Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#429493 - 03/03/17 03:06 PM Re: Roli... [Re: Uncle Dave]
MOMBOC Offline

There are a few of these types of alternative 'expressive' controllers
For example the Linnstrument
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstrument.html

I think that controllers like the Roli Seaboard and Linstrument don't get more wide spread acceptance because they require a keyboardist to learn a completely new skill - when they have already probably spent years learning to play a standard keyboard e.g. The Linnstrument would be more familiar to a guitar player

However, I have always been attracted to a keyboard based controller that would enable a keyboardist to play virtual instruments more closely to the real thing and do things like:

Bend the notes upward - like a guitarist does when he stretches the strings on the fretboard - say using polyphonic aftertouch
Add vibrato - like a violinist/cellist does when they rock their fingers on the neck/fingerboard - using left/right finger shaking on the key top
Add modulation - like a brass player does when they change their embrochure - say using channel aftertouch
Do portamento - like a trombone player does when they slide from note to note - by dragging your finger across several keytops
Change the articulation - add brass instrument falls or shakes etc - by finger slides or finger shakes

Edited by MOMBOC (03/03/17 05:08 PM)

#429495 - 03/03/17 07:28 PM Re: Roli... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Torch Offline

I spent about 30 minutes trying out the Seaboard at NAMM. The smaller one was for some reason easier to play. AT times, my fingers/nails were caught on the silicone surface. I did not really like it enough to pursue it. However, I liked their software sounds.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online