so not ideal for fast repeated notes. I also read that you can use it with a $100 lithium battery power supply and play 8 hours without plugging in.

This would be my top pick among the light keyboards.

The Casio action is noisy, and gets noisier with time, but I have to give them credit, they extended the warranty 1 year when you register the keyboard at their website. And when I brought in the keyboard to repair the noisy keys - and it wasn't outrageously noisy and the keyboard played fine otherwise - Casio covered a replacement key bed for free.

I have a feeling that Casio might be replacing their Privia line this year. Hopefully, they will make some significant upgrades to their lineup.

Privia is a lone that continously gets updated, px560 and px360'are relatively new, as is the 160... only the stage model px5s is in need for an update.

Kawai es110 is also a good under €1000 choice..

Edited by Bachus (03/25/17 02:27 PM)

#430121 - 03/26/17 07:42 AM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
Good luck in your shopping. For full time gigging the FP90 would be too heavy. After moving it around my studio a few times geting things organized I was surprized that it didn't feel that bad. I'm going to get the Roland case for it just because. Its such a pleasure to play I'm still dreaming of that Holy Grail job where I could just play the FP90 and sing some good music and not have to worry about moving every night.
Did a 60th BD party last night at the very upscale Sea Pines resort on Hilton Head. Heritage golf tournament will be there in a few weeks and their already setting up tents for it. Halfway through the job I wondered to myself "why did I even bother to bring the BK9 keyboard ?" All they requested was the typical "Uptown Funk" DJ dance stuff and Hip Hop club music. Two IPads and one JBL speaker was all I needed.
They were happy, I was paid and treated well, got an hour overtime, but left feeling like I'd rather be playing the Baby Grand in the downstairs lobby.
On well' subject for another thread.

#430125 - 03/26/17 10:33 AM Re: Casio and Yamaha digital pianos [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

Did a 60th BD party last night at the very upscale Sea Pines resort on Hilton Head. Heritage golf tournament will be there in a few weeks and their already setting up tents for it.
On well' subject for another thread.

Bill ... not to steal THIS thread, but have been in that building (just last year, in fact) and it IS beautiful ...
Also had the opportunity to play the course a number of years ago and shot 93 from the back tees, which was great for me ... Love watching the Heritage for that reason ... Hilton Head is a great place for a vacation ...

Meanwhile, back to the OP ... wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online